Training Camp Battles | Moore vs. Crowder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jul 9, 2021.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

When the Jets drafted Elijah Moore in the 2nd round, there were a lot of rumblings that the Jets might look to cut/trade Jamison Crowder. Neither of those things took place and I am so excited that the Jets have legit competition in the WR group! In my opinion, I think that BOTH of these players will get a lot of playing time early in the season and Moore will eventually overtake Crowder as the primary WR3 in this offense.

Will rookie WR Elijah Moore get more opportunities than Jamison Crowder? Will Jamison Crowder win the job? Will Jamison Crowder still play a prominent role even if he doesn't win? What are some other Training Camp Battles you are looking forward to watching?

Go Jets!

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind is in Lafluer's system WRs are pretty interchangeable. Moore, Crowder and Cole could all be on the field at the same time. The second thing to consider is Moore’s versatility. He will likely get a lot of use in the Jet sweep as our Deebo Samuel, either running the ball or as a threat to run the ball. I might be wrong but I think Moore projects as the best Jet WR that is able to run the ball. That should give him even more playing time. Third with the Jets strength at WR as well as all WRs being considered good blockers and our perceived weakness at TE I wonder if we will see more WRs on the field at the expense of our TEs.

#2 Noam, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Moore can also play outside. I’ve said earlier, the best 3wr combo maybe Moore and Davis outside and crowder in the slot.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Moore will be the most explosive playmaker on this team imo.
    Crowder is the most reliable chain mover (which Wilson will love).
    Davis is best blocker and red zone target.

Those are our top WR's.
    Rank them however you want.
    I expect all 3 to be on field together, with Moore playing the "Z" or flanker spot outside, and moved all around.

When we go 21 or 12 personnel (something Gase never did), Crowder will probably come off field.

5. BacktoQueens

No maybe about it, that's the best combo provided Moore picks up this O quickly.

REVISion and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m hedging hoping mims breaks out.
    There is a ton of potential at wide out this year.
    If Davis,MIms, and Moore play to their draft status this team will be very fun to watch

#6 FJF, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Brook!, jetstopgun, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

WR has been vastly improved over last year, I agree the potential is exciting and will actually be a benefit to the QB for a change.

I don't put much into draft status though, that all goes out the window once the draft is over.
    Mims will have a role on this team no doubt, but I think as of now there are 4 better options to see the field.
    Davis even though he may not have lived up to his selection in Tenn, will be a very good fit here.
    Crowder and Cole are solid underrated players, who have always been stuck on bad teams.
    And Moore so far looks better than any of them, can't wait to see him in preseason.

That's collectively as good a WR group than we've had since Cotchery, Edwards and Holmes.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and FJF like this.
  8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Hopefully Mims does pan out. Him and Davis are both plus blockers in the run game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever and PennyandtheJets like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I really don’t see Moore versus Crowder as a battle but rather as a two edge sword that will give defenses fits. Each brings a different but much needed strength to our team. I just hope they can all stay heathy.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We're all expecting Zack to have 5-6 seconds per snap to survey the field and make accurate throws to the open WR.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If they're smart they'll limit him to 2 reads then check down or throw it away.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Hopefully all the new talent at WR lights a fire under Mims. Would be nice if he develops into a reliable, if not spectacular 4th option. Once Crowder is gone he can step into the third WR slot.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

Unless he is soft mentally, gets injured, or the CS doesn't give him a chance because they're so infatuated with Cole, I believe that he will break out this season. He never had a chance last season between no spring practices, an incompetent CS, and Sam Darnold. He had some excellent games that showed his promise, but Sam couldn't find him half the time, and Gase never made an attempt to get him more involved.

He has great hands, speed that can take the top off the defense, and is great on 50-50 catches. If he stays healthy and doesn't break out this season, then imo it's on LaFleur and the offensive CS and game plans. They need to ensure that he succeeds. If not, they can go kick rocks. I believe in Mims more than I do them.

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

No "we're" not. I don't think Zach will need that long, nor do I think he will get it. Anyone who does think that is likely to be extremely disappointed.

Noam likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I expect a LOT more than that from Mims. I think he can be every bit as good as Moore. If the CS is half as good as everyone thinks it is, then Mims and Moore should develop into a great 1-2 combination at WR. At that point we won't need Davis or Crowder. Cole would be the #3.

PJ4Ever, J-Raw24 and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think people are really sleeping on Denzel Mims. He has all of the ability in the world. I thought he looked pretty good last year despite injuries and being coached by Adam Gase. WR is a legit competition for the Jets where they have too many good options and nice depth. Definitely a new feeling for the WR room headed into 2021.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think Mims turning out to be as good as Moore would be pretty surprising. Moore is, by all accounts, the most talented WR the Jets have had in quite some time. Granted, he hasn't played a game in the NFL yet, but I've never seen our reporters rave about someone in camp like they did about Moore.

Mims on the other hand was oft-injured and unspectacular when he did play last year. He has all the physical tools but it appears he's nowhere near as skilled or as polished a WR as Moore. Davis is also currently better than Mims. That could change eventually but it seems unlikely in the near future as Davis is still pretty young.

Crowder will probably be gone after this year at which point I expect Mims and Cole to compete for the third WR slot.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

isnt Cole on a one year deal, though? Or is it 2 years?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Mims was not "oft-injured." He hurt/pulled one hamstring early, then that one healed and right before the season started, he pulled the other. Once it healed, he was never injured again. He missed one game late in the season due to personal reasons, then Sam/Gase rarely looked for him again, even though he was getting open. It's hard to look spectacular as a WR when your QB is a freaking dumbass who can't read Ds, is inaccurate, can't see the field and can't see you when you're open. The other thing that makes it crazy is that Mims excels at 50-50 balls. He has great hands and a huge catch radius. Even if he wasn't "open," the chances are that if Sam had thrown it anywhere near him, he would have caught it.

Moore may be more talented, but Mims isn't far behind and Mims has something Moore doesn't have, namely size.

#19 NCJetsfan, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    nycarl, PJ4Ever and Losmeister like this.
  20. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

no way, byz. no way.