Marcus Maye negotiations have "gone south"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Completely indifferent about this. It’d be nice to have him but it doesn’t make or break anything. If he wants way more than he’s worth he can get it elsewhere.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

My thoughts exactly. Well said. To be honest, Joe should let him walk if he doesn’t sign our offer. No reason to pay him the salary the tag will require.

Imagesrdecieving and Jets81 like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m guessing Douglas thinks Maye isn’t going to shine as bright in the saleh D as he did in the Williams single high safety look. Scheme changes value. If they want to make a deal they’ll find common ground here.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I get the fiscal responsibility and the age…he is a year or two older than the typical player coming up on his second contract. I also think he is a very good, if maybe not great, safety.

but I cringe at this inability to sign our own players….despite the fact that I think JD does have a plan and overall value scheme unlike Idzik or Mac before him….the end result is still that YET AGAIN….we are not rewarding our better players that we drafted. The end result, regardless of the reasoning behind it, is still exactly SOJ.

At some point, you have to break that cycle to change the culture. You have to show players that yes, this IS a place you want to come play, that yes, this IS a place you’d be happy to get drafted into.

but yet no, we are yet again not rewarding our best player.

clearly we have no idea why a deal isn’t getting done…is JD hard balling too low? Is Maye asking for crazy money? Who really knows outside of Maye, his agent, and JD?

but I hate the optics….this is very much saying SOJ…if I were a player I’d be looking at this and saying yup…yet again, they don’t take care of their own…

I agree it’s not going to make or break our season, but man, I just think at some point you need to put your money where you’re mouth is if you say we want to build through the draft and develop…Maye is a very good player and a team leader…if you’re going to overpay a bit to change culture, he’d be a great player to do that with….

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

By the end of next season he will have earned $17m he has been offered a deal of around $10m so a further $20m in the bank.

So let's say $37m for 7 years work, man, how will he cope in the future with the way we have treated him.

Fucking shocking by JD, I'd write in and demand he is sacked for it.

:rolleyes:

#25 K'OB, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think we're spoiled. To say Maye is 'meh' and not deserving a nice contract is being short sided. Maye is a top nfl safety on the level of Jamal (even better than Jamal in pass coverage). Safety is not a plug and play position. Very few are great at it, and Maye is one of them. Remember that scrub safety we got in the Jamal trade? Wow...really good safety! (not). And how quick did Ashton Davis pick up the task of Safety??? See what I mean.

I think JD really values Maye, or he'd never have tagged him an $10M+. JD could have let Maye explore the market then come back here for a low-ball contract. But JD knows Maye is a top player and would get a very good offer somewhere else, so he tagged him.

JD is just being JD in trying to get Maye as cheap as possible. Plus he can tag Maye next year too, which would pretty much kill Maye's chances of a new long term deal.

JD holds the cards, but he wants Maye back.

Bellys Lies, ouchy and Noam like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said. I am not particularly excited about paying a safety big money. More I am concerned with what you said about rewarding a hard working, good and well respected drafted player. It would be nice to show that we will reward players that play hard and well.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maye feels like a player who should stay long term but Douglas is in full-on bargain rebuild mode so who knows. Maybe they'll come to terms in the latter part of the season if he plays, stays healthy and continues to play at a high level.

He has proven his versatility and ability but the longevity of safeties has always been a weird one for me. Some of the best play up to their 40s but not a lot play at a high level long after 30, they taper off fast. I think it's kind of a similar situation to RB longevity. RBs have a short shelf life because of the punishment they take, safeties have a similar shelf life because they are the ones dealing that punishment and it takes a toll.

I like Maye because he put his head down and buckled his chin strap and went to work in the face of adversity, that is the blue collar work ethic I always identified with the Jets. But Joe is thinking 4 years down the road and maybe Maye isn't part of their plans.

9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

^^^all valid points, Byz. ;)

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Just some speculation here. But, looking at signings in this cap strapped year salaries seem to be depressed because of the low salary cap figure. With normal revenues this year and an expected jump in salary cap Maye and other players might be in line for a bump in AYP next spring. This sppears to be a good year and time for a team to be doing extensions.

patleahy likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I can't say I am surprised. I think I can see JD's philosophy ever since he came here was to build through the draft where you can get really great value for money and supplement it with short contracts and team friendly deals. Rare exceptions are difference makers at premium positions. Maye doesn't fall into this category, and JD is sticking to his guns. What's more, Maye is under contract this year, and we can tag him again next year as there isn't anyone premier that's coming due for a potential tag next year.

JD is just following his game plan without deviating from it, it's as simple as that. We just need to see where this plan leads the Jets in the next couple of years. Yes, Maye may have been able to capitalize on a great season he had a bit more if he were on a contender like Bucks, playing a key role, but unfortunately Jets are in a different situation. We won two games last year starting the rebuild, we are still very much in the midst of rebuild, and it's just not the time yet to deviate from the plan.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'll preface this by saying this whole conversation is based on a tweet, so who knows the truth.

