Marcus Maye negotiations have "gone south"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree, in a way. I mean its really year 1.5 in our rebuild. Ideally you go into year 2 of a rebuild with at least a core of talented young players to continue building around. I cant really say we ended last season with that so IMO were closer to year 1 than year 2 of a rebuild. Next year we hope to have that core filled out a little more. Technically JD traded Adams, Williams, and Darnold - all former high picks. In that situation the rebuild doesn't start until you use the picks you got for them.

But its kind of an in between situation since we had a few core pieces like Q and Becton at the end of the year.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Oof. I forgot about Big Cat.

My point was that we are closer to year 2 or 3 in the rebuild. If year 1 is demolition and acquiring picks, that’s been done.

I also advocated for trading back but the fact is I’m not a talent evaluator. If JD and his team felt like Zach has the potential to be great, I won’t second guess his decision.

It seems like JD has been following the blueprint but didn’t want step 3 until Gase was gone.

Step 1: Demolition (Big Cat, Adams, Darnold)
    Step 2: Lay foundation (We had some good foundational pieces already Mosley, Q, add Becton)
    Step 3: Build with quality (2 Edge, 2 WR, 2RB, 2 OL, 1 QB)
    Step 4: Finishing touches - we’ll reevaluate after this year.

ouchy and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes we blew chunks last year, but that was last year, as in past tense. It's not this year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wow, a man advocating a camp battle between Drew Lock and Sam Darnold was the way to go.

Looks at date, nope April fools has long gone.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To begin with, Denver may not have been willing to give up two future #1 picks to move up. Second of all, that would have been a horrible trade for us. We already knew that Sam sucked balls as a QB. Drew Lock is only marginally better. We still wouldn't have a QB, which is the most important position.

Also, you can't say that we would have still gotten AVT at #9 and everything else we got. One pick, can cause other picks to change. If we had traded down to #9, there's no telling what might have happened in the draft after that.

That would have been an awful move.

6. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as more likely be traded or that over FT. More of the latter than the former

7. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

i think we should keep maye really solid player and from what i read a very good man in the locker room but not at over pay money for me 4 years at 35 to 40 million would not be over paying for a player of his skill set and it would show other draft picks that we take care of are own. IMO

BacktoQueens and ouchy like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think we should probably let him go if he values himself too high he wont be here when the Jets are serious contenders he’ll be close to 30 we don’t need 10’s of millions sunk into an old safety he may be a good guy but JD has brought in a lot of good guys/captains so the team should be ok.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree, we are in year 3 of the process.

Personally I’m not a fan of the demolition stage. I feel most GMs do this to buy themselves more time, which as a fan I’m not down with. It also wasted whatever potential Darnold had. Building around whatever talent is there is preferable imo.

Also a huge part of year 3 (at least in our example) is getting the right coaching staff in place. Supporting Gase destroyed this team, but I will give Douglas a lot of credit on bringing in what I believe is the right CS now.

next year will be Year 4 of the process though. Have to start producing at some point. This year will be a growing year, next year has to be the real deal.

10. KingRoach

I say produce this year. I’m not a fan of “we still suck this year”.

11. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Because he is wrong side of 28 that's when a player starts to decline you dont win championship with aging players who want 17 million a year there is a reason Douglas drafted all those safeties. Finally GM who is running this the right way old Jets would have caved gave this guy 70 million just like Revis and get burned. If they can move him for a first or second round pick do it.

12. BacktoQueens

Where are you pulling 17M from?
    The Franchise tag number is only around 10.5M.

The Jets are reportedly offering only 8M per year, way less than the tag, and thus less than market value.
    That's not a good example of 'finally running this the right way', feels more like misjudging the market a la Robbie Anderson.

They can easily offer him a competitive deal that the team can walk away from in 2-3 years, right when Maye gets north of 30.
    That would be running things the right way imo.

And who are all these Safeties we've drafted that are sliding in to fill both Adams and Maye?
    Davis?

ouchy likes this.
  13. KingRoach

We don’t know what the offer was as agents love to spin.

-The franchise this year is 10.5.
    -If we tag him next year he’d be at least 13mm.
    -If we tag him a third year he’d be at 19mm.
    ——3 years at about $43mm.
    —20% less is about 3 years at $35mm.

That could have been JDs offer and what the agent said could still be technically true.

14. BacktoQueens

Very true, agents do love to spin things to media, so who knows what the Jets really offered.

3 years at 35M, with a lot of guarantees is not a terrible offer, tho Maye would probably choose to bet on himself in that scenario.
    Especially considering Justin Simmons just got over 15M per year, and Budda Baker and Eddie Jackson got similar deals last year.
    Once Adams gets his deal, the franchise tag numbers on Safeties is going up.
    Lots of Safeties getting paid.

Even if Maye is a tier under those guys, 12M per might be the water mark.

KingRoach likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

On a side note, I'm really looking forward to seeing Maye play SS in this D.

While he was very effective playing the deep field, he's a very physical player, and putting him in this role will allow him to create a lot more big plays.
    Will probably end up increasing his market value as well.

16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think this year was extremely important to have him.

Next year, hopefully not as much. Our young safeties will show us who they are as players and Jets can figure out how they want to address starting safety from either within or FA. Could still be Maye.

For the record, I think Maye is a very good player.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  17. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

on THIS point, you are actually correct. well-done @JackBower

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't gonna sign him. Draft picks here never get a second contract. Maye will be just another guy to leave

Honestly if the Jets are 2-6 or something at the trade deadline and Maye is healthy and playing well they should just trade him. Because they aren't gonna sign him and at least we'd get something for him

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They don't when you have a revolving door at GM, GMs constantly getting rid of the last guy's players. I think that trend probably ends after Maye (assuming that happens) unless Joe totally flops and we get another GM.

#99 abyzmul, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree that I think Maye is a goner. The going rate to sign him long term will likely be in excess of 12 million per year.

Looking at average per year contracts. We can see Simmons over 15 mill. Baker, Matheau and 3 other safeties over 14 million per year. Likely that is too high for Maye. But John Johnson's 11.2 million per year is likely too low. With an increased salary cap next year and teams with more salary cap room it would not be surprising to see Maye get a 13 to 15 million average per year deal. Our best bet is probably to trade him before the deadline although it would not be a shock to see us franchise him again at 13 million for the purpose of trading him. But, in that scenario Maye might be a lot more resistant to signing his tag right away until he gets a sign and trade deal to his liking.

#100 Noam, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.