Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree on Moore. It is hard to contain the excitement. Add in his ability to run the Jet sweep and he should be in the lineup every play.
    Cole might be ahead of Crowder and there might be a gap between the top 3 of Davis, Cole and Moore and the next tier of Crowder and Mimms. But, my guess is there will be a rotation where all 5 get used quite a bit and all 5 are quasi starters. But, Saleh gave a hint in yesterday's press conference where he said in crunch time, goal line and 3rd down, our best guys that we trust will be on the field.

Saleh talked a bit about Mimms I think it was today and what he needs to work on. He described it as the ability to work as a WR in a phone booth. That he needs to adjust ftom having room at the LOS to having to fight for every inch on his route. It is worth a listen.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah.... I dig it too.

Gets me revved up for the season and familiar with the new players.

It is funny that it becomes an emotional roller coaster for some fanatics.

"Zach threw an interception... he sucks.... he's a bust!"

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and FJF like this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

This is why UNC fans loved and adored this kid. He's already capturing our hearts and he'll become super fun to watch come game time.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I don't think there's a single Rookie WR who's dominated OTA's/Mini-camp/Training Camp quite like Elijah Moore has. This kid is going to become better than DeVonta Smith and I think he already is because he wasn't surrounded by A+ NFL talent on Alabama as was Smith but yet Elijah still destroyed the SEC.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for any of the 1st round WRs drafted not Chase not Waddle not Smith not any of them. We've got ourselves a great one. His change of direction and cutback ability is something I've never seen from a Jets WR. Ever.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good heaven, what an innovative concept. Absolute music to my ears. That is why I love this coaching staff, and that is why I disagree with the notion that Mimms does not fit the system, because the system will be tailored to each players strength and is play specific. Finally we are moving out of the dark ages.

#566 LAJet, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

where have you read cole is in front of crowder? I haven't seen that personally but i guess it's possible. with mims I like his radius and ability to CIT but he doesn't gain seperation and his play speed doens't match his 40 time from what I've seen

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have seen it in a number of tweets where it is speculated Coles is the 2nd or 3rd WR as he is almost always with the ones

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

What about Jerry Jeudy?

barfolomew and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Anybody miss Gase and his pudgy protege?

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hear that Gase thinks Frank Gore would be a great fit for our offense.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I loved Jerry Jeudy and still do but never as much as I did Elijah Moore. I created a thread about Elijah Moore months before we ever drafted him. Because he was destroying the SEC. Broke Ole' Mississippi's All-Time single season receiving record for most most catches during a single season. And he broke it during only 8 games too; he's on a completely different level in terms of playmaking ability and overall explosiveness. I still can not believe how Jacksonville passed on him and/or how our Jets didn't pass on him. Times have changed and it's pretty refreshing.

barfolomew, PJ4Ever and Jets79 like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I loved him and Javonte Williams coming out of UNC and was pumped when the Jets snagged Carter in the 4th. He's a playmaker and a strong scheme fit, he's going to be a really good ball player.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I have seen cole and davis are the only 2 who only ran with the 1s but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Moore is earning his spot and from all accounts should be WR2 to start the season for us. Cole could be ahead of crowder though

15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

just an excuse for fans to over-bloviate about anything remotely good and shamelessly make excuses or turn a blind eye to anything unsuccessful or bad

Noam and bicketybam like this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

BTW, i think this is a sane POV on Mims from Jets xfactor

[​IMG]
    NY Jets fans’ disappointment with Denzel Mims situation is warranted

New York Jets fans have the right to be disappointed in Denzel Mims for his current second or third-team standing in training camp.

By Vitor Paiva - On 08/04/2021, 11:23 AM
    [​IMG]
    Denzel Mims, NY Jets, Getty Images

Feeling disappointed with Denzel Mims is completely understandable
    First and foremost, this is not an attempt to label Denzel Mims a bust (as some have already done) so early in his career. Starting with that understanding is critical.

There are always many factors that determine a player’s early success. Some of these factors include situation, translatable talent, hard work, scheme fit, and, a little bit of luck.

Mims has talent. That is undeniable. He’s big, fast, possesses the ability to come down with 50-50 balls more often than not, and is also effective after the catch. Jets fans saw that last season in the rare opportunities Mims saw the ball come his way.

For a fanbase starving for a good, homegrown skill-position player, Mims’ rookie season was enough to create high sophomore-year expectations. By the end of last season, many Jets fans considered it a foregone conclusion that Mims would be a 2021 starter and one of the focal points of the new offense.

