Zach Wilson Signs….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

He is still unsigned. Camp is about to start. His agent is Bosa’s agent. This truly sucks. I hope he doesn’t miss more than a day or two at most.

HomeoftheJets and jetstopgun like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Has everybody picked sides in the reactionary argument that's going to rage in this thread for the 1-3 days he remains unsigned?

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am gonna throw fits if he isn’t there Saturday. I finally found a ticket to practice thanks to @BroadwayZach and if Zach isn’t there I will be ballistic. Lol

AJW and Noam like this.
  4. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

I don’t ever recall camp tickets being so hard to get. Maybe it’s just my dementia

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It'll get done. Not even worried in the slightest.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am sure it will but the question is will it get done before Saturday's practice so Brook can see Zach. That is the question.

If we go by the Sam Darnold time line Zach's first practice will be Saturday as Sam missed his first 3 practices. But given that Zach has always been ahead of Sam I am expecting Zach to only miss 2 practices and be there Friday.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

If the players can accept having the amount of money they can earn on their rookie contracts predetermined, then isn't it time for this offset language to also be carved in stone? One contract, everyone signs it, no drama. How important can this actually be?

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Hope it gets done soon. Rookie QB, new CS, new system and schemes to learn. He needs all the reps on the field and classroom study with the coaches and teammates he can get to get ready for the season. He also needs to get his share of preseason action as well. The season is about 6 weeks away.

Jets81, Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I actually got tickets to two days of open practice this year because the last time I went to the first day, our savior rookie quarterback didn’t practice because he was unsigned…

Brook! likes this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm not at all worried about it overall, but I definitely get this. I do think he'll be there well before Saturday, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's resolved today.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Good idea.

In regards to importance. It is not important. The only way it would matter is if ZW completely flames out then everyone loses. An extra million on offset matters nothing. The only people that it matters to is to the people that negotiate contracts for a living. The Jets FO is concerned about setting bad precedent while ZW's agent does not want to get a worse deal than Fields and Lawrence got. That agent knows that other agents will use that against him if he lets Zach become the only QB of the top 4 that takes the offset language. Not to mention the agent knows if there is an offset and ZW flames and gets cut then the agent has to negotiate a new deal with a new team where the agent gets paid nothing as there is no new money because of the offset. It really is a shame as the issue is so minor.

#12 Noam, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What is the issue? Has it been reported? Are they trying to low ball him? It should be pretty easy - he gets a little bit less than the no.1 pick and a little bit more than the no. 3 pick

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

They have has months to get this done, for Wilson, his agent and the team not to have him in camp on the first day shows how pathetic this organization is. Not happy with the GM or Wilson.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The money is already set by the cba at 35 mill guaranteed with a signing bonus of 22.9 mill. The issue is offset language. Lawrence and Fields have gotten contracts with no offset. Lance and ZW want the same. The Jets FO wants an offset arguing that the other non qb 1st round picks have gotten offsets. There may be an additional issue of when the signing bonus is paid out but that is negotiable and will resolve itself once the offset is done. Likely the loser of the offset might gain a few days in tge payment schedule.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

17. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Fields and Lawrence already set the precedent for the offsets. What are the jets accomplishing here besides stubbornly refusing to budge on something that hopefully won’t even matter? You’re just gonna set this guy back for no reason over a few hypothetical million dollars.

18. cmcm750203

Inigo Montoya and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. cmcm750203

Wouldn’t moving money to next year count against the cap? Why would you set yourself back cap-wise later when you have no cap issues now?

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If offset language is a franchise thing then Saleh lied when he told Serby this past weekend that the Johnsons don’t interrupt any football operations.