The next great duo in the NFL!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 31, 2021.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

THE PICTURE TELLS THE STORY...NEED I SAY ANY MORE. GET READY TO SEE THIS OFTEN.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

So many new great duos to choose from:
    Wilson & Moore
    Becton & AVT
    Q & Lawson
    JD & Saleh
    Mosley & Davis
    Carter & a small hole

Brook!, barfolomew, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Great throw. I don't wanna be a super debbie downer and it's not Wilson's fault but in-game that's a sack if it's not practice.

The right side looked like swiss cheese on that play. Hopefully the big fellas can protect him.

#3 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  4. KingRoach

I’ve seen that comment on Twitter but I disagree.

Edge (assume Lawson) got the step on Moses but the RB throws in a shoulder and gives Zach the time to step up allowing him space.

Since Shannahan loves identical looks to have different outcomes, I’m guessing this could also be a run to the right. If Van Roten turns upfield instead of back to the QB, the RB has room to cut and run.

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah the idea behind the zone concept as it coincides with play action. It has to look the same so that's why Van Roten drives so wide.

There's a big element of slow down in practice when you get within sneezing distance of the quarterback. That remains at all level and you can see it in this video.

Good instincts to step up by Wilson but I think he probably gets rag dolled at full game speed on that play. It looks like someone gets their hands on him towards the end too.

6. KingRoach

Lol. I’ve played it in slow mo way more than I’d like to admit.

If I hadn’t seen our midget RB throw a block on my first replay, I’d agree it would be a sack as Lawson had Moses beat.

If I didn’t see that those 2 white jerseys between Wilson and the green jerseys on replays 4 & 5 I’d agree it was a sack.

Maybe in a real game, Lawson runs over the blocking RB but there were enough things going right to take that completion away, IMO.

Noam likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

OTOH, Zach moved where he needed to to get away from the pressure. In a real game maybe he moves somewhere else. I get your point, that the holes will be smaller and close quicker in a game, but still, he did what he needed to do on that play.

NCJetsfan, BudJet and KingRoach like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

I wasn't pointing that out as a slight on Wilson and I outlined that. He did make the right play given where the pressure came from.

He might make a different play, but I do hope he understands what do many others do not - you will not be able to escape pressure in this league like you did in college. This is not a direct comparison at all because they are not similar character people at all, but Johnny Manziel was a magician at escaping pressure in college and he had cinder blocks on his feet in the NFL. Not because of his own ability but how much faster the front sevens are.

My issue is actually more that the offensive line looked on that particular play much like he has the past three years where it's just an utter collapse.

#8 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Is it really possible to have great poise in the pocket during a non contact drill?

stinkyB likes this.
  10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It's early on and they're still learning the blocking schemes. Also, like Salah said, the defense is a little bit ahead at this point. If they look like that by the preseason that's one thing, but in the 4th day of training camp it's not as much of a worry.

BudJet likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

bahhahahah I'm glad I read to the end of your post...you saved the best for last!!! good one

KingRoach likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I thought the pass play took a while to 'develop' and could easily have been a sack in a real game. The ball was in the air for over 50 yards, and Moore was running from the hike to the catch (about 5 seconds).

This is why we probably won't see Zack airing it out too often his first year. Saleh will protect him. Saleh won't ask the oline to protect Zack for over 4 seconds so we can run a 50 yard deep route.

I don;t think there will be any 'designed' 50 yard plays in Zacks first season (outside of a hailmary), but I think Zack will pull off a few deep connections with his scrambling and off platform throws for 50 yards similar to this play. He makes it look so damn EZ!

NCJetsfan, LAJet and Noam like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fifty years of watching the Jets would have me looking for laundry on the turf behind the line of scrimmage before celebrating.

Noam likes this.
  14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree,
    It's called taking advantage of the situation. If a pitcher throws a bad pitch & you hit it out of the park, it still counts as a HOME RUN.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In a real game, Zach would complete the TD pass and then it would be called back for holding. That's how the Jets roll.

Jets81, Lon Chaney and Ralebird like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Certainly not if you look at it negatively, obviously every single person on here realises it is non-contact but 'most' people will look for positive signs rather than 'negative' ones, 97% of the site are desperate for him to look great asap, the other 3% would love a good old fashioned SOJ failure and not all of them are other team posters.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Nice t see the ROL in mid season form

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

An Offensive sighting, refreshing.

19. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

Non contact or contact, it doesn't change the fact that if during a real game Zach Wilson has the cannon of an arm to throw a 55-60 yard bomb (on a rope) to a streaking Elijah Moore wide open. I don't think because of "contact" he's all of a sudden going to forget how to throw a football the way he's always thrown a football.

Many NFL draft experts told me his arm is the strongest they've seen since Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen and that training camp throw with a flick of the wrist kind of proved them right. Because I don't remember ever witnessing an old Vinny or Chad/Mark/Geno/Petty/Hack/Fitz/Josh/Sam etc ever making that type of throw. Training Camp or not.

JohnnyJet1222 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Vinny can probably still make that throw.. dude had an absolute cannon and was a gym rat too.

Noam likes this.