Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

#681 KY Jets Fan, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Not seeing any tweets from the beat reporters today on Twitter. Maybe they do have today off.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

"Sucks" is kinda relative though don't you think? The idea with a 4th round developmental QB pick is just that, Developmental. If James Morgan sees extended playing time early in his career it's likely because of injury and lack of financial commitment to a vet back-up.

The best case for James is 3 fold.
    1) We keep him around as the #2 in case of injury to ZW
    2) We keep him as a long term back-up to ZW with little financial hit. He can spot start when needed and will have system familiarity.
    3) He creates trade value

* Projected to be a back-up but does have a good arm and deep ball.
    James Morgan Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe I am missing the point, but there are plenty of lower draft picks/undrafted QBs who can serve as back-ups. We do not need a starter, just someone who can come in if Zach in injured. We are also not competing for SB this year where we need a really great back-up. I checked and guys like Heinicke, Hoyer, Taysom Hill, Beathard, and I am sure there are others, who ended up playing last year as back-ups are not drafted high if at all.

So, I don't see a reason why someone like Morgan can't be a back-up for us next year. As I showed just now, you don't need to be special to hold the fort as a sub as a mid round QB. If he beats out White and Johnson and generally shows decent in practices/preseason (so far so good), I for one would like to see him given a shot.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think a lot depends on what the expectation is for a back-up this year. If we want a proved top back-up like Fitzpatrick, maybe Foles, I agree Morgan is not it. But these guys are taking over 10 mil in CAP and for Foles you need to give up a draft pick too. To me this is a waste of CAP room and assets given where we are in the rebuild process. If we are SB contenders, perhaps, but we are not. Otherwise if Morgan does OK in practice, why not see what he can do on the field if Zach is injured, and use the money/assets saved on not getting a top notch QB back-up elsewhere.

7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

IMHO the only reason you spend any kind of money on a backup QB is if you think you have a chance to make a playoff run. Jets are still likely a year or two away from that.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Gase clearly had issues with being around groups of people it seemed, I think someone mentioned at his opening presser he may have aspbergers (SP). Saleh definitely engaged but he doesn’t mistreat, he wants the team to know they are men but they will be held accountable in a different way that doesn’t demean them.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Saleh treats them as young adults that he is there to mentor. Gase treated them like kids who need to follow daddy gase's instructions then yell at them if it didn't pan out. Saleh's way is much better. You get much better performance and morale out of mutual respect and players wanting to do good over players forced to try to do good.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So happy with all the early reports that we FINALLY (might) have a killer offense. Which is good since this may be it for that side of the ball for a while.

JD burnt 6 draft premium draft picks in a row all on Offense (4 players, 6 picks 1,1,2,3,3,4). Outside of a random pick here and there (TE? RG/T?) or a FA, this may be our offense going forward.

JD might very well use our top 2022 picks on D (1,1,2,2,3).

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

in my day we were more than happy to throw spaghetti at the wall

just don't understand this new generation of thinking:)

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It was VERY Interesting!

Lon Chaney likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let's see...what round was Dak Prescott drafted in? Oh yeah, the 4th round! And Tom Brady? Uh, 6th round I believe.

Yeah, I see where you can draw the conclusion that a 4th round QB should be assumed to suck without seeing him play.:rolleyes:

15. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for the link! This seems like a very objective assessment, and while some may say "Yikes! Lots of red flags!", I think a lot of his issues can be fixed over time if he works hard to do that. But you can't coach a strong arm, you either have one or you don't, so I think that's worth trying to work out all the other issues.

RochesterJet likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Here's a list of all the 4th round QBs drafted this century. Out of all 30, the only two long-term starters were Prescott and Cousins. And Orton and Garrard weren't terrible. That's it. So yeah the odds are pretty against Morgan turning out to be good.

Ian Book
    Jacob Eason
    James Morgan
    Ryan Finley
    Jarrett Stidham
    Kyle Lauletta
    Joshua Dobbs
    Connor Cook
    Dak Prescott
    Cardale Jones
    Bryce Petty
    Logan Thomas
    Tom Savage
    Matt Barkley
    Ryan Nassib
    Tyler Wilson
    Landry Jones
    Kirk Cousins
    Mike Kafka
    Stephen McGee
    Isaiah Stanback
    Kyle Orton
    Stefan Lefors
    Luke McCown
    Seneca Wallace
    David Garrard
    Rohan Davey
    Chris Weinke
    Sage Rosenfels
    Jesse Palmer

KingRoach likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're admittedly a much grimier generation.

BuddyRyans46 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Yes, fair point, but a lot has to do with the situation a guy goes into and the coaching he gets. Last year's situation with Gase was nearly the kiss of death for Morgan. Yeah, the odds are against him becoming very good, but that's all they are - odds. The only thing that really counts is performance and we haven't seen enough of that to really say.

Borat likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We don't need a long term starter. We need a guy who can hold the fort for a few games while Zach is injured. The bar is much lower. A lot of the guys you mentioned ended up getting an opportunity to be back-ups and occasionally start a game when starters were injured. So, Morgan will hold the fort, and if he beats the odds and turns out pretty good, we have a long term solution at back-up QB. If not, he held the fort for little bit, we found what we needed about him, and we move on. It really isn't a huge deal.

Also, you took the entire group of QB drafted in the 4th round. We have two other QBs in the competition. If Morgan beats them out (so far he appears to look better than White in practice), that random sampling is no longer valid. You then need to look at these 4th round picks who actually ended up beating someone in practice. Some of them who are total shit wouldn't be able to do it. Odds would increase a lot. I am confident that out of the 3 guys we will have a dude who can hold the fort, even if it is not Morgan. Though I think it will be him.

#699 Borat, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Exactly, I think we agree Morgan will likely not be a Cousins/Prescott level in the League or a starter even. But shouldn't we find out if he is at least an OK back-up?

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.