However, the tweet states we offered him 20% less then the franchise tag (10 million). So we offered him 8 million a year. I've not seen anyone suggest he wants 15 million a year. All we know is he wants more then 8 million a year - and he has earned that right. He is in a dangerous place with no long term security and an injury can ruin him, even if it doesn't end his career. I'm pretty sure he would seriously consider the offer I suggested, if JD would pony it up.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to see you resorting to SOJ and the same irrational thought as others! You're comparing apples with oranges with grapes. We have had different owners, GMs, Presidents, HCs, scheme changes etc. that affect all of this. If it was the same owner, same GM, same team President, and same HCs with the same schemes, then you'd have a point. The "Jets" are not something that is static. Sadly, the results have often been the same, but not the people making the decisions, and not the circumstances/situations.

IMO the problem for the Jets has been more that our GMs sucked rarely drafted anyone any good that was worth signing to a second contract and we, the fanbase, have overreacted because we didn't want to lose one of the few good players we had. Other than Adams, who wanted waaaaaaaaaay too much money, who hasn't he re-signed? We know what happened with Adams. There's no way JD could have or should have re-signed him after the way he acted.

Patience, mon amis! JD has only been GM for 2-3 years. I'm certain that when players he has drafted, that fit the new scheme, and have played well are due for a second contract, that he will re-sign them. The scheme changes everything. It would not be prudent to re-sign older players to big contracts who play lower priority positions in the new scheme. Also, he owes no allegiance to players drafted by Mac, especially when they haven't been great, yet are rumored to want "great" money. It really isn't even much of a rumor. Doesn't the tag take the average of the contracts of the top 3 players at that position? If so, do you think Maye is worth that kind of money? Do you see him as a top 3 S in the league? I don't.

I agree that the optics aren't good, and I hope that we can sign Maye to a reasonable two-year deal, but that may not happen. How will you feel if Douglas does turn out to handle things the same way as the Pats and Steelers have, i.e., letting many players walk following their first contract? Will you want him fired even if he has built the Jets into a great team and a true contender? There is absolutely little or no loyalty shown to players there, yet players still keep signing with them. The big difference is that those are respected, winning franchises. Some players will accept less to play for a winner and have a chance to go to a SB. Losing teams have to pay more, and have to overpay for even the good players they draft. Overpaying those good players won't help them become a winning team, but instead will do the opposite. I wish the NFL wasn't such a business and there was more loyalty, but there isn't. We either have to accept that or be miserable. I've had to come to terms with this over the last few days or week regarding Maye. I like him and would like to keep him, but by the time this team is a true contender, he will no longer be here anyway due to his age. His solid play could help the team possibly win another game this season, but in the long run, that will make no difference.

If Moore, Mims, Becton, AVT, Wilson, Davis, and other players he has drafted or signed play at a high level and don't seek to break the bank, do you really think that JD won't re-sign them?

IMO Maye is not our best player. IMO that would be Q. Williams or CJ Mosely (if he returns to previous form), and soon may be one of Becton, AVT, Zach Wilson or Elijah Moore.

14. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

And Adams still hasn't signed a new contract for his new team!

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I actually wasn't going off the tweet. I'm just going off of what the top ten safety salaries are and where I envision he believes he falls/how much the Jets are probably willing to give him.

I'm no cap guy but it looks like we have $25 million in space according to OTC and I believe that factors in his ten million. Douglas should front load his account big time and take much of the hit this year while giving the four year deal worth a lot of loot but spread the next three years out so it doesn't really matter.

Or punt on Maye and extend Williams early. The Jets whole strategy (not just JD but over the past decade+ including Revis) of waiting until the fifth year option coming up to create a pissing match between player and organization and an off-season distraction.

Pay Williams now, get him paid while he's still producing in a side way in the middle of his peak and move on thereafter. Rather than wait until the players are 27 and then fight them in the off-season and have to pay them a lot out of their prime. The Ravens and Steelers do this all the time.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So we have automatically used the FT on him next season? If he gets hurt will we use the FT on him?

Its funny how we forgive a GM for being a business man but not the player. Maye performed on his rookie contract and deserves a real contract just like every other competent player who survives their rookie deal. Don't act like potentially costing him this chance makes us the good guy.

It should also be noted that Maye was voted team MVP last season. So our MVP and a guy who has been our receiving leader both get hard balled in the offseason. In the meantime we are throwing large contracts at Davis who under performed his rookie contract and Lawson who has been average since his rookie season. If you think this will go unnoticed your mistaken. Maybe everything JD does is amazing to TGG. But he wont be so amazing for much of the locker room because the locker room isn't a spreadsheet. This is not how you create a winning environment. You don't set an example by hard lining the leaders and MVPs who don't deserve it in favor of expensive projects.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Pay Williams and Maye right now. We can easily afford it and its the front and back of our defense.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wait until next year to pay Q. He's coming off foot surgery and transitioning into a new defense.

It wasn't so long ago that Maccagnan locked up another Q coming off an injury and the Jets never got that money back.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And if he excels in the new defense with a double digit sack year (which he realistically should as long as he's healthy) you're paying double what you were going to pay.

Agreed.

ouchy likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We'd probably get Q a lot cheaper if we pay this season. Especially if he has the monster year I expect him to have. If Q is so important and our "best player" then commit to it while he is still a good deal and set an example that we commit to our talent.

Bellys Lies and CotcheryFan like this.