That hasn’t exactly happened—at least not yet.

Once 2021 came along, the Jets were aggressive to address the wide receiver position. Joe Douglas ultimately created a more competitive environment for the incumbents.

Keelan Cole and Corey Davis were signed in free agency. Elijah Moore was drafted in the second round. And Jamison Crowder came back after restructuring his contract and taking a pay cut.

Suddenly, Mims found himself thrust in a rabid starting wideout competition on the team that drafted him in the second round the year prior.

For fans, disappointment is fair considering the consensus expectation back in March had Mims starting in an offense that would feature him. Not watching the Baylor product roll with Zach Wilson in the bulk of the team drills stings a bit.

How to analyze the Denzel Mims situation
    The Mims situation calls for objective analysis. Emotions and likability must be taken out of the equation.

In the second week of training camp, it is tough to come up with a positive spin on the fact that the team’s 2020 second-round pick is still running with the second and third squads. It’s not what fans expected, it’s likely not what the coaches expected, and it’s definitely not what Mims himself expected.

Don’t ever forget that these players are real-life human beings, not machines. They are humans with real emotion. It’s difficult to believe Mims himself is satisfied with his current depth chart standing.

On the other side of the coin, it’s not like Mims has no options. Nobody’s forcing him into a backup role. Denzel simply must play better. He must show coaches that keeping him off the field is impossible.

[​IMG]

Perform in a way that makes removal impossible—similar to Elijah Moore
    It’s that simple. It’s also what Elijah Moore is currently doing.

And that’s the main point here: Mims has the ability to do the same thing Moore has done since day one.

He’s talented enough. Performing so well that coaches can’t keep a guy off the field should be the expectation for a former second-round pick that excited everyone when on the field in his rookie year.

Football is simple. Only 11 guys can play at once. Five of them are skill players, and usually, only three of them are wide receivers. Nothing ever comes easy in the National Football League—unless your name is Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes.

Mims’ situation isn’t insurmountable. Four no-doubt-about-it starters aren’t currently ahead of him. This is not the 2014 Denver Broncos.

New York signed Keelan Cole to a one-year deal, a veteran weapon expected to be the team’s fourth or fifth guy on the depth chart when brought on. Jamison Crowder’s role is in the slot, so he and Denzel aren’t really competing.

Moore is a rookie, but he’s currently doing what every fan expected Mims to do: give the Jets no choice but to keep him on the field.

Moving forward
    So, it’s OK if you, the hardened Jets fan, feel disappointment with Mims right now. It’s completely fine.

The expectations coming in were understandably high and the Baylor product isn’t living up to such loftiness. Disappointment, then, is only natural.

Mims’ disappointment must be legitimate—at least to some degree at this point. The coaches probably feel the same way.

[​IMG]

But it’s also not time to panic.

There are a lot of things that will happen between now and the start of the season. The Jets still have two joint practices, three preseason games, and many more reps ahead.

The best outcome from this whole affair is a hungrier, more determined Denzel Mims who’s ready to hit the field in a way that makes it impossible to remove him.

He’s talented enough to do it. But if he doesn’t, this current and understandable disappointing feeling New York Jets fans are feeling will only grow.

Want More NY Jets News & Jets X-Factor Content?
    Download the free Jet X Mobile App to get customizable notifications directly to your iOS (App Store) or Google/Android (Google Play) device.
    Add Jets X-Factor to your Google News feed to stay up to date with the New York Jets.
    Follow us on Twitter @jetsxfactor for all the latest New York Jets news, Facebook for even more, Instagram for some of the top NY Jets images, and YouTube for original Jets X-Factor videos.
    Join the official Discord community to connect with likeminded fans.

[​IMG]
    Vitor Paiva
    A former quarterback, Vitor Paiva wants to showcase a deep analysis of what's really happening on the field, showcasing what's really on the mind of a football player during a play, in his Sidearm Session. Email: vitorpaivagon@gmail.co

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I can't get that worked up over anything that happens in the first week of training camp.

Losmeister likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I just bought super bowl tickets

dmw, bicketybam and Noam like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

yeah Saleh stated the only ones who haven’t run with the 2’s and 3’s are Cole and Davis. But they are trying to spread the reps out between the players across both sides of the ball.

Noam likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

JD said that's type of players he wanted on the team, smart football players that are driven to get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.