Marcus Maye negotiations have "gone south"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We've already lost it.

Noam likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

As it turns out we were playing Leo in the wrong position. Gettlemen recognized it, JD didn't, and got us a 3rd for a guy who would get 11.5 sacks.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Not only the wrong position, but in the wrong scheme. You give Gettleman too much credit. He is an awful GM. He just got lucky. It was a coup to get a 3rd for him after the way he played for us. JD couldn't have foreseen a scheme change and how Williams might play in a different scheme.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Agreed, except I don't know about this not knowing stuff. Leo played in a similar system under Rodgers in 2016 and made the pro bowl. It was Greg Williams scheme where Leo went south. Also, I think Greg Williams probably told Leo to bulk up. That made his play drop off and all of us make fun of him.

Its not a coup to get a 3rd for a starting young d-linemen/former pro bowler. It is a coup to pay a 3rd to get a top young d-linemen. JD has made a few good trades but he was taken on the Leo trade.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think it’s simply that the players just aren’t that good. If they were the former gm would still be the current gm.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're praising Gettlemen over JD lol you have now reached your record new low.

At least blame the HC for playing the player in the wrong position but then if JD insisted a player played he would then be a team interfering cunt in your warped mind.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

What would everyone be happy getting for him?

Is a 2nd and a late round pick too much?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure how NFL teams would view it. At his age, I'd be surprised if they got a 2nd and didn't have to give a pick back, much less a 2nd and a late pick. I think probably a 3rd round pick would be about right, but could be way off.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That would be stupid. Trade him, draft another safety with the pick and hope he becomes as good as Marcus Maye in a couple years. Then we can trade that guy for a mid-round pick

BacktoQueens likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

No it wouldn't. Maye is towards the end of his career. He may have two more good years or could have maybe 8 at most. There are no guarantees. He may not even have two. He could sustain a major injury or his play just fall off in the new scheme. A GM of a team that's already a serious contender, might sign him to a 3-4 year deal that is front loaded. I seriously doubt if the GM of a rebuilding team would sign him to a 3-4 year deal, especially if he was changing scheme. No good GM, anyway. JD is being fiscally responsible with a non-premium position.

This is a fact of life in the NFL. Where have you been? QBs, WRs, CBs, Edge, LTs, and to some extent RBs (in the past mostly) were paid more than S, OGs, C, and LB (unless they were a 3-4 Edge rusher) or All Pro. This has changed somewhat as different teams run different schemes, have different priorities and differing thoughts on what the premium poisitions are. Cs and LGs are getting paid more and top 3 players at any position get paid more. Maye is not a top 3 S. We can afford to be sentimental. NFL GMs cannot.

If JD trades Maye and then drafts another S next year, then if that player plays well, he will get a 2nd contract unless he asks for crazy money. JD wouldn't be trading Maye just to be trading him. It would be because he thinks that Maye is not worth what he's asking, and knows he will still want a too big contract next year. It certainly appears that's how the team is going to be run. I don't mean this in a smart ass way, but if you don't like it and it will make you miserable, then I suggest you may need to either adjust your thinking or start looking for another team to root for, because JD isn't going anywhere any time soon.

It's fair to not like it or agree with that way of doing things, but it's how the top teams do things. It's how the Steelers, Patriots, and other top teams have been doing it. The NFL is more a business these days, and less a sport. I wish it weren't that way. I wish that both teams and players would show loyalty. I wish that contracts had to be honored. That's not how it is, however,and I've had to alter/adjust my thinking and accept how things are.

#150 NCJetsfan, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    K'OB, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Marcus Maye has played only 4 NFL seasons. He is in his prime not the end of his career. You are suggesting 2021 "may" be his final season in the league. I would bet any amount of money that its not

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The issue is that the Jets can almost certainly get a S in the draft that would be close to as good, if not better, than Maye, and who would certainly be younger and cheaper. Statistically Safeties past the age of 28 are on the downhill side of their career, so why would JD pay a premium for that?

13. BrowningNagle

3 answers to your question:

Because they can not "almost certainly" find a Safety as good as him. I wish it was that easy

Because they would have to spend resources to try to find that anyway, when they could just keep the guy they have and spend those resources elsewhere

Because they have more cap room than everyone, so they can afford him easily

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Maye is a seasoned vet. Any team wanting to make a run and doesn’t have a quality FS won’t be able to find an instant contributor in the draft.

Because there are too few options, Maye could get a 1st with a 2nd or 3rd sent back.

Hello Carolina.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There a 1 top safety in the draft and the Jets will be in a position to pick him.

16. BrowningNagle

When you pick top 10 every season that usually true about every prospect

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets can get a 2nd round pick for Maye they should grab it. That's the top end of his range.

Realistically we're going to wind up with a 3rd round pick in 2023 after he leaves as a free agent following the 2021 season. This assuming that there is actually a big market for a 29 year old FS, which is a big if. If he signs a one year prove it deal somewhere it won't matter how much money is in the deal the Jets will be lucky to get a 5th round comp pick at that point.

ouchy likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Yes, he has only been in the NFL 4 seasons, but he must not have entered college until he was 20 or 21. What was he doing for those years? If he wasn't doing something that took a toll on his body, they he could possibly play closer to 8 more years than 2, but the bottom line is that he wants way more than he is worth and more than JD values him for and is willing to pay.

EDIT: Thanks to Lon Chaney for correcting me. Maye was 19 when he entered college, was redshirted his first season of college, then played for 4 years. So he practiced for 5 years in college, whereas many players only have 2 or 3 years of college practice and play, so Maye has about the same wear and tear as other 28 year-old NFLers.

#159 NCJetsfan, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Spot on. Hard to extend guys that were largely drafted by perhaps the worst drafting GM in recent history.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.