Marcus Maye negotiations have "gone south"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Goodbye Kaiir Elam draft fantasies, hello Kyle Hamilton.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We can’t extend Q this year as it hasn’t been 3 contract years yet.

HomeoftheJets, Noam, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thanks for ruining my entire rant about locking players up early.

Pepsiguy5, patleahy and KingRoach like this.
  5. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol you have a good sense of humour, @Jonathan_Vilma , I'll give you that, dude. ;):)

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Let me dream about getting him or Stingley, zone scheme be damned.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If he signed the offer he would be getting a 3-year deal at 20% less than the tag, which I thought was 11.5m, of course, all that is according to that tweet, a tweet lol.

Still, let's keep it simple and say 10m, half guaranteed about right?

rookie contract 6.5m +11m for the tag season (or 30m for a three year deal) = 37m in the bank for a 9 season career, I wish I was being shit on as much at my work.

I like Maye, my posts have indicated as such but he isn't getting top 5 safety money after only one top 5 season.

Wage cap system = spreadsheet, it is a tough life.

As for the locker room, it may (excuse the pun) have escaped your attention but the locker room is nearly all filled up with people JD brought into the team and also understand that a wage cap system = a spreadsheet, to keep the squad in bounds, the very reason we could draft 9 OL like you wanted, or we would be bankrupt after all those rookie deals expire.

For you, it is just another reason to get your black brush out and paint another dismal theme in Jet land.

ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Good catch, and it kills my wishful thinking.

patleahy likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did I really suggest we should draft 9 linemen? Or did I actually say we should have drafted more then 1, and ideally 3, which would have given us 4 years of solid young talent to build the line? Instead we signed 4 free agents, which to you is somehow a better investment then rookies. You act like having a lot of talented rookies is a problem and not an advantage.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hook and bait set, landed with ease.

I am very happy with the way things are going atm, it is nice to have a quality guy at the helm.

As for signing 3 OL, if they all hit it out of the park and add Becton to the list, in 3 seasons time you will be wanting them signed to long term deals.

Please enlighten us on how you manage to pay 4 top class, all pro OL and remain competitive all over the rest of the field?

Fuck it, add Wilson to the list as well and Q in the next season or so.

Better learn how to use a spreadsheet matey and get your application in as soon as JD gets the sack, you make it sound so easy, it should be an absolute breeze for you to bamboozle the powder brothers into giving you the role, hell, even Gase talked his way in.

Noam likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This is a similar situation as Muhammed Wilkerson--we could have franchised him for 2 years and made sure he brought his A game during that time. Instead we gave him a big long term contract and his play fell off a cliff. If you want to say his broken leg caused his crappy play you're guessing. The things that actually occurred was long-term lucrative contract followed by poor play.

In these situations its best for the FO to slow play it and its best for the player to buy insurance against substantial injury.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Maye is making me sour on him trying to have his agent negotiate through Ian Rapoport. The time of players using the Jets is over. Joe Douglas can't be happy with that tactic either.

Marcus is a good player but he has only been on terrible Jets teams. The team went (2-14) last year. They franchised him. He should be happy and excited for the direction the Jets are headed. He was injury prone in the past. He should jump on whatever deal the Jets are offering him. I side with the Jets on this negotiation, although I would be happy if they can come to a multi-year agreement. Maybe 2 or 3 years.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maye and his contract (2nd) is a different animal. First, May got drafted out of college at 24, which is older than most. He knew coming in that his chances of getting a big 2nd contract at 28yrs old was not great, especially with his team able to tag him until he's 30.

This point in time is Maye's only realistic opportunity to get paid in the NFL. He's gotten paid $7m for his first 4 yrs. His two tagged years will pay him $10m+$12m, giving him $29m for his career. Yes, he can still get a vet min (or slightly higher) playing into his 30's, but right now is when he's desperate to get a 2nd contract that pays him really good, with some guaranteed $. But it's not looking good for him.

