Marcus Maye negotiations have "gone south"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We've alll seen this movie before and know how it ends..

Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What the Patriots have done is their own version of moneyball but where they remove the human element from what is essentially a people business. They treat their guys like numbers and it's a luxury they have been able to afford because they tripped over the GOAT QB in the 6th round of a draft over 20 years ago.

Fast forward and the GOAT is now winning SBs with another team and the Patriots are forced to spend 100 million dollars more than any other team in free agency to get the players they need to compete because they have drafted so poorly over the years, and because the same asshole is running the team but you have completely removed the protection from a bad reputation you earned by winning.

It's easy for fans to treat the players like numbers because that is what the teams want you to do, but the fact of the matter is that the second contract in a player's career is the first, best, and sometimes only chance for that player to make a big payday and the Jets have made it a habit not to bring players back on that contract.

It affects their reputation and it matters.

#122 abyzmul, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    REVISion, Brook!, Jets81 and 7 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How many GMs have the Jets had in the last 10 years and every single one of them has gone cheap with in house players, trading them, letting them walk. That tells me it has to come from ownership. There's no way 5 different GMs all had the same philosophy about contract extensions

jets_fan likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Instead of hefty contract for Adams we got AVT on a rookie deal and a first round pick. Maye is still under contract for 10 mil this year, still on the roster, and we can tag him again next year until he is 30. I think we did just fine on that front with JD.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the agent isn't. Maye has been and so has JD.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There probably has to be some degree of this at play, I would agree. I find the whole thing disheartening, especially in this instance, because this is a guy who did everything right and now it looks like he's going to join the long list of players the Jets have drafted that have played well but haven't resigned. This guy stepped up, filled the void on the field left by the Adams trade, and exceeded expectations while doing so, all while being an absolute leader in the clubhouse. There's no reason not to get this deal done.

BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There absolutely is a reason not to get this deal done. If it's true that Maye is wanting $14m+ per season, he will not remain a Jet, nor should he. He's not a top 3 S in the NFL. S is not a premium position and he's 28 years old. It would be a different matter entirely if he was only 24-26. He has done what he was supposed to do, what he was drafted and paid to do. The only extra may have been leadership. If we overpay every player who does what he's supposed to do then we'll be in cap hell. I hope a compromise can be worked out for the future if Maye proves to be a good fit in our scheme and has a good season. I wouldn't mind if JD overpays a little bit, say $11-12m, or maybe even $13m, but not $14m.

KingRoach likes this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's no reason to pay him to the point where he'll be the highest paid safety, but he's earned the right to be overpaid a bit, especially considering that it would be beneficial for the Jets to finally, for once, resign one of their own. Being able to resign a player that the team has drafted, developed, and has seen quality play from, especially considering our past of rarely doing it, would be a good look for the franchise and something that would be worth that extra money coming Marcus' way.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. abyzmul

I have to wonder if his locker room leadership is playing into this. I'll be the first to admit I don't have any insight into what kind of leader he is, I know he's a good player that keeps his mouth shut during times of adversity.

Back in the day, everybody assumed that Marvin Harrison was a standup guy because he played a disciplined game at a high level and he kept his mouth shut. Later we find out he is a crime lord in Philly. And no, I'm not accusing Maye of hidden crimes, just saying the cover of that book doesn't really tell you a whole lot.

If the Jets do sign an overpay for Maye it will be because they want some veteran leadership overlap for their rebuild, and only because he has actually embraced a leadership role. He doesn't have elite performance to lean on. And this is the time during a rebuild when they can afford to frontload a deal like that.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Remove some noise and get a 1st in the process? What’s not to like?

Even if it’s spent on a top safety prospect I’d say we’d come out ahead. Maye is a known quantity but someone even 80% as good on a rookie deal would be a better option than Maye in a season or 2.

Douglas brought in a lot of high character, team captain type of guys and I’d love to see new leaders emerge organically instead of the title going to vets by default. That’s no slight towards Maye and I believe he’s earned that reputation, but I don’t think he’ll get his big contract - maybe ever - so I expect he’ll become even more bitter as time goes on.

ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It has worked both ways. We have overpaid for Free Agents. The Jets have had so much instability in their front office and coaching, they don't want to keep another GM's players.

Maye is a very good player, not a superstar, I believe JD doesn't want to over pay for a safety. He will put ownership's money in the most important postions, QB, OT and eventually a CB in the future.

#132 WW85, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  13. abyzmul

It's not a philosophy, it's a step that most GMs take because they don't want some other GM to get credit for the job they are doing. I thought that was common knowledge.

Seems like a vanity thing and I'd hope that Joe was above it, but he traded Leo and Sam, and Maye doesn't look too good right now, maybe that changes.

ouchy likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Please post more often if you can. We need your knowledge and wisdom.

Brook! likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

#135 NCJetsfan, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  16. NCJetsfan

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

He actually offers a deal like that, too:

Juston Burris
    2022 3rd Round Pick
    2023 3rd Round Pick

as well as this one:

2022 3rd Round Pick
    Yetur Gross-Matos

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yes, I saw those. Why would we want Burris back? He wasn't good when he was here except for his rookie season. It will be interesting to see if the Jets keep Maye all season and try to re-sign him or if they move him now or by the trade deadline. I wonder if they Jets would have any interest in Gross-Matos.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He traded Leo and Sam whose production for us was poor, Adam's production wasn't poor but he was a mouthy arse and had to go, not sure you can call it dumping another GM's picks.

Though 90% of Mac's picks are already gone for one reason or another, mostly because they stank the place out.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets do what the Jets do because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

You can market those big free agent acquisitions much more successfully than you can market your big extensions for homegrown players. New players are the hype.

We're *never* getting out of the rut we're in until the Jets lose the marketing first approach the Johnsons have always embraced.

ouchy likes this.