Chandler Jones

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jul 25, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Looking to get out of Arizona. Any interest?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He was great in 2019 with 19 sacks, but only appeared in 5 games last season and had 1 sack. He might still have gas in the tank, but the Jets need to develop/find out what they have in Huff and Zuniga. Jones' career is about over. With Curry, Lawson, and Blair they have 3 veteran DEs, that's enough. If we didn't have Lawson or Curry, then I'd have interest, but not as things are.

If Foles becomes available, a good, but older TE who fits the scheme shakes free, or a versatile depth-type LB becomes available, then the Jets may have interest, but I'll be surprised if they sign anyone else barring some very good player unexpectedly suddenly becoming available.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

For the right price, I think I'd be OK with it. He'd probably only be here for one season, so that would factor in. I cant imagine JD re-signing a 32 year old DE for big money.

I'd probably do a 4th or 5th. One year of pretty solid production, maybe helps the Jets make a wild card run. Any more than that, probably isn't worth it IMO.

4. NCJetsfan

Why give up a 4th or 5th for a one-year rental? He isn't going to be the difference between us making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. We already have a crowded DL. IMO it would not be wise to have to let one of our young, promising, DL go to sign him for one year.

In addition, that 4th or 5th round pick could be a solid starter or a solid backup and STer for 5 years or more.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and abyzmul like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets already have an older EDGE at that position in Vinny Curry, if they're rebuilding then they need to limit those types of signings. NC is right, let the young bucks compete.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Not to mention we are really deep at DL with 12 potentially good players but only 9 or 10 roster spots. Adding Chandler means cutting another good player.

Look at our DL. QW, Lawson, JFM, Futakasi, Curry, Rankins, Huff, Blair, Shepherd, Phillips, Marshall and Zuniga. Cutting 2 to 3 will be painful.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. jcass10

Or far more realistically, a 4th or 5th rounder could be nothing. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets third, fourth and fifth rounders were all on the chopping block this year.

Let me be clear, I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but who's to say adding a pass rusher with his potential might not make the difference between a wild card and not? A QW, JFM, Lawson, Jones front four could be dynamite. No real room for any doubles there.

I'm ok sacrificing a non-premium pick to add talent to win games. With the Jets draft capital, recouping a fourth or fifth rounder would be easy.

8. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

even if you knew this signing would yield a wildcard I wouldn’t be super thrilled about it. Roster is a few key pieces from competing for a Super Bowl why take on a bigger contract for a guy who will only contribute a year or two when you have a young hungry guy you’re going to cut to bring him in.

next year is the time to bring in the mercenaries that might bring us over the top. Develop organically and through next years draft until next years crop of Free Agents come available imo.

nycarl and Noam like this.
  9. jcass10

I guess that's just my mentality about the Jets right now. If you told me the Jets could make a low risk move for a fourth or fifth rounder and it would guarantee a wild card I would do that no questions asked. Making the playoffs would reinvigorate the fan base in a way we probably haven't seen in a while. Hell look at the Knicks last season, I don't think there are many people who wished they tanked.

I don't think you can just keep pushing off-seasons off because this isn't a Superbowl roster.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

and

Yes, the 4th or 5th rounder could be nothing. With Mac or Idzik as GM it would have been guaranteed to be nothing, but with JD there's a good chance that it will be a productive player. There is no way that the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders will be on the chopping block. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous imo.

You do realize this is a rebuilding team, with a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie QB, and a lot of other young players will play prominent roles, don't you? If so, what are the odds that even with Jones, that we'd go from 2-14 last season to 9-8 or 10-7 this year? I'm not a gambler, but believe they'd be pretty heavily against that happening. For that to happen, we'd have to have a magical year, with no major injuries, lmost every move and decistion that Saleh made work out, and Zack pretty much play great right out of the gate and not play like a rookie.

I'm not OK sacrificing capital of any kind, but especially draft capital to rent a player for one season on a rebuilding team. The chances are it would be a complete waste of that capital, which would hurt next year and going forward. It's just not a wise use of resources imo. I know that we've been bad for years, but imo we just have to be patient for another year or two. We knew that we had a poor roster due to the horrible drafting and crazy FA signings that Mac made. We knew that things weren't going to magically get better overnight. More than likely, it is going to be a 2-3 year process to turn this around, and we don't want to prolong it by wasting resources this season trying to make the playoffs when the odds are heavily against us. The odds are much better that next season we truly can be a playoff team Saleh, LaFleur and Zach will all have a year's experience. They'll have a better idea of what our needs are and who can help us going forward. That 4th or 5th round pick next year could come in really handy either in adding a very good player who dropped like Nasirildeen or using it to trade up to get a better player in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Thankfully, JD has already shown last year that he's not going to throw good money after bad. He's not going to waste capital trying to put lipstick on a pig and win maybe 1-2 more games. He is trying to build a perennial contender and sustainable success building primarily through the draft.

