Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

So frustrating! Why can't the NYJ get things done like every other team--WHY!!!!

Although it shouldn't, this shit just keeps the bad rep going and doesn't help create positive energy. Fucvk them.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wonder why AVT had no problem signing his 1st Round deal yet Zach Wilson has taken so much longer with his 1st Round deal? Just 12 picks apart. Wages already set too.

Wilson will eventually sign, any day or any hour now. It is still annoying/embarrassing the Jets have now done this with back to back 1st Round QB's.

FJF, NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not yet, but I'm working on it! LOL

4. NCJetsfan

Shhhhh. We already have posters who believe that. Don't fan the flames!

K'OB and Noam like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Hopefully there was no offset language in Trey Lance's contract. If so then Lawrence, Lance and Fields would all have no offset and the standard would be clear. But if Lance took the offset language then the Jets have a valid argument.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

WOW! I hadn't heard the bold about the offset language before. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but why would another team pick up the huge contract that Zach had signed with the Jets? If that's not what you're saying, then it seems he would have to sign a new contract with the new team. If so, then why wouldn't there be "new" money? Why would the offset language punish the agent and prevent him from getting a cut of the next contract he negotiated? Please explain.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Could this be a secret plan by Joe Douglas to get a true look at White and Morgan for a day or 2, and then decide if they need to make a back-up QB move or not? Doubtful, but it is a positive result from the situation. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

See my last post at the end of page 2.

9. NCJetsfan

I have to agree with this. If this is JD's doing, I'm disappointed and think it is a big mistake. If it's the damn Johnsons, fuck those morons! It is the height of greed or stupidity to piss him off, risk dampening his enthusiasm, and keeping him from being there day 1 with his teammates establishing himself as a team leader.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If there was an offset in year 4 and the jets owed Zach 9 million and they cut him. Say Zach then signs for 1 million with the Jags. Because of the offset the Jags will pay 1 million and the Jets then the remaining 8 million. Zach ends up the same earning 9 million. There is no new money for Zach or his agent unless the new team pays more than what the Jets owe.

And for purposes of this hypothetical I assumed the new team would pay the minimum as Zach earns no additional dollars if they pay him more.

That is my understanding of how it works. I think I am right but there might be someone more knowledgeable than I.

Sec124DieHard and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

This isn't Wilson, it's his agent. I agree with your general premise, however. I've always hated how professional sports teams negotiate contracts. Both sides drag their feet trying to get leverage and wait until the last minute. It's just male ego BS. Just be intent on getting it done in a timely manner, keep an open mind, be creative, be fair, and get it done. The ONE thing I liked about Tanny is that I believe he always got all the draft picks signed and to TC on time, but I may be mistaken.

#51 NCJetsfan, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    cmcm750203 and Noam like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Thanks, but that makes no sense to me. If the Jets cut/release a player, the contract is terminated, and becomes null and void. Why would the Jets still have to pay him any money unless they hadn't paid him all of his guaranteed money? Similarly, why wouldn't the new team have to sign him to a new contract? It makes no sense to me that the old Jets contract would still be in effect. Damn lawyers! Ought to send 'em all to the bottom of the ocean! LOL

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

His entire contract is guaranteed.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I hope you're right, because this is stupid! I'd like to think that JD is smarter than this. If it is the Johnsons or the team President's idea, JD should raise hell and demand that this change. Threaten to quit if he needs to. He'd have another job within an hour.

15. NCJetsfan

Sigh. I guess it's going to take longer for JD to get the Jets straightened out and there were other issues with the team other than lack of talent and the CS. Hopefully, the Johnsons wake the fuck up, fire the team President (if he's the problem) and give JD TOTAL control. If they're having cash flow problems, they need to get it figured out!!!! They're still well under the cap. There should be no issues, but if there are then sell some stock or sell the team.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No. You don't risk pissing of your QB to get a sneak peak at two players you can get a look at anyway.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Per the CBA his entire contract is guaranteed. If he is cut the Jets still owe him the money. But, if there is an offset then the Jets get back that money from any new contract he signs up to the amount owed. If there is no offset he csn sign and get paid by the new team and collect what he is owed by the Jets. Does that make better sense?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

The biggest issue with Zach being out of camp for any amount of time is that it will affect his ability to step in and take the leadership reins. He's a rookie which is always an issue. He's a white Mormon kid from Utah. That could be an issue with some in the locker room. And now he shows up after everyone else has already settled in and upsets the apple cart. Training camp will essentially start all over again the day he arrives.

This is another self inflicted wound. I just don't understand it. Whatever benefit the front office is able to squeeze out of Zach on the contract side of the house will be eclipsed by what they are losing with Zach being off the field at the beginning of training camp..

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hymie is probably the one pushing this agendum in the negotiations, and I doubt Hymie has any financial ideas that aren't pre-approved by Charlie and Linus.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Been searching for details on Lance's contract. Most writers seem to believe the offset language was dropped since the 49ers are usually generous, and Lance signed moments before the first practice - and is attending the first practice. Lynch has never had a rookie holdout. Offset details still not confirmed though.