The 2 years on the tag ($22m total) may be the best chance he gets. Douglas offered him $8m per yr, which is even less than the tag.

His best hope is to play out 2021 on the tag ($10m) then hopefully JD offers him a new contract next year, or JD tags and trades him to another team that will pay him.

This is a tough one for Maye. He's a top player at his position but his age coming in is really killing him. If he was 25, he'd have gotten his big 2nd contract with a shot at a 3rd when he's 29.

I kinda feel bad for him.

Borat likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Contracts cannot be rewards for what a player has done in the past. Maye has already been paid for what he has done in the past. His next contract has to be about what the Jets expect to get from him in the future, and how that fits into their overall plan. If there was no salary cap you could have all sorts of golden handshake deals to reward players who have served the franchise well, but when every dollar for one player is a dollar less for another, very hard decisions have to be made.

A team can only carry so many contracts over the $10m per year mark. Choosing who to pay is a huge part of the job of building a successful team. I just don't see Maye as that sort of player, although I do like him.

15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

• Can we tag him again nest year? And what’s the play here? Tag and then deal
    • Him and crowder at the deadline?

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agree.

As for it sending a message than we do not take care of our guys:

1. He’s not a Douglas guy
    2. He’s only been tag worthy because the rest of the team has been devoid of talent.
    3. You spend money to “send a good message” then you don’t have money to sign players who are more deserving.

Once this team turns it around it’ll become easier to resign players (to reasonable contracts), and I believe we’ll see it more than we have in recent history.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There is no loyalty in the NFL. It is not part of the basic competitive structure of the league.

Loyalty is something that the media and fans talk about but it is a red herring in the overall conversation.

The most disloyal organization in the NFL is the New England Patriots to the tune of 7 Lombardi Trophies over the last two decades.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it would be nice to sign someone to a second contract.

FJF likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This isn't the same situation. When you win the SB its because you have a ton of talent and everyone wants to get paid like a champion. Obviously the rooster has to make some hard cuts compared to being the 2nd worst team in the league. We don't have anything resembling the challenges the Patriots had. Were in the opposite position trying to build a winning team.

I'm not talking loyalty like, "he's a swell guy so lets pay him". I mean we have a team captain/MVP who has improved every season to become a top 10 safety on a bottom of the barrel team. He is a core player on this roster and a leader going forward by proving his metal during the worst times. That's when you find out a players real character. If your not loyal to core players its asking for trouble. We don't know what Maye is asking but clearly he is worth considerably more then the 8 million we are said to have offered. I'm not suggesting we reward Maye with a bloated contract, but that we make him a fair offer to secure him and set him up to continue being a leader going forward. 8 million is straight up being a cheap skate with your core.

Or maybe JD doesn't want anyone he didn't bring in on his core.

A lack of loyalty to core players has been part of our problem over the last decade and you not going to build a winning team by disrespecting them. The truth is JD has been happy to dump all of the rookie contracts that he didn't bring in rather then pay them, ala Adams, Anderson, Williams, Darnold, and next season probably Maye. That's not "creating a winning environment". I'm not saying Adams handled his situation in the best way, or that he should be paid Ramsey numbers, but I'm starting to understand why he was so frustrated. Especially with JD going into last season with 11 million unspent.

#59 ouchy, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Bellys Lies, Jets81 and patleahy like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This really sums it up nicely. MPV, captain, etc, these are all nice, but at the end of the day are talking points worth very little. With salary cap structure, it's how much are you worth to this team from this point forward. Another factor aside from age and non premium position for a large contract already mentioned is where the Jets are right now, which is still in rebuilding mode and not a team that is currently contending with all premium positions core in place.

With all of that (age, non premium position, current rebuilding state), JD is just not in position to hand off a large long term deal to Marcus. So, I can see JD offering something like 3 year 24-25 mil, but not much more than that. The tag rules also allow to keep Marcus for this year at 10, then next year at 12 if he plays well this year. After that he will be 30 and will be worth substantially less.