Make or Break for these guys

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Jul 20, 2021.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Why do yoh think so? I don't if he's got the talent to start.

2. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Herdon has been disappointing AF after his rookie year. I hope he can return to form this year.

papapump, NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Chuma would be a good fit int his offense. Long and rangy could be good for the zone blocking. Decks stacked against him now and I wouldn’t bet on him making the roster but I wouldn’t say never yet.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold my breath on Edoga. Even if he does, I don't think he makes the team simply because we now have a lot of talent, and numbers are going to be tight at every position group. Becton, AVT, McGovern, Moses and Fant are locks. One of Van Roten and Lewis will make the team, maybe both. Feeney will make the team because of the guaranteed money. That's 7 or 8. Clark is likely to make the team. McDermott can play OT or OG. Edoga is strictly an OT. McDermott is also better imo. That gives him the edge over Edoga. If Murray is better at C than Feeney, Murray may even make the team in case McGovern gets injured. I just don't see any way that Edoga is going to be a Jet going forward unless he has worked his ass off during the offseason and is a totally different player and blows everyone away in TC, or they keep him on the PS.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I agree that he would be a good fit if he could block worth a darn, but he can't imo. The Jets may keep him on the PS, but I don't see how they can keep enough OL for him to make the roster. Becton, AVT, McGovern, Moses, Fant and Feeney are locks. That's 6. They may only keep 9 OL. Clark has a good chance to make the team becaue of his versatility. One or both of Van Roten and Lewis will make the team. That's 8 or 9 already. If Murray is a lot better at C than Feeney, they may keep Murray on the roster. McDermott can play OG as well as OT, and imo is better than Edoga. I can't see their keeping 11 or 12 OL. What are your thoughts on how many OL they will keep and who will make the team?

barfolomew likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think they 9. Supposedly, there some extra roster flexibility this year so maybe 10. I think edoga”s best chance is to beat out McDermott, which wouldn’t be a huge upset. On the right side edoga has put down some good reps. On the left side he was awful and as a fit for Gase he wasn’t good either.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this

Noam and patleahy like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

would be nice if he did turn it around. then we wouldn't need a future RT and he could be resigned cheap. we could let moses walk and release fant and be pretty set on the o-line minus RG for quite a few years. I wouldn't bank on it though.

9. NCJetsfan

How could we let both Moses and Fant go? We'd have an average (at best) RT and zero depth.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Umm... Do we have a kicker yet??? Asking for a fan...

11. GasedAndConfused

moses is on a 1 year deal. a good chance we don't resign him. Fant could be released if we find a replacement (in this case edoga proving to be a better option) then for depth we also have a ton of draft picks we could draft some depth. Fant cost too much to be a back-up long term. We could also make a run at moses next year to a multiyear deal then release fant and keep edoga cheap as a back-up. JD has done a good job giving us flexibility

12. NCJetsfan

I disagree. We may not re-sign Moses, but if he plays as well as he has, imo it would be smart to re-sign him. I could see releasing Fant if we keep Moses. I think it would be foolish to go with both. IMO unless Edoga has had a TOTAL transformation to the point where he looks nothing like he has previously, and has developed a burning desire to be the best he can be, there's no way I want him even as a backup, and wouldn't even waste 2 seconds thinking about him as a starter. You don't want to go with a rookie either unless you're drafting him early in the 1st round, and imo that's too high to draft a RT. Fant may be overpaid, but we have the cap space, and if he works out well as our swing OT and sometimes TE, imo he's worth it. If JD wants to draft an OT to groom as the future RT, fine. Moses could still be the starting RT for one more year or they could let him walk and return Fant to the starting job. There's no way on earth I'd go with Edoga and a rookie and let both Moses and Fant go. IMO that would be asking for trouble, if not disaster.

13. GasedAndConfused

I agree with you. If moses keeps playing as well as he is, we can resign him and drop fant. Fant makes too much to be a back-up and has an out for 2022. We still need a decent depth guy though which would be a mid round pick or bringing back edoga cheap. We have a lot of flexiblity with picks and cap. JD has done really well building this team so far. If the offense starts playing well we can invest high picks in defense next year

14. NCJetsfan

As things presently stand, I don't want Edoga back at any price, even if he pays the team to play for it and has a negative cap charge.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Austin has shown flashes of talent, but has more than a whiff of Kyle Wilson about him IMO. There's an arrogance about him that he hasn't yet justified, and he's also got a tendency to give up stupid penalties. I think it's a maturity problem with him rather than an ability problem, which is hopefully something that Ulbrich can fix.

Edoga I've seen enough of. His absolute ceiling is as a swing tackle, but I think that he's dropping down the depth chart and has a reasonable chance of not getting out of camp. Also, people who have their own name tattooed on themselves deserve nothing good to happen to them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

that's just a ridiculous take. he's proven to be a solid back-up who can play either tackle position. if he's getting paid back-up money no reason not to keep him around cheap. Who cares if he didn't pan out as a starter. Stop letting emotions make you say dumb stuff

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. If you think Edoga is solid, then you don't know what you're watching. He sucks.

18. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

YeBoah has a real chance to take out Herdon his blocking isn't the best but he was a top level receiving threat in college guy in the long term over course of the season could overtake Herdon as TE and become a primary target for Wilson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Bless is making this team

PJ4Ever likes this.
  20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

We better hope not! AVT has his name tattooed on his forearms