Bills and Allen agree to 6 year contract extension

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I mean this with complete sincerity: it's cool for Bills fans that they locked in their guy. Great feeling for them.

Personally, I'm still not sold that Allen is a great QB. I'd be wary of that level of commitment to him at this point.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why people are doubting Allen. He's led the bills to two playoffs in three seasons and has improved every year, even getting some MVP consideration last year. The details of his contract are a little murky though. He has an average salary of 43 million but next year he is only getting 23 million, which is pretty good (in comparison were paying Mosley nearly 18 million next season.) It looks like the contract really doesn't explode until a few years down the road which gives them plenty of time to make a SB run without overspending on Allen too much. One thing is for sure. We're going to see a lot of Allen in the 20s.

3. Snatch Catch

It's the most guaranteed money ever given to an NFL player.

ouchy likes this.
  4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The way this guy plays, he may spend a fair amount of time on IR. If I was a Bills fan I'd hope he learns how to go get down and out of bounds

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Good. I'm glad.

Because even before this long-term signing they were headed for cap hell this upcoming 2022 offseason with only $785,036 available salary cap space to spend.

Now? After giving Josh Allen $43M per year? They're going to be in absolute SALARY CAP HELL come 2022's offseason with no ability to improve throughout FA or even keep their own key players.

Joe Douglas will have over $60M to spend. Buffalo? Will be at over -40M.

6. Snatch Catch

If Allen is truly the guy, then none of this matters. If he's a top-5 QB, then the Bills will be fine no matter what his salary.

NYJalltheway, bicketybam and cval like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree and not only that but I believe only proven SB winning QBs such as Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and now Patrick Mahomes "deserves" this type of outrageous money.

And Josh Allen outside of regular season play has proven nothing.

He's got career 2-2 record during the Playoffs and during his two playoff loses (Houston/KC) he's not been good.

During his two postseason loses he's only combined for...

52/94 (55.3%), 551 passing yards, 2 TD's/1 INT and a QB Rating of only 75.1.

That's not good.

And heck even during his win vs. Baltimore last year he was mediocre to above average (at best) and was carried by his Defense against a Ravens team who could only scored 3 points. Josh Allen didn't win that game he was carried by them.

3/4 playoff games have not been good for Josh Allen. And even Mark Sanchez throughout 6 postseason games of 2009/2010 played much better than Josh Allen has throughout his first 4 playoff games.

Yes. Josh Allen had an awesome season last year with no fans in the stadium during a tainted Covid 2020 season but no. That does not mean he's worth no $258,000,000. That's nuts and it's going to haunt Buffalo for a long time once Josh Allen blows up in their face.

RochesterJet likes this.
  8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

First off, the salaries keep going up as new contracts are signed with each passing year. In 3-4 years fr now that may end up being the norm for playoff caliber QB's.

Next, your take is completely biased. Josh Allen had one real knock on him coming out of college and that was his accuracy. Hell, it even scared me at the time. But his athleticism is undeniable and he built like a linebacker. He's very hard to sack, has a cannon for an arm and can run for big gains on the ground.

Now if you want to say his completion percentage of 69.2% last year was a product of no fans, well that's your prerogative. But I think that's not the case. He's a hard working kid that is improving. If I were a Bills fan I'd be thrilled to have locked him up long term.

You tend to look at things through green colored glasses. You are the dictionary definition of a "homer."

As a Jets fan I can only worry about my team. I hope Wilson turns into a guy that we want to pay a ton of money for to keep for a long time.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

11. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I like Allen (wanted Jets to draft him), but I disagree with the timing of this on Buffalo’s end.

What is their incentive to paying him this now? I’d have let him back up his performance last year.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The money QBs are getting these days is ridiculous. You don't even need to win a Super Bowl or be a top 10 player. You just have to be good enough that your team is scared to let you go and you rake it in.

There are veterans who have given years to this game making peanuts in comparison to this, and veterans getting cut every year because their team has to bring in cheap rookies to keep under the cap.

Sooner or later, this will have to change.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Great post. Couldn't have said it better.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. Can Grande

Can Grande Active Member

Agree. They definitely have their guy. I see little to chose from right now (other than a ring and an MVP) as between Allen and Mahomes.
    In fact Allen may be better. He can now read and react as well as PM does. Proving that he could consistently make good decisions was what last year was all about. The physical ability was always there. Accuracy was always a bit of a red herring. He was never (fatally) inaccurate. He was inconsistent while growing into the position. Now he's consistent. He's bigger, faster, stronger than PM. In terms of progressing towards a ceiling the mo is with Allen.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I really like Josh Allen, but saying he may be better than Mahomes is pretty crazy.

Jets_Grinch and bicketybam like this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

abyzmul likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This will look like a bargain when Murray, Herbert, and Burrow get their second contracts.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  18. Can Grande

Can Grande Active Member

You have a point. Mine is certainly an outlier as opinions go.