The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

haha.... exactly my point.... I wouldve went 30# braid though

Thanks but Elsa was a non-issue, especially on this side..... it took a cruise through the sticks ("Dixie" county if that means anything to ya ;)).... just a days worth of moderate rain. You'll prob get worse weather than I did

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

She came thru yesterday. Kicked NYC in the ass with lotsa water. Should be in Canada by Sunday..

3. stinkyB

The surf in Long Island was smokin' yesterday....

4. Cman68

Well, she's gone now. Up visiting the Canucks in the Maritimes. Looking at 5kt winds and 3ft seas tomorrow. I'll be out there slow pitching until we switch to Ling or whatever is patrolling the bottom. I've seen several Monkfish win the pool lately. Ugly ass fish but I hear they cook up nicely.

5. stinkyB

FINALLY got my lil boat out in the ocean yesterday...... handled 2' chop about as good you can expect from a shallow drafting 17' boat, and was very dry (2 friends I brought both were shocked "I brought foul weather gear expecting to get hosed" None of us ever got a drop.... Motor ran great too (My primary concern after my initial issues).... still need to figure out the fuel gauge but I'm pretty pumped,

One bad thing is that apparently the livewell pump crapped out..... could be an electrical connection from wave pounding (depthfinder/gps would also short in and out after hitting some chop)..... but we didnt find out about the livewell until we ran out to 9 mile reef and went to but baits out (slow troll live menhaden), and I opened the livewell to see it half full and a bunch of dead baits :confused:

We trolled around lures and got one small kingfish.....briefly bottom fished (and I used a jig) and one lil snapper, and one decent one that got whacked by a shark.

I was mostly just happy how the boat ran. 3 dudes, alot of fishing gear, 28 gal of fuel, ice, etc..... ran 30mph when seas allowed and 20 when we had some 2' chop..... ran solid for 7hrs :cool::D:D

jilozzo, Cman68 and bicketybam like this.
  6. Cman68

Just finalized my September Road Trip to Gloucester MA today. Cod, Pollock, Haddock, Cusk and who knows what else will be patrolling Jeffrey's ledge. Last time up there we killed them with our electric reels and glow beads. This time I'll be bringing my Temple Reef SPJR / Torium 16H along with my bait rod and electric reel. Got a buddy and his wife coming along too. Having trouble convincing him to ditch the Ugly Stik Tiger lite for something heavier. We'll be between 200-350ft fishing with 1lb lead or more depending on the current. I have a feeling he'll be using the rental rods before the day is over. Wifey will most likely be using one of the Tanacoms. Nice way to make up for the slow start to Fishing '21. Tile in August, Pollock in Sept, Offshore Sea bass in Oct and Block Is, RI in early Nov. Now if I can get Mother Nature to cooperate... Good times ahead!! :)

jilozzo, patleahy and stinkyB like this.
  7. stinkyB

Yankee Capts?

we use 16oz of lead regularly here.... in half that depth...... how far out you going? if its a headboat I'm guessin they wont let you free-line a live bait out the back, but it would be a fun shit-show if you caught a tuna

8. Cman68

Yep.. Yankee Capts.. Good price too. I was pleasantly surprised. Last time they gave us huge globs of clam. A guy in the bow was slaying Pollock with jigs. That's why I'm bringing SPJ to Gloucester. I figure on using 250g flat falls if the current isn't running high. If so, I'll use stickbaits at the same weight or even 300g. If all else fails, I'll have my bait rod to fall back on for meat. We fished Jeffrey's Ledge last time and it was between 90-120 mins there one way.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. stinkyB

I did the logo and shirt designs for them a long time ago.... not sure if they still use 'em

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

My bad. It's Yankee Fleet. Not Yankee Capts. Yankee Capts is the charter out of Key West that does the Pulley Ridge multiday deep drop trips.. They are on my bucket list for perhaps '22.

https://www.yankeefleet.com/

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

do u have any flags on the boat......:p

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i expect to see u on the new season of wicked tuna. no excuses.

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  13. stinkyB

[​IMG]

jilozzo likes this.
  14. stinkyB

pretty sure Yankee Capts ran boats from Glouschter and KW... unless they're full time in the Keys now

15. Cman68

Where Im going is about a mile from where wicked tuna is based. Will tour the place while we're there.

jilozzo likes this.
  16. stinkyB

True story, I met 2 of those dudes at a concert in Jacksonville..... the fat guy with the dreads and his buddy. We shot the shit tailgating in the parking lot..... offered them beers but he wanted some chiba... which I didnt have. lol

Cman68 likes this.
  17. stinkyB

Had rods rigged and ready, trailer hooked up with intentions of heading out 10-15 miles today (some sailfish caught 10 out a few days ago)
    Woke up at 5 to see forecast changed.... and nearshore buoy was 2'... @ 3 secs :confused:
    mission aborted :(

18. Cman68

Actually got to fish NY waters for the first time since the early 80's yesterday. Great boat and crew. Lots of fish getting caught in 50-60ft. I had to dig thru my gear to find something light enough to fish that shallow. I found some older stuff I hadn't used since my days working at BPS. Fishing light tackle was actually fun. Fish were hitting clams and shrimp. Caught my limit of Sea Bass and Fluke. Even hit a few big Porgys too. What surprised me the most was all the empty slips at the docks on Sheepshead Bay. Covid-19 restrictions devastated the fleet as only 4 boats are still operational. Sad indeed.

Got a great pic of NYC from south of Rockaway ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fluke on top of a big Porgy. Sea Bass and Mackeral underneath and more Porgy on the bottom. Great day and a wonderful stroll down memory lane. Got to see Coney Is, Rees and Jones beaches, Breezy Point where I fished when I was younger. Man, it was just great!!

#1618 Cman68, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    stinkyB and bicketybam like this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Did you catch any Coney Island Whitefish?

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Cman68

Thought you could only buy those at Nathan's... :)

bicketybam likes this.