Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We can’t fine him. He is not under contract

Noam likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

everyone is signed except Zach Wilson.

it's a "jets thing"

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When every Jets rookie is the #2 pick and a potential franchise QB, then they can expect similar treatment.

ouchy, HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You realize I was responding to a post specifically about the use of offset language, right?

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sigh...this is so dumb and so typical Jets.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it BUT….I believe JD needs to rethink this and let it go. Save face and come up with a better compromise. The risk is too low to argue and keep Zach out of camp.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There were precedents before as well, like Sam, who also missed part of training camp and ended up with offset language. To me just logically - you are guaranteed say 39 mil over next 4 years. FULLY guaranteed. No matter what happens.

Now you are trying to potentially get MORE than fully guaranteed deal that if you are cut. This is counterintuitive logically, and I am not surprised 30/32 teams are not doing it. So, if this is the only reason why Zach is sitting out of critical practice sessions, to be frank I am disappointed. I assume he is working out with Beck, but still really want to see him with the team ASAP.

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

what worries me is what is it going to be like to resign him in 4-5 years. If they can't find common ground with the rookie contract, they'll have a hell of a time hammering out a new contract in 4-5 years.

Noam likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not following the math here. Say there is 10% chance he gets cut. Yes, most likely it will not happen, but if it does happen and he signs for 2M, the offset will be 2 mil, not 200K. Multiplying the likelihood of getting cut with the offset # is not really yielding in anything mathematically. Also, the whole point I think is that this removes financial incentive from wanting to leave the team. So that it will take Bell like situation for you to ask the release and not merely being benched, where you now have financial incentive to act like a dick.

KY Jets Fan, Ralebird and cmcm750203 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JD doesn't do new contracts. At least so far.

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is a problem. They might piss him off and make him little more stubborn when it is time for a second contract. A FQB can get whatever he wants but will often do the team a favor and take less than market value. Now is the time to earn good will and not poison the well. I was taught that you pick and choose your battles. When to fight when to play hardball and when to play nice. You don't have to win every negotiation sometimes you gjve a little to get more later.

Leicester Jet, ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I was so dangerously enthusiastic about this year. Counted down the days til camp. Now I just want football to go away again. Why can we never just be normal? Do we ALWAYS have to embarrass ourselves?

ColoradoContrails, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I mean I kinda get what he’s trying to say, but it’s $2 million, not 200,000. I think he’s trying to apply a game theory concept here but it doesn’t really work. If they cut him, and he signs for $2 million then they could’ve recouped $2 million. It’s still dumb.

KY Jets Fan, Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am pretty upset about this too, but if you think what is happening now has ANY insight to what might happen in 5 years, I think you are greatly mistaken.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Just compromise already and start playing football.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

What are offsets? How do they work?

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Look at what happened with Revis when the Jets tried to force a non standard rookie deal for his slot attempting to remake the market. It poisoned the negotiations forever. People have long memories and when they feel they are being taken advantage of they might try to repay that one day if they have the leverage to do so.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I think he’s trying to apply the idea of a probability distribution, but not well.
    For example, if you play a game and you have a 90% chance of winning $1 and 10% chance of losing your expected earnings over time is 0.8. In this instance he’s just using that 10%.

Logically there’s only 2 ways this can go (either he’s cut and we would get $2 mil back with the offset or he plays and he gets paid the $2 mil by us). Also, it’s not like you’re running multiple “trials” of this, plus he just made up the percentages, so it doesn’t really
    make much mathematical sense to me.

REVISion likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I understand the rationale in terms of the cap, and with doing it with other players, but when the other QBs are not signing them this year, we're starting a new regime and they need all the practice time together they can get, especially with Knapp's passing, I think it's a mistake for the Jets to dig their heels in on this with Wilson.

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

If Zach isn't there, do you want your camp ticket back? Lol