Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The James Morgan era begins.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To which I'd add, or if all the other teams do away with the offset language for DTs, Ss, RBs, etc., then the Jets will. QB is a horse of a different color, especially when he is a top 5 draft pick and will be starting immediately. He needs to be in camp day one.

3. NCJetsfan

I imagine that Zach is just doing what the agent (and perhaps others) is advising him to do.

Borat likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hah... no thanks. Last time I went to a practice with our rookie QB unsigned I had to watch Josh McCown throw to Jermaine Kearse.

Noam and Brook! like this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You can only give the ticket back if you had the right offset clause in the contract!

Noam, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Say we cut Zach after year 3 of his 4 year guarnateed 39 mil deal, and he signs with someone for 2 mil. What that means is that he will get paid 2 mil by the new team, and the Jets will not have to pay him 2 mil, and get 2M CAP relief. So, Zach, still ends up with 39 mil.

I believe the whole thing is done in order not to give a player financial incentive to want to leave the team. Say Zach is benched in that same year 3 a la Rosen. If there no offset, for year 4 he has extra financial motivation to try to force a release, since all the money new team will pay him that 4th year will be ON TOP of the 4th year Jets guaranteed him. Hence if he scores 2 mil deal to be a sub somewhere else, he ends up with 41 mil.

That's why 30 of 32 teams put the clause in, so that you still get all guaranteed money, but there is no financial motivation to get released early.

#126 Borat, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    dmw, BleedJetsGreen1981 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

So by the weekend do we worry?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets are bringing in Josh Johnson and Sean Mannion for try outs, I'm already worried.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Who?

I REALLY hope this is a negotiating ploy.

10. NCJetsfan

I'm sure it's not. It would be a ridiculously lame one if it is, because both are fringe NFL talents. If Saleh and JD are that lame, we're in trouble. Johnson has the most experience of the two, but he's already like 50 years old (35 really). If they're seriously considering signing one of those guys, then either they're expecting a prolonged holdout, or one or both of Morgan and White suck, and Saleh and JD totally mishandled the QB situation.

11. BleedJetsGreen1981

Johnson has played for practically every team in the NFL and apparently can throw a tight spiral. Mannion I'm not sure about. I sure hope it's a ploy to motivate Wilson to sign on the dotted line.

It's never easy being a Jets fan even when things are looking up it's nerve wracking.

12. BleedJetsGreen1981

I'm sure the real reason the Jets are working out Johnson and Mannion is because they at least have NFL experience and can helm the team while they get up to speed on the new offense. They can't possibly throw Morgan out there he's had the same amount of time in NFL as I have.

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem fair to the team.

Borat likes this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He’s also had the same time in the NFL as their current starter

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Will that help?

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think a reasonable compromise is to waive the offset only if the trade is forced by the QB, not the team. That takes care of that. If we trade him, we suck it up, if he forces the trade, he sucks it up. End of story.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dear God

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It won't but media or the Jets aren't giving me any confidence in timing of resolving this.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What Zach (or more likely his agent) is trying to do is basically bypass the spirit of rookie scale of CBA. The whole point of the scale was to ensure a player drafted in the spot Zach is drafted is making a set guaranteed salary. The idea was to avoid rookie holdouts. What the agent is trying to do now is create a scenario to tiptoe around CBA where his client can make MORE than that rookie scale if he forces the team to release him and tags on elsewhere.

Granted it is a rare scenario, but not unheard of. It's like a prenup almost, where if everything works as intended it never comes into play. But both parties are thinking what if it is not all great, then what? And the agent now is trying to bypass the spirit of CBA - to give financial incentive to leave sooner in a scenario where Zach does not succeed and becomes a sub. That's my thinking about it.

Of course he understands that fans like us would not be thinking about the "divorce" now and want to see Zach ASAP, so that gives them the power to squeeze in negotiation. JD could have countered that by saying we get a couple of scrubs for training camp and you can sit it out. Zach I am sure also wants to get on the fields ASAP. Let's see what happens. I do hope it will not come down to signing these pathetic scrubs, but you never know.

20. BleedJetsGreen1981

True but, Morgan does not have the same franchise savior pedigree that Wilson has.