Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have been thinking the same thing all day. First Gregg Knapp and now this. It is hard to find any enthusiasm.

When does the Knicks season start. Oh wait they are the Knicks and likely will go back to playing like Knicks.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Contract negotiation really sucks, but Zach will sign eventually. Sam did after some time, and others did as well. It sucks, but it WILL happen.

It's just not comparable to what happened to coach Knapp. That one really stings. Losing a great man like this is irreplaceable. And for the Jets - they simply can't find a coach of this caliber at this stage of the season. We have 3 youngsters to mentor, including aforementioned Zach, and arguably need QB coach more than any other team. Maybe there will be a miracle and Saleh can pry someone who is somewhat close to being as competent, but it will be tough. All top candidates already signed and committed to other teams. From having one of the top QB coaches in NFL we are now looking at the bottom.

#142 Borat, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Leicester Jet, REVISion and FJF like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People might forget but we had Johnson in camp in 2015 and cut him before the season started. Manon is also a silly option. Why isn't Bortles being brought in? He'd be cheap and is light years better than these two.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't really need an agent until ur 2nd contract. Why pay someone 5% of your earnings just to sign the same piece of paper all players are signing!

ukjetsfan likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think so too. It's just a way for the agent to potentially circumvent the CBA, which calls for 35 mil dollar 4 year guaranteed compensation for Zach (I said 39 mil as an example before, but looks like the actual number is 35). It's like a loophole that's there, which the agent is trying to exploit, but comes at the expense of the team, since it actually financially motivates a player to force early release if things are not as they expected. I can see why JD doesn't want to do it.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, this is simply an extension of the mentality that says "QB is a football position, just like any other. If we don't get our FQB this draft we can always get him next year or the year after", yadayadayada...

A FQB - which the Jets obviously believe Wilson can be - is THE MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER ON THE TEAM! Why not treat him differently? Why not even "spoil" him? This is Neanderthal football thinking. If the "spoiling" goes to his head then he was never going to become the FQB you hoped. In Zach's case, the kid is a football junkie and film room rat, always looking for ways to be better, to be the best. Is that because he wants to be paid the most? No! It's because he wants to win and be the best!

Drop this stupid dick measuring contest.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot more than just offset language, although that's a big one.

What happens if Zack gets suspended for weed? Or a DWI? Or suspended a year for performance enhancing drugs?

What happens if Zack goes to jail for shooting himself in the leg at a night club? Or dog fighting?

What happens if Zack holds out after yr 3?

What happens if Zack gets a non-football injury and misses a year (or more)?

What happens if after one year, Zack decides footballs not really for him. Does he have to pay back the $22M bonus?

Contracts handle a lot of 'what ifs'. Zack wants to get paid no matter what. JD is like "hold on there....".

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's exactly like what someone would say against prenup. I am the most important person, we are together for life! What prenup? But what if things change a few years from now?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I just read an interesting take about why Zach doesn't want to defer half of his signing bonus until next season. Wilson is a Resident of Utah where the State Tax rate is 4.95%. For 2022, he will be considered a resident of New Jersey in it's highest tax bracket, 10.75%. That is a HUGE difference. So he wants all the signing bonus this year.

Leicester Jet, dmw, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

AND also get offsets? JD better get his dick out. We will need a long ruler.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its unclear why we are wanting him to defer part of his signing bonus anyhow? If this is actually happening its something new. We gave Darnold his whole signing bonus before the season started.

12. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

This is the most logical reason.

ouchy likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think Joe D is forcing Zach's hand to accept the offset language and using this as leverage.

ouchy likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you demand a prenup, you're going into it with the wrong attitude.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It has been confirmed that are no offsets in Lances contract. None in Lawrence or Fields contracts and top picks always get their bonus within 20 days. There is nothing to fight about here. The standards are already set. The Jets are trying to force ZW to take a below market deal for no reason. So stupid. Offer him what everyone else is getting and move on.

Edit: Either I misread or the NY post corrected their article on Lance. Lance's contract does contain offsets. I suspect the first as I thought it was in the first pp but realize most mistakes are user error which likely means I misread.

#155 Noam, Jul 28, 2021
  16. Shea Jet

Shea Jet Member

This ^^^

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Johnsons

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Link?

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

#158 Noam, Jul 28, 2021
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would agree - signing bonus logically by definition is given at signing. Ultimately Sam ended up with signing bonus upfront and with offset language. I would assume JD is negotiating to have Zach do the same.

ouchy likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Give it to him or pay the tax delta. I would ask the same.