Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Typical Jets, worried about pennies and missing the TREX in the room. If Wilson gets cut within three years those pennies would be the least of their problems.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

3. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Any idea where Zack is right now? Is he still in Cali? has he atleast flown to New York and is workign out and waiting in a hotel? how quickly can he be on the field once signed?

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This. At what point is this worth the story it's become?

Inigo Montoya and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. swissjet

swissjet Member

For me as an Jets Fan from Switzerland since 1997 ...
    these contract situation are hard to understand
    I mean the Jets are the laughingstock in every movie I see ...
    and with every new management i hear ... new culture, better reputation and and and
    guess ... to which team belongs the only not signed drafted player ??
    and not just any player ... the one who should carry the franchise for the next years ...
    same with Marcus Maye ....
    for me very frustrating and unintelligible

but still looking forward to see the jets in London :)

Leicester Jet, ouchy and Brook! like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm sure this will get resolved and Zach will soon be in camp, but why does this have to be an issue? I've said long ago, and still hold that opinion, that the Jets are "penny-wise and pound-foolish", and pinch pennies while reaping millions. I've been challenged for that opinion with "proof" of all the big money they've spent, but it doesn't change the underlying philosophy: "penny-wise; pound-foolish".

"Setting a precedent" is an empty reason. The Johnsons aren't bound to do anything other than what they want to do, precedent or not. And making an exception for the #2 overall pick, and highest QB they've ever drafted since Namath, would seem to be a reasonable exception, and one which they are not bound to repeat if they don't want to.

This is just SOJ mentality, and the reason that they've failed to get back to a SB for over 50 years. I know this sounds like an over reaction, but when you've watched this team shoot itself in the foot for as long as I have, you can easily see the warning signs.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Looks like Zach Wilson doesn't like the Jets so much after all.

8. ColoradoContrails

Or they don't like him so much.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, my friend!

Noam likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Hopefully, this is just the vestiges of having idiots like Idzik and Mac as GMs, when so many of the drafted players were failures/awful misses. Hopefully, with JD being more successful with drafting, they will drop this.

11. ColoradoContrails

At times like this, I think: "Ahhhh...THIS is the Woody we Jets fans know and "love"".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

JD could be out the door if Wilson fails, but I don't believe that it's a given. In fact, I don't think it would happen. He changed the way the scouts analyze prospects and as a result, drafting is better. JD has added a ton of talent to this team and has brought it respect. Wilson was one of the top 3 QB prospects in the draft, with many having him as the #2, some as the #3, and even some as the #1. He is a pefect fit for the scheme. With the CS and JD being lockstep, that makes it even more unlikely that any of them would be fired if Wilson doesn't pan out, especially if otherwise, the team is solid, competitive, and playing well each week.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not a jet thing it’s a league thing. The gms do it to try to recoup cap space, the owners sign off because, why wouldn’t they? I promise Soddy doesn’t care either way, he’s signing the check and counting it as money spent as soon as the pen touches the contract. What might be offset later if the pick busts can be found in his couch cushions. But in a cap league, 2-3 million returned to the cap is another player in free agency.

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Given how much they gave up by not trading the #2 pick they need to roll with it and not be concerned about him busting now--they've sunk so much into him that their current behavior is irrational although under normal circumstance your point about +3mm in cap is a good one. F the Johnsons!

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Well the good news is that we can fine him $50k per day. And if he stays away long enough, we’ll recoup the $ in fines that we want in offset language and then don’t have to put it in!

On a (hopefully) more serious note, he actually is-of is going to be-fined, correct?

17. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

The issue is next year and the year after. They give this to Zack every Jets rookie will use it to push for the same thing.

MoWilkBeast, FJF and regan62072 like this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't believe you can fine a player not under contract.

This whole start of camp is not near as exciting as I imagined it would be a few weeks ago.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

JD can’t change the way he negotiates, agents will eat him for lunch if he does. It takes a steady hand.

MoWilkBeast likes this.