I can understand your mentality on this and respect your opinion. I just don't think it's the wisest course forward, but I can understand your thoughts, and that's fair. I mostly disagree with that philosophy, but no one said that we had to agree.

There's no such thing as a guaranteed wild card. The Jets could make that trade and then Jones go down for the season in TC, or miss most of the season like last year with an injury, or God forbid, Lawson and Curry could go down.

No one said anything about "tanking" this season. IMO if the fanbase would sacrifice trying to build a sustainable winner by burning resources to try to make the playoffs in a year where it isn't very realistic that that can happen, then maybe we need a new fanbase, or at least one with amnesia about the past. Even though it's hard to forget the past, we must. We can't make decisions based on the failures of Mac, Idzik, Tanny, Bradway, and the legion of buffoons that came before. We should take the best, wisest course forward as if the past 10 years never happened. I understand that's not what fans want, but it's what GMs and HCs MUST do. They can't try to compensate the fanbase for the previous 10 (50=) years of suffering in one season where they still have a number of holes and a lot of inexperience. Like it or not, we are just going to have to be patient and give JD and Saleh another year or two. The fanbase will still get just as excited next year as they would this year. If they can't get excited this season by the smarter decisions, greater talent, greater energy and competitiveness on the field, glimpses of potential for the future, and finally having an NFL caliber offense and pass rush, then something is wrong with them imo.

It's not about pushing off seasons, it's about wise use of resources and not making mistakes out of impatience or because of mistakes of the past. Two wrongs don't make a right. Burning resources to try to make the playoffs this year, where most likely we'd lose in the 1st round isn't going to make up for the last 10 years.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Noam likes this.
  11. jcass10

Just quoting the highlighted, as we're clearly not going to agree on the topic at hand, and that's fine.

Do you think Ashytn Davis, Zuniga, Perine, Cam Clark, and James Morgan are all 100% locks to make the roster this season? I dont think its ridiculous to think one or more may not make the opening day roster.

12. NCJetsfan

No, but you said that they're ALL likely to be cut. That's not going to happen. I would be surprised if any of them are cut. You're judging them based on last season under Gase. You seem to have forgotten that they had no OTAs, no minicamp, an abbreviated TC and no preseason games. Morgan got few reps. He was never going to see the field. If both Sam and Flacco had gone down, Gase would have wanted a vet signed off the street. He was trying to save his job and career. Zuniga was hurt early and never caught up. The same goes for Clark. Davis was thrown to the wolves, and did pretty well when playing as a SS, but wasn't ready to play as a FS. None of Johnson, Adams and Perine got much playing time last season because Gase was too busy trying to get Gore to whatever yardage total he was trying to achieve. It was a horrible CS. Saleh has said that they're all like rookies this season. Judging them and thinking they should get cut is silly imo.

Davis is probably a lock to make the team, as is Morgan. Due to the depth we now have on the DL, Clark may not make the roster as he is not an ideal fit, but I'll be very surprised if JD gives up on him this early. If he doesn't make the roster, he will go to the PS. They knew he would be a project when they drafted him. I hope Perine is cut, but he will probably make the team as Douglas will want to give him a shot with this CS and in this offense. IMO Zuniga is the one most likely to get cut. He showed nothing last year, and with the exception of Davis, he got more playing time than Perine, Morgan and Clark put together. With the depth they have on the DL, unless he really shows something in TC, I think he could be a goner, or sent to the PS.

13. jcass10

Sorry, I meant that any one of them could get cut, not that they all would. I think Perine is more than likely gone and Clark is on the fence. I could easily see Zuniga gone as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The name will always remind me of the day I happened into a bar FILLED with the Giants scouting department who were out celebrating the end of the draft. When I confessed to them I was a Jets fan, they at first busted my chops of course but then got serious and said "You took Quentin Coples and not Chandler Jones. BIG mistake" The guy I was hanging with scouted and interviewed both players. Oh well. I've told this story before here, and apologize to those who remember it. Soon Chandler will be retired and I'll never have to tell it again. But I'll never forget that night. Giants have made their fare share of clunker picks too, but nailed that assessment. It's so odd now to think of a fanbase wanting to bring in Coples all these years later.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I would like it.

BUT it doesn't seem like a move JD would make, so I doubt it happens.