Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

All that is prebaked into the contracts as standard character clause stuff. The hold up is the offset and bonus payout timing. That’s it

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It show the opposite of your claim: "Lance does have offsets in his deal." Doesn't mean it is the wrong link, it does have the fact we are looking for. It's the conclusion that needs to altered based on these facts.

And mine would that bonus should be paid upfront and offsets included, just like Lance. As you said, the market has been set. These are 2nd/3d picks, there should not be too much difference.

#162 Borat, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So far it’s 2 with out and we don’t know what the 3rd got yet. If he got no offset jd almost has to give. If they have offsets it’s still game on and jd can point to 29 teams using the language. Honestly what needs to happen is his agent needs to breakout a calculator and figure out if it’s better to stand firm on the payout schedule or the offset and cave on the one that pays Wilson the most.
    My guess is there will be offset language and he will get the bulk of his money this year.

#163 FJF, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I misread it or they autocorrected it. But yes lance has offsets. Which is the worst scenario as now it is less clear and the Jets have a basis to make an argument. The 1 pick has no offset the 3 pick does and Fields does not. So yes the market still favors no offsets but now we could see this drag on for awhile.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If he earns 10 percent on the 17 million they want to defer that is a lot more than the million he would get 3 years later in an offset. But the important point about the bonus is everyone gets their bonus paid within 20 days. That is a lot bigger deal than the offset as the interest on that money will compound quite fast.

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The Jets have the basis to make an argument because 30/32 teams are doing it. Lawrence happened to get onto one of the 2/32 teams, who don't include the offsets, and not exactly considered very successful btw. Jones and more importantly Lance got offsets.

Fields is the only one who didn't get it, who normally would, and we don't know other details of contract, where he conceded. However, his deal is only 19 mil over 4 years, he was widely considered top 5 talent (30+ mil contract) who slid. Zach has 35 mil contract to Fields 19. I think to be very fair, his situation is more comparable to that of Lance (34 mil contract), who got the signing bonus and included offsets. Signing of Lance is literally THE market, it's the same exact situation with nearly identical contract for 2nd and 3d pick with same position.

FJF likes this.
  7. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

JD is not a lawyer. He’s may be involved with the broad strokes, but this isn’t his call. Think about it like purchasing a home. There is the real estate agent and some folks hire an attorney to review the contract. Right now JD is the real estate agent and Zach Wilson is the buyer. They are both sitting back and letting the lawyers do their jobs.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

QBs are their own market. There are 3 QBs 2 without offsets 1 with. That is the market. As you can see the Bears changed their stance on offsets because it is a QB. End of story.

But certainly now that Lance caved the Jets have an argument on the offset. A lot more reasonable argument than deferring the bonus.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly the Jets have been playing this dick around game with the signing bonuses back through Maccagnan. That tells me the financial team or legal team remains the same.

It's one thing to do this to the linebacker you drafted 28th overall. It's another to fuck with the guy you've anointed as the face of the franchise.

Jets81, Leicester Jet, Jets79 and 6 others like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

First of all, it's 2 and 2. There is no way in hell Patriots would give Jones no offset language.

And Lance is the closest comparison, being drafted 2nd/3d (after generational #1) with near identical guaranteed amounts. The precedent has been set, there is literally the same exact case where Lance got the bonus and offset language and near identical salary. I hope Wilson's agent is smart enough to understand it and we will see Zach follow the market just set by Lance.

Thanks for providing the correct link for identical comparison.

FJF likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You're right--I just think if you're trying to turn the big Jet shitshow reputation into a more positive experience, which is really hard to do, you have to make sacrifices in some areas so the new message is consistent.

Maybe after your rep is good then play hardball more. I don't think its a good strategic move to play hardball with Zach at this point in time. As others have said, its penny-wise and pound foolish.

12. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

Unfortunately, Zach’s agent probably understands there is no Jimmy G on the Jet’s roster. They have leverage.
    This is Joey Bosa’s agent. He held out his rookie year till late August and didn’t cave.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Especially when in your infinite wisdom, you let your veteran backup walk and didn't replace him just so Wilson could get all the snaps.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bosa is a pass rusher, you can plug and play him. If the Jets let their rookie quarterback miss training camp and the preseason because of offset language, I'll be turning in my fan card because a regime that stupid has no chance of succeeding enough to make me regret it.

NCJetsfan, AJW and Noam like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, and Zach has a lot of savvy, experienced people in his life. I'm sure Steve Young has weighed in, as well as others who have played pro football, and that's on top of his parents - especially mom who we've seen isn't bashful about demanding what she feels is her right. The Jets aren't dealing with some starry-eyed rube here.

16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Agents also help secure off the field deals, endorsements. Get some of that Nike money, bro!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

JD is in charge of all of it. Sign the guy already. Plus how can u not have a vet qb in camp already? Especially considering who Wilsons agent is. JD has blown this situation No back up plan at qb?

18. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

JD is not in charge of this. It is the lawyers who are assigned to negotiate contracts with other lawyers. These are people the Johnsons hired to protect their interests.

None of us have negotiated an NFL contract before. I’d imagine precedent is very important in this world.

regan62072 likes this.
  19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Can someone gently remind Joe that if he has to worry about fucking offset language in Zach Wilson's contract that it's not gonna be his issue anyway? If Wilson gets cut, Douglas's ass will be on the street too.

I don't know if this is a Woody issue or a Joe issue entirely but this makes no fucking sense, just get this shit done. There's no reason Wilson should be the only holdout left.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought GMs normally handled the negotiations for teams. Is that not correct? It would make no sense to me for the GM to draft a player or sign a player in FA and not be involved in the negotiations, but sat back and let someone else do it.