Have optimism but also don't expect much in 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jul 23, 2021.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Agree 100%.

legler82 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was excoriated on FB for stating this exact POV. You guys know me and I don't get excited unless there's something solid to back it up. When it comes to the Jets, I believe what my eyes tell me. Folks are justified in being optimistic, but there comes a point where reality takes over and that reality is, this is YEAR ONE of a multi-year rebuild. No amount of green koolaid will change that. Miracles have been known to happen, but if it happened regularly, they wouldn't be "miracles" anymore would they?? Patience is the key here for the fanbase.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am excited about the approach to the rebuild, I am excited about the talent in the front office, I am excited about the coaching staff and the support being given to young players. This is all quite different than past Jet teams.

I am excited about the new QB and I am excited about the last 2 drafts. With the pandemic last years rookies are essentially rookie again this year.

Does all this excitement mean it will work? No. No matter how well one plans and how many good decisions one makes there is a large element of luck involved. Seeing what happened to Gregg Knapp is an illustration of how unfair life can be. I was really excited about Knapp helping ZW develop. His passing is a large blow. Knapp was in charge of developing ZW and he was the reason why this QB development was supposed to turn out differently. Certainly his passing has drained most of my enthusiasm but it is also a challenge to JD and to the CS to step up and find ways to provide support for ZW.

There is no guarantee of success but we should be excited about this season. It is a new chapter in a new Jets story. This team looks a lot like 1977. Extremely young, new coach coming off a horrendous coach and period of ineptitude. Young players take time and make mistakes. With lots of reps hopefully by the end of the year we will see the beginnings of a better team ready to blossom.

#5 Noam, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  6. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

My thought is what exactly what the article says. Expect some good and expect some bad. I want to see how this team handles adversity. That will show how tough they are.

“Our identity is not going to reveal itself until we see adversity,” -Robert Saleh

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#6 AJW, Jul 24, 2021
    Brook! and Noam like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that you were excoriated on FB. You're a great guy and deserve better, and truth be told, that's probably the wisest, mentally-healthiest approach to take. I see myself as one of the most optimistic posters here, and I'm very excited about the Jets' future and potential, but I'm not "expecting" a lot this year in terms of wins vs losses. I think it could happen that everything comes together for the Jets, they get on a roll and they wind up winning 9-10 games, but it's not bloody likely. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING would have to go perfectly...no major injuries, Zach would have to be great out of the gate and never struggle, Moore, Davis and Mims would have to be dynamically successful, the pass rush would have to be wildly successful, and Saleh and the staff do everything right. I really don't care how many games they win this year as long as they are competitive, get better each week, develop the young players and determine who can help them going forward. I believe in Douglas like I've never believed in another GM the Jets have had in my adult life. I'm extremely optimistic about Saleh, LaFleur and Ulbrich. The loss of Knapp has tempered that optimism somewhat, as I think his loss will be huge and will be felt. I believe in the amazing amount of talent that Douglas has accumulated in just two FAs and two drafts. I think they win 6-8 games (But it may be only 4-5 if they struggle at all early). I do think the foundation for the future is here, and that future looks very promising.

It's easy for me to go all in on being optimistic, because this is my last rodeo. If Douglas, Saleh, and Zach don't prove to be the real deals, I'm done with spending so much time and energy following the Jets. I'll find something else to do with my time that is more worthwhile, that can help others, and not be as selfish and self-indulgent. I don't have it in me to become jaded and cynical or pessimistic about something I love. If people and things that I love wind up continually disappointing, frustrating, hurting me and don't give me equal amounts of joy and satisfaction, I move on. IMO it's not healthy to stay with people or things that constantly bring one down and/or make one frustrated.

