Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Again i agree with your premise. JD is worried about dealing with the next agent and the next. Sure he can say "fuck you, that was a #2 overall QB" but if i am the agent I'm saying "fuck you for not valuing my client"

2. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Who else got no offset but Lawrence? I saw only Jags and Rams don't do it.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It likely hinged on two things. One what does Lance do and if so does Zach give in to sign right away.

Lance caved giving the Jets an argument. Zach did the right thing and signed.

But what the Jets did playing hardball was monumentally stupid. At best the offset saves them a million dollars in cap space 3 years from now. No reward here for playing hardball and pissing off your frsnchise QB.

If Zach becomes a good QB he will have a lot more leverage than he had today and he will be able to name his price. The Jets did not create any goodwill in this negotiation threatening his bonus pay,fighting in the dirt over pennies and making him the last pick in the entire draft to sign. Completely stupid. If he has a long memory he can make them pay a 100 times over for this petty exercise of power come the next contract negotiation.

There is a time to play hardball and a time to be nice and fair. One often wins future negotiations by giving a little extra today. The idea that you have to win every negotiation is short sighted and my biggest criticism of this regime. I learned this lesson professionaly over 30 years ago that to win long term one often has to be a little gracious. The time for playing hardball is when there is something at stake. This was a petty short sighted exercise of power by the Jets that gained them nothing.

#283 Noam, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

AKA the Greg McElroy / Bryce Petty argument. Even though we all knew they were.

"But he was the starting QB for the best college program in the country / a two time Heisman nominee, he must have something!"

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Your argument just makes what they did sound even stupider. There are two likely outcomes here. He sucks and we cut him. Like you said, that’s gonna save a few million max. Outcome 2 is he’s really good and he has to negotiate a new contract. He’s gonna remember this. Over a few million three years from now when nobody knows what the cap situation will look like. I guess there’s outcome 3 where he’s so-so and we keep him for another deal, but I think the first 2 are far likelier.

Noam likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Good analogy.

The thing is we have an entire offense to develop. If Zach goes down we cant rely on another Luke Falk to develop our offense. We need guys like Mims and Moore to get throws and show growth now - not starting next season. We need a vet backup who can at least game manage. Having one unknown backup is fine. Having all unknown QBs is a dumb move.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Making sure there is offset in the contract is more for future contracts, Q, Becton...etc. They don't want to set a precedent that they are willing to leave out offsets in the contracts. JD, Good job of standing your ground on this issue.

8. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

100% agree. I'm quite happy to have a developmental guy like Morgan around, but I completely agree with the need for a vet in the room who can help him and Wilson to get better, and take the reins when the inevitable injury or ugly blowout happens. I remain convinced that one of the many unnecessary blows we gave to Sam's development was letting McCown walk, and I was hopeful that Flacco could fill that gap. I'd really like to see Zach get a vet on the back end of his career who will do what McCown did - provide mentorship, guidance and a safety net, and push him to be better without creating an adversarial competition for the job.

The help that Zach will need from the #2 isn't how to throw a tighter spiral or to set his feet better, but the kind of advice that only someone who has been in his position can give. What's that particular DE's tell? Which of that team's linebackers is going to bite on your pump fake? How do you deal with getting booed by your own fans after you've turned the ball over three times in the first half and get your head back in it? I don't know who that guy is right now.

Brook!, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think a lot of folks here are missing the point. This is a STANDARD. We are now learning even Fields had some offset language. EVERYONE did on 30/32 teams, which have this as a standard practice. Lance had identical contract, which he promptly signed before training camp. You are making this into money argument, penny pinching, which it is not. Even when you mistakenly provided the article in contrary to your point, you didn't adjust the conclusion.

The point of this is not the money, as I said numerous times, but removing a large financial incentive to be forcing a release if things don't go well. If 30 of 32 teams are doing it, it is called a standard practice, not stupidity as you proclaimed. Zach's agent is the one who was a fool for making Zach miss valuable time over basic standard contract. The fact Zach was the last one to sign same standard contract everyone else signed, including Lance, who didn't miss a day is not JD's fault, but 100% that of Zach's agent. And no, him signing what 30 other players signed after missing 2 days of practice will not impact negotiations 5 years from now.

10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

End the thread this is the only correct opinion

KY Jets Fan, Noam and FJF like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well as the saying goes"better to be Offset than Upset"

Congrats to the Jets our GM and to ZW a very wealthy young man;)

KY Jets Fan, Noam and cval like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Time to get to work. lets go

KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

But that takes the pure fun out of a good ______ SUCKS! chant..... :(

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

scanned through the comments on this and MAN are we overthinking this.

move on.

its time for football.

15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

JD fire!!!

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's all incredibly stupid to me. The kid is dumb rich, regardless, stop being petty. The Jets eventually found a compromise, pay the kid his money In a timely manner like other top rookies get their money. It was ultimately just dumb.

The Jets shouldn't break structure with the way the have set their precedence for contracts, that would've been foolish. They are the employer at the end of the day, the leverage automatically should go to the employer In those terms. Compromise and fairness is key too.

So... At the end of the day. Both parties were being ignorant.

Hopefully this doesn't set things back at all. Time to move on.

FJF, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

every first round pick gets a guaranteed 4 year contract, with a team 5th year option. The last part is why you will often see teams trade into the end of the first round for a qb, to get that extra year at a controlled ( to an extent) cost.

FJF likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why is he posting shit like this?

edit: obviously it won’t work but his Instagram story is details about his contract and tweets basically bashing the Jets for not negotiating until last week

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now Cimini can start counting his TC interceptions.

regan62072 and FJF like this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'll cancel the Gofundme for Zach Wilson Offsets.