Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this means anything, but Mimms was drafted for Sam Darnold and the Adam Gase offense (whatever that was), where Alijha Moore was drafted for Zack Wilson and Mike LaFleur's offense (again, whatever that is). It's almost like Mimms was drafted in a different era by a different GM....but I agree with NC....any offense should be able to use a tall, fast, good WR. I'm a little shocked Mimms is running with the 3's. Like just one year ago Mimms was going to be our savior. Now it's 'Mimms who?'

Noam likes this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am not surprised to hear he struggled in his first practice. Its probably to be expected and I do think he will get much better. The talent is there. But thankfully they were able to get Wilson signed quickly so he has all of training camp and the preseason to get ready for the regular season. He definitely has a lot of work to do.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

All reports out of camp are the complete opposite of what you are stating. Connor Hughes was saying that he is having massive problems in his route running, creating separation, and with his hands.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's having problems with his hands because he's pressing and he's having to think too much rather than just going out there and letting his talent take over. In addition, if he is struggling that much, then it's obvious that LaFleur didn't adjust the offense one bit to accomodate for Mims. Mims proved last season that he could get open against some of the top CBs in the NFL. If he's not getting open now it's because of the stupid new scheme.

5. Falco21

I understand there may be reasons for it, but the fact remains either way.

And Mims had a separation average of 1.23 yards last year which ranks him #93 in the league. Not a very good stat.

For reference, Crowder had a 1.65 yard separation average, ranking him #52. Hell, Braxton Berrios had a better separation than him at 1.55 ranked at #69

REVISion, Noam and FJF like this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I thought Mims was gonna be good. We'll see.

There were defo times last year where Sam held him back...

no wringing of hands here...

yet

7. Falco21

I agree, 100%.

I think he definitely deserves a chance with Wilson and I had high hopes for him as well.

Not a good start to this year but things just started, so we'll see.

Noam likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They brought in 3 new receivers this off-season that presumably offer exactly what they are looking for in the scheme.. I doubt they are going to tweak the playbook for one person. If he starts showing something, maybe they add some wrinkles to showcase mims but at this point it’s on mims to catch up with the program. It happens all the time during coaching changes. Collateral damage.

REVISion and Noam like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

As long as they work with him, develop him, tweak the system to better fit his talents, and find a good role for him, I'm fine, but at the moment, it doesn't look like that's what they're doing.

Noam likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I know it happens all the time, but that doesn't mean that it's a wise thing to do. Yes, Mims needs to work on his route running. If they refuse to tweak it for one person, then they're being rigid, not flexible and are wasting his talents. So if Zach needed some tweaking to fit his talents, they wouldn't do it because he's only one person?

While thankfully JD added a lot of offensive talent, the team still isn't so deep in talent that they can afford to waste a player of the level of Mims. Cole is 28 and only here on a 1-year deal. He may not be back next year. I like him a lot and was excited that they signed him, but it seems to me that deverloping Mims should be more important.

Noam likes this.
  11. Falco21

It can not always fall on the coaching staff at every turn. A players sometimes has to take fault for his own play.

Other receivers seem to be having great off-season's including Moore, Barrios, and Davis. Mims is struggling. I don't blame the coaching staff for that

12. FJF

They’re building a base and they’re going to tailor it to Wilson not mims. That doesn’t mean that mims is absolutely trash but to expect a new coach to just start fitting the o to a 2nd year wideout is just off base. Mims has 2 more years on scholarship, that he’s not getting reps with the 1s in a new scheme isn’t the end of his career. It’s actually probably better for him as he can train with no pressure and be brought along slowly while the qb grows into the system.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I still have high hopes for Mims, didn't he start his career with six consecutive games with over 40 yards/game when Flacco was playing. When Darnold came back, if I remember correctly, he basically didn't even watch Mims' way even if he was wide open.

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Didn't realise you knew him that well!

15. NCJetsfan

While I agree that the WR has equal responsibility, Mims is practically a rookie. You seem to be forgetting that he had no OTAs, mini-camp, an abbreviated TC, no preseason, and one of the worst CSs ever last season, and then a QB who couldn't see him.

I'm sure his confidence took a hit. That is magnified by his missing a week or two of OTAs this year with food poisoning. He's behind and playing catch up. He will be fine as long as he keeps working hard and the CS doesn't bury him out if impatience.

Losmeister likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Well played! LOL

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree. No one is worse than Manish. He's a Dolphins fan, but he has been surprisingly fair and unbiased so far and very professional. I thought he was wrong about Zach being bad today and told him so, but overall, I think he has been one of the best beatwriters we've had in the last 5-10 years.

azhar80 and cmcm750203 like this.
  18. FJF

Noam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.