#7 NCJetsfan, Jul 24, 2021
    Leicester Jet, SOJAZ, AJW and 8 others like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I wonder what plans the Jets are making to try to replace Knapp (not that just anyone could). There probably aren't any QB coaches or former QB coaches out there that are worth having that don't have jobs or whom have been retired for a while. I know that Zach has worked a lot with Beck, his own QB Coach. I wonder if there is any thought (or any interest on Beck's part) in becoming the Jets new QB coach at least maybe for this year.

patleahy, joelip and Noam like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While I concur with some of that article I'm far more excited that I have been in years and quite frankly I don't consider that neither hype nor hope.
    I am thrilled to see what we have. I'm excited to finally wake up on Sunday and look forward to a game where win or loose we will have fun watching this team grow together , with the highs and lows of youth, but that plays with energy and confidence. I'm excited that we no longer have to sit there and expect the worst, watching the face of rejection on the coaches and the players on the sideline, unconsciously hoping we loose a close battle to tank for a new QB. I'm tired of the past, with its BS, incompetency and lack of unity. I'm looking forward to see a 100% effort, lead by a talented HC staff that plays to improve, jell and grow into a winning organization. I don't expect a winning record nor first year miracle run. I expect a unified, professional and competitive team effort that is no longer the butt of everyone's joke. I expect to enjoy watching every game and have fun at it. The only hope is that winning will come with time, and that's no hype.

SOJAZ, AJW, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think it’s a reasonable view…I’m optimistic as well…probably more so than I’ve been since the Rex Ryan AFCCG days

I like JDs approach…get OL and actually drafting offensive playmakers…I like the free agency approach…I like the draft pick accumulation…I’m waiting to see about last years class but this years class looks to be stellar at this stage…Becton needs to stay healthy…Mims needs to develop…I love the approach after years of shit with Idzik and Mac

I’m optimistic about Salehafter the downer Gase and Bowles years…those guys just sapped all the energy out of the room…ugh

so I’m hopeful

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I expect growing pains for the rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie QB, and players as they learn a new system. This season is all about showing signs that better times are ahead in 2022. 5-7 wins is my projection.

Leicester Jet, AJW, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I’m optimistic, but I am prepared for a 6-8 win team (losing record).

If we win 5 or less games, that to me would be disappointing.

york61, AJW, patleahy and 1 other person like this.
  13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm optimistic, but I definitely have realistic expectations. With a rookie quarterback and a first-year head coach, I anticipate a lot of growing pains. I would be perfectly happy with six to eight wins. More importantly I would just like to see them stay competitive in games. Don't get blown out six-seven times this year. I swear there were games with Gase where it felt like the game was over five minutes into the first quarter.

AJW, Cman68, Noam and 2 others like this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We have a QB coach. Knapp was in more of an advisory role… a very knowledgable and great guy by all accounts but we still have a QB coach.

PJ4Ever, AJW and patleahy like this.
  15. KingRoach

For all intents and purposes, the 1st year of a rebuild is the tear down. I believe we are in year 2 of our rebuild.

york61, PJ4Ever, AJW and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Noted... I hope fans realize that this is still a rebuilding team. We were a 2-14 roster with perhaps one of the worst coaches in the history of NY sports. That coach is gone now along with his enabler Chris Johnson. Even Woody is staying in the background where he belongs and letting JD run the team.

That the Johnsons are no longer involved in decision making day to day is perhaps the biggest upgrade since the JD hire. Now all we as fans need to do is give the new regime time to get their plan implemented. If it works? Great since we won't suck anymore. If it doesn't, we're used to it after all these losing seasons so its nothing new. Either way, the Jets will continue to play on Sundays and we'll continue to watch them.

#16 Cman68, Jul 24, 2021
  17. NCJetsfan

He's young and has little or no experience. Knapp was functioning as the QB Coach and Zach worked with him exclusively during OTAs and minicamp. Calabrese (our QB Coach) is not going to be much help.

Noam likes this.
  18. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Not putting an expectation on wins and losses but more so the behavior of the team. Do they look disciplined on the field? Are the coaches drawing up and running modern plays and offensive and defensive schemes? Are guys giving effort every play? Are we competing in the game? Those are the things I look forward to seeing moving in the right direction this year. Can the coach make this a place where players want to come and play? Can this rookie QB show some hope that he can improve from the beginning to the end of the season? Are any of our free agent signings going to contribute and make an impact? Will CJ Mosely turn back into an elite linebacker under Coach Saleh? Show me some positives.

19. KingRoach

While I respect your opinion in many instances, I’ll trust Saleh more than you in this case.

If Knapp was the QB coach, he’d have the title to go with it.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Exactly my feelings, except that I can see them winning 9 games if everything breaks their way. I will be disappointed with 5 wins or fewer unless they are unusually unlucky and things consistently break against them (which would ultimately be okay), or there are crucial injuries (which would be bad for a different reason).