The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know that he had to pitch a long-term plan to Christopher Johnson, at least in terms of specifics. It may have been only something like: "This team doesn't have a lot of talent, especially on offense, and the offense will have to be almost totally overhauled. I plan on building primarily through the draft as that's the only sustainable way to have a winning team. That will take some time (2-3 offseasons). It won't be an overnight fix."

Since the org chart was totally different and the HC and GM were peers that reported to the Johnsons, I'm certain that wasn't part of the play initially that he relayed to the Johnsons, unless a condition of his taking the job was that if/when Gase failed, he (JD) would be allowed to drive the search for the new HC. I think that JD probably had to do a lot of education with Christopher Johnson as to the changes he was going to make with what the scouts looked for, the types of players he wanted to add to the team, the culture change, and the rest was just proving his ability to handle the draft, FA, and trades.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think for our situation his plan was I need a year to evaluate and decide where we are at. which is what he did. after that year he replaced the coaching staff and QB the 2 biggest things you need to build a team around. He also started from day 1 on the o-line knowing how important it is and went heavy on d-line. He focused on QB and trenches and coaching. then made sure to surround the QB with some playmakers so they can succeed. next will be building up the back 7 of the defense

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's on me. Like if @Cman65 made a thread with that title, you may be able to enjoy it and believe it more. :D

abyzmul and Cman68 like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hey.. everybody likes good fiction stories.. :)

abyzmul and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We discus fictional stories in the politics threads.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

It looks like the idea of Mekhai Becton having continual problems due to his weight may have been overblown.

7. NCJetsfan

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/07/06/ny-jets-podcast-young-player-best-chance-break-out-2021/

Which young NY Jets player has the best chance to break out in 2021?
    By
    Michael Nania
    -
    07/06/2021

The NY Jets roster is loaded with youth. Which young prospect has the best chance to take a sizable leap in 2021?

With 19 players on the roster who were drafted by general manager Joe Douglas over the past two seasons, the New York Jets are absolutely loaded with young talent.

In 2020, Douglas drafted nine players and also signed four undrafted free agents who made the roster, each of whom remains on the team as of July 6, 2021. That gives the Jets a whopping total of 13 potential second-year breakout candidates.

Plus, the Jets have a bevy of other young players from previous drafts who could still have untapped potential, including Chris Herndon, Blake Cashman, and Blessuan Austin.

Who are the best candidates to break out in 2020?

Here are some of the prime names to keep an eye on.

CB Bryce Hall
    Bryce Hall‘s rookie season has him entering the future with plenty of promise. When matched up against wide receivers, Hall allowed only 7.2 yards per target on throws in his direction, well below the combined career average of his matchups (8.1).

Hall’s coverage against tight ends can improve (Las Vegas’ Darren Waller torched him for 65 yards on five targets), and it’s too early to crown him after only seven NFL starts.

However, Hall’s rookie season was still highly impressive overall. Hall was a slightly above-average cornerback in his rookie season, which is an incredible jumping-off point for a rookie (especially one who did not get to practice until October). His Pro Football Focus coverage grade of 62.9 ranked fourth-best among rookies and placed at the 56th percentile among cornerbacks to play at least 200 defensive snaps.

WR Denzel Mims

Denzel Mims started off his rookie season with some excellent consistency. He posted at least 40 receiving yards in each of his first six career games, becoming just the sixth wide receiver in NFL history to accomplish that feat. The others: Andre Johnson, Amari Cooper, Stefon Diggs, Michael Thomas, and CeeDee Lamb.

Mims closed out the season on a cold streak, posting just 33 yards over his final three games after missing the Jets’ Week 14 game against the Seahawks due to a personal matter. He was targeted only eight times over that span, which was partially due to reasons out of his control, but also a signal that he needs to improve his route-running to completely fulfill his potential.

When you analyze the distribution of Mims’ routes in 2020, it is revealed that he actually may be a better fit in Mike LaFleur‘s offense than given credit for. He averaged a very solid 7.6 yards after the catch per reception on drag and slant routes. That YAC ability on over-the-middle routes should bode well in the Jets’ new scheme.

S Ashtyn Davis

Ashtyn Davis will likely begin the season as a situational player while Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Maye handle the starting safety spots, but that does not mean Davis will be unable to make an impact.

With a lack of experience on the roster at linebacker and cornerback, the Jets could compensate by running a high number of three-safety sets that feature Davis on the field with the two starters.

In his rookie season, Davis was at his best when roaming around near the line of scrimmage. While he struggled with his instincts and decision-making in deep coverage, his athleticism and tenacity stood out in the box, where he could think less and play more instinctively.

If the Jets build his assignments around the strengths and weaknesses he showed as a rookie, Davis will likely be playing a role that sets him up with a lot of opportunities to make splashy plays. He will frequently be seen blitzing, manning up against tight ends, and sticking his nose in the thick of the action against the run. The chance for a breakout season will be there.

BudJet and Noam like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Holy shit! It took D'Brick 3 years to fill out half as much as Becton is starting with.

BudJet and Jets81 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it. How could any logical person feel otherwise?

Ralebird, The Dark Knight and Noam like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Jets' off-season looks great on paper, but now they have to show how good it was on the actual football field. After watching the last decade of Jets football, I have no problem with a fan taking a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach. Fans should be optimistic in knowing that the team will be much improved from 2020 at the very least.

REVISion, cval and Noam like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

It's easy, or at least it was for me. One just has to have a more optimistic view of life and a less pessmistic view. That said,I can understand your or anyone's having a more pessimistic view as concerns the Jets. They've certainly given us every reason to doubt them.

Until Douglas was hired, I was ready to walk away forever from the Jets. That changed everything for me, and it's just continued to get better and better since.

patleahy and Noam like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

That's one powerful looking dude:eek:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Do you think the Jets should have any interest in Matthews?

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yes I’m sure they will because Herndon has been so erratic. But also Matthews spent the last two seasons with the Niners so Saleh and LaFleur more then know about Matthews. And he’s been working with Kittle in the off-season this past offseason. Of course the question is if he can be an adequate blocker.

17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

The smart fans knew that was complete bullshit.

18. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I didn't know that he had been with SF, but I just looked him up, and he must have been injured or not very good, because he only appeared in 3 games and had zero receptions. He has been a bit of a disappointment as a receiver in the NFL. He was pretty good with the Eagles for 3 years, then what happened? I see his 4th year in the NFL he was with the Bills. Was he traded or was he released and then signed with the Bills as a FA? Did he get injured or did something else happen? He then went back to the Eagles for 2 mediocre years. Then the last two years with SF and literally nothing. I really liked him coming out of college, but I don't know that he can offer much to us at all. Herndon erratic is better than Matthews has been the last 5 seasons. The only TE presently on our roster that I'd take Matthews over is Brown, and I'm not even sure about that since Brown is pretty good on STs.

#478 NCJetsfan, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    patleahy likes this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If you haven't yet seen that the team is headed in the rite direction, I don't know what your looking at. New GM, New CS, Great draft, nice FA signings. These are all signs that the team is headed in the rite direction. I am a logical person & I see a team definitely on the rise.

Sack exchange, NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  20. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

well-said as usual, @BudJet well-said. ;):)

Sack exchange, BudJet and NCJetsfan like this.