Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

The offset is pretty common. It’s not a jets thing. This signing bonus stuff reeks of Woody though.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will get done soon…but it’s frustrating

These offsets are kind of like a pre-nup…yeah, we love you and think you’re THE guy and all….but just in case you REALLY suck and we have to cut you, we don’t want to pay you if you get another job

stupid

and then the bonus timing is purely same old Jets bullshit…just like the lip service of draft and develop, sure, but when we actually have a good player worthy of a second contract like Maye, we don’t do it…I really hope JD can start changing this culture

pay the fucking bonuses to the guy you anointed the starter by not even bringing any competition

I swear the way this team does business is mind boggling, and it’s no wonder we have sucked for so long

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I did not see that. If that is true that is a serious roadblock. The Jets tried something similar with Revis his rookie year offering him a contract outside the norm and it ended up making all future negotiations painful.

4. cmcm750203

Frustrating is the word. I don’t even blame them for trying to get the offset in there because it’s been done all the time. I still think that with Lawrence and Fields getting contracts without they should just punt on that, but then they Jet it up with the signing bonus crap. Unreal.

Im torn on Maye. On one hand he’s only been in the league 4 years. On the other he’s 28 and the safety position is not known for having great players on the other side of 30.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. That's pretty low and petty from the Jets. every QB drafted didn't have this offset language so Wilson shouldn't either. Why do they fight stupid things like that?!?

Inigo Montoya and Noam like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm wondering if they're trying to use the signing bonus as a negotiation tactic?

In other words, start out saying they want to kick some of his money to next year but then ultimately "concede" on that point if Wilson is willing to budge on the offset language front?

I get both sides but at this point I just want Wilson on the practice field.

7. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

You can sugarcoat this all you want, but it is a disgrace that Wilson is not in camp day 1. Both on him and the Jets.

Seneca, Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. cmcm750203

It’s always our guys too. Everyone else gets their guys in on time. What’s the common denominator all these years? I’ll give you 3 guesses. Certainly not gonna help bringing future free agents here.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

10. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

How long did the Darnold hold out go for? Amazing how it’s the same issue.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I believe he missed the first 3 practices of TC.

12. JetFan20

My guess is it has nothing to do with the GM. Obvious team policy and they don’t want to set the precedent.

13. JetFan20

The Chargers seem to always have issues with this as well. Not great company to be in.

york61 likes this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Listen bickety

Either Zach is there on Saturday or I am egging JD's house who lives close to me anyway. His choice. I don't know man. I am pumped for Saturday and I want to see our shiny new toy!

NCJetsfan, Lon Chaney and Noam like this.
  15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Had to do process of elimination to confirm who was playing QB

ouchy likes this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Trey Lance just signed. Zach is the final rook QB holdout.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Once the details are released, there should be no more excuses to prevent his deal getting done. The guy in front of Zach and behind Zach are signed, do what they did...easy.

ouchy likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's actually the only draft pick not signed, period.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Moments like this are why I don't have much faith that this incarnation of the Jets is going to be unlike the other ones.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

From what I'm reading there are multiple sticking points in the negotiation.

1. The Jets want to roll over a larger part of what is expected to be a 23 million signing bonus to a later date - even potentially to next season(s). Not clear how much.

2. The offset language, which means if Wilson is cut, the guaranteed money we owe him would decrease if he signs with another team. They want a potential cut to work similar to a trade where if another team signs him the amount he gets paid by that team is subtracted from the guaranteed money the Jets owe him.

IMO there is no reason to attempt #1 unless we are planning another big trade/signing this season. (Maybe Xavian Howard?). If we are going after Howard I'd be down with trying to roll over the signing bonus. Otherwise - give him the money. WTF?

IMO we should also agree to no offset language like other top draft picks have gotten. You draft a guy at #2 you better be prepared to give him the same respect other top rookie QBs are getting. You've already rolled the dice and gone all in on him. Might as well stand behind him contractually as well. Why waffle at it now?

I expect this will get done in the next day or two. At this point the Jets have the most to lose because we have been "business" heavy with our cap - meaning we have been contractually hard balling our slim leadership core. Do we really want our crown jewel draft pick to join them in the whispers of how the jets have no loyalty. I expect the Jets to cave here before this issue builds, unless its coming from the Johnsons in which case - it still sucks to be owned by the Johnsons.

#40 ouchy, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021