Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan, york61 and abyzmul like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Amazing how in a weeks time this has gone from the most exciting Jets off season in recent memory to gloom and doom. We are all traumatized by our Jets past we have Jets PTSD. Each new blow reminds us of all the old blows and makes it feel out of proportion bad.

That being said if the Jets come to their senses and sign Wilson today this will all be quickly forgotten and maybe we will regain our earlier optimism. But, man this waiting really sucks.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson would find a way screw anything up. The guy is a natural born loser. I used to be pissed at Belichick for bouncing, but now I dont blame him. He didn't want to deal with crap like this

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Belichick is a pretty smart man. Often times in life the best decisions we make are the ones we turn down. Belichick is proof of this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Agree, he reminds me of Dolan. The jets are just penny pinchers; for the most part they never retain their talent e.g Maye. I just hope they put this shit to bed and sign him before he misses much time in camp.

6. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

You hit the worst part of this right in the bullseye. For two decades it was "do what the pats do" now we do soemthing they would be praised for doing and we are a clown show that sho0uld hand the player what he wants.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because they've drafted almost nobody worth retaining.

FJF and K'OB like this.
  8. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I agree with this sentiment but what happens with free agents? How about the #6 pick and a true shut down corner? Agents will always try to push the line and Joe is looking at the future. I don't blame either side, Joe can't set a precedent and Zack's agent wants the very best for his client. only thing that truly pisses me off is Zack being in Cali. he should be in New Jersey where he cna be on the field in an hour once he signs.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I can understand having off sets in a contract where a top player is being paid $15 million a year. Needing to only pay a portion of that amount while the new team picks up the balance is a big deal. But, for a rookie contract for your franchise quarterback to quibble over a couple of million is just idiotic.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll simply have to agree to disagree. He didn't hire Gase, and was hired after the draft so he isn't responsible for the team's record Gase's first year. The second year he was beginning the tear down. If the Johnsons have any intelligence whatsoever, they will understand that with what little talent the Jets had on their roster it was going to take 3-4 years to build a winner. Across the NFL Saleh was seen as the best HC candidate. JD got him here. JD has added a ton of talent. JD isn't going anywhere regardless of how Zach does.

FJF and K'OB like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

unfortunately, this is the truth of the matter.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets are losing the PR battle on this. The view of the Jets is that they don't retain what little viable talent there is on the roster because of money. What good does letting your stars walk because you don't want to overspend? Sometimes everyone does exactly that to retain talent. Hard to foster a culture of winning without loyalty being part of the equation too. Pay the kid already. They'll make the money back in swag sales and attendance. Cmon JD. Pay up. Same for Maye. The jets are becoming a one contract and done franchise. Not good...

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, that isn't a good look either tbh.

NCJetsfan, FJF and Jets_Grinch like this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Is there any update at all?

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

At this point, I'm pissed at both sides.

Jets need to stop with the signing bonus garbage. Give him his money, just like you did for Sam.

Wilson needs to understand that offset language is standard for 95% of NFL rookie contracts. 100% if you don't play for the Jags or Rams.

Both sides need to suck it up and understand that getting Zach to TC should be the most important thing right now.

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Birdseye view... this isn't an issue unless he misses significant time from camp. The money isn't that big a deal for either side. If Wilson caves the other owners will use this in the future so they'll thank the Jets. If the Jets cave its a big nothing, business as usual... The only real issue is how much camp time will he miss. The other QB's on the roster are underwhelming at best so they can't let this linger, have a private meeting and get it sorted.

cval likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe the fans can promise to start a gofundme to pay Wilson if the unlikely "offset" scenario occurs. I mean, we can't let the guy starve. Amirite?

FJF likes this.
  18. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

My only hope is that the signing bonus deferral is just a load of crap and something the Jets can "cave" on and in return Wilson signs with the standard offsets. My wish is that they just get it done.

NCJetsfan, KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I brought this same thing up earlier in this thread. I think Lance accepting his offset language gives the Jets more of a leg to stand on.

Hopefully today they go back to Zach's agent and say, "Ok, see Lance accepted the offsets. We'll give Zach his full signing bonus this year if Zach accepts the offsets we've put in".

I'm not in panic mode because missing his first 2 practices isn't going to destroy his career but it certainly isn't helping him at all.

20. NYsportsfan1962

Should be a nice cheery crowd on hand for Saturday's practice if Wilson is not signed yet. Wonder if Woody and JD will be on the field to hear all the joy!

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.