Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

JD is NOT going to be on the street if Wilson busts. That's ridiculous imo. He has made too many other excellent moves and has added too much talent to this team and brought respect to the Jets. Wilson's not gonna fail, but even if he does, JD will get the opportunity to draft another. Book on it.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

If this is really about the payment dates on the bonus then that’s fucked up by the Jets….pay the fucking bonus and let’s go.

and I don’t really get haggling over offset language…if the guy sucks that bad that you’re cutting him after a couple of years then you have bigger problems

this is just more of the same old Jets financial bullshit….and it’s a bad look for a team trying to change its culture.

we never pay our own guys…for all the lip service to draft and develop, we just don’t do it…mostly because we’ve drafted so shit poor that we really have had very few guys worth signing to large second contracts, but too often on the few guys we draft we’ll, we still find an excuse to not pay them.

Maye is just the latest example…no way I believe that there’s not a two or three year deal worth making with him. Adams is another one, but the return of two first round picks made it the right move. We can go back and find a few more…yes all before JDs time but the fact is that this team hasn’t treated it’s players in the best way…we had the same bullshit trying to sign Darnold.

so yeah, Zach will get done I’m sure, but this is an issue we don’t need…ESPECIALLY now with new coaches, new schemes, and a rookie QB that we NEED to hit the ground running because, you know, there is no other legit QB on the roster. So I don’t get the stalemate.

firstly, if it’s about the bonus timing, then fuck you Jets that’s wrong, whether it’s Woody or JD or the janitor.
    Secondly, if it’s about the offset, then again I would say get the fuck over it…you drafted him, you like him, let’s get the deal done

I’m sorry but the optics here are not in the Jets favor…it just stinks of same old same old way of doing things that have gotten us 10 years of no playoffs

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sorry I know it’s a pet peeve but Knapp was not the QB coach lol

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Negotiations with Revis were always going to be painful. His uncle was a former NFL player and a firebrand on the topic of how players were routinely shafted by the NFL contract process.

5. Br4d

It's not going to be different.

The next incarnation will be different if the Johnsons hire a heavy hitter with experience to run the team for them and then sit back and let him do that.

What the Jets need is a President who is firmly grounded in successful professional football. A Mark Murphy caliber hire.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It absolutely is Wilson. He calls the shots, the agent works for him. Period.

But if the Jets are really looking to be the only team to push bonus money to next year when the rest pay it in the first month, why should Wilson be the guinea pig?

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I agree, if I'm Wilson why would I want to push my guaranteed bonus money a year down the line? I'd want that money now so that I can get it working for me!

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think in principle, offsets are a fair idea. But it's most likely quibbling over small amounts of money that will hopefully never even become a reality, and if he bombs to the extent the Jets cut him, then there will be bigger things to worry about - like the franchise starting from square one all over again.

This is something to be hammered out in collective bargaining, to set up a standard contract so there is just nothing to argue over. It is not something for individual teams to draw a line in the sand over.

So just sign Wilson and get on with actually coaching him up to be our franchise quarterback.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but I read somewhere that there are 20 days of training camp. After Wilson misses today, that will be 10% of TC he missed.

I hate the Jets.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

If Wilson busts bad enough to be cut the Jets will almost certainly have another three 5-12, 6-11 type years. If that’s the case Douglas is absolutely out. No GM’s getting more than five years of constant losing in NY showing zero progress.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Brook I am expecting you to lead a chorus of boos all day Saturday if Wilson has not been signed. The FO needs to know the fanbase will not put up with the team sabotaging itself. Let them know how we feel Brook!!!

12. Br4d

If Wilson busts bad enough to get cut in the first 3 seasons the Jets will be lucky to get to 5 or 6 wins a season.

I'd expect maybe 3 wins a season, maybe 10 total over the 3 seasons if that happened.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Offset language shouldn't exist on first round picks. If Zach is released to go elsewhere, the entire scouting department should be cut to make up the difference.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets can really suck the hope out of a moment.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its what they do best...

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Anyone know why an offset has to be all or none? Seems like a solution would be to settle on a 50% offset.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You know we live in a backwards world when Deshaun Watson and Aaron Rodgers report to training camp before Zach Wilson.

18. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

My theory on why Jets want offsets in his contract think Wilson is get a year audition if he doesn't show something could see the Jets trading for a QB like Watson when the smoke clears on his legal troubles. The Jets roster will be fully built up by next season and Rady to contend think if Wilson pulls a Darnold you might see a shocker next off-season and Jets trade for a proven QB think to much is on the line for the JD to wait and hope his young QB develops we are in different NFL no longer teams wait 5 years on a QB to develop its usually 1 to 2 years and your gone.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

All that so they can save a few bucks if they have to cut him in 3 years

ColoradoContrails and Lon Chaney like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

there’s a term we use in my office to describe the Jets… “Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory“. No matter how good things are, the Jets find a way to make it bad.