Worst Jets draft pick since 2006

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jul 8, 2021.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think it's too early to claim this. He was highly touted by many reputable football experts and has had flashes of greatness. It also remains to be seen how good he can be b/c the organization never put him in position to succeed. On the other hand, nobody in the know thought Hackenberg had much potential and he was a 4h round talent at best. Only the Jets thought otherwise.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed. Before JD, the collective Jet fan base could have run a better draft by poll than the Jets GM. We could vote similar to American Idol.

Jets79, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s hackenberg, the pick itself was bad. Ghosting was a bust but no one was really scratching their heads over the pick. No one expected hack to be picked that high.

All time worst pick is also a 2nd rounder, Mike Nugent. To spend a 2 on a kicker is just poor thinking. Even if he went on to be the greatest kicker ever he wouldn’t have been worth the pick.

#23 FJF, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

PFF is quite often full of shit with their opinions and ratings. I agree. The Jets really didn't give up that much to move up for Sanchez. That was the one great trade that whomever was the GM made. They gave up their 1st and 2nd round picks, Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam and TC All-
    Star Brett Ratliff to move from #17 to #5. So where is all the draft capital they gave up? They basically traded their 1st and 2nd for a 1st.

Hackenberg was not only way overdrafted (or perhaps shouldn't have been drafted at all), but more than likely, Mac then didn't even consider taking one of Mahomes/Watson in the draft the following year. That's a crime.

#24 NCJetsfan, Jul 9, 2021
    Jets79 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

If what you're saying is correct then Mac and the Jets' scouts were even dumber than I thought they were. Darnold was not a great prospect. He didn't even start playing football until high school (like Gholston), and then played LB for the first season or two before switching to QB. He played 1 1/2 seasons of QB in high school with probably little coaching, then 2-3 at USC, and got worse instead of better. His freshman season was actually his best at USC. He had horrible footworkd (and still does), wasn't accurate, and had big problems with both fumbling and throwing interceptions (partly because of his inability to read Ds and partly because of his poor accuracy). He could extend plays, was mobile, had prototypical size, a strong arm, and had talent, but was very raw. It should have been clear to professionals that he needed to sit for at least a year, maybe two, fix his fundamentals, and learn how to play the positions (read Ds, make quick decisions, see the field, etc.). Why anyone would think he was such a great prospect because of one bowl game win is beyond me.

Mayfield was smart, accurate, tough, a leader, and was a far superior prospect. Cleveland was smart. the Jets weren't.

#25 NCJetsfan, Jul 9, 2021
    JohnnyJet1222 and REVISion like this.
  6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

100% on blair thomas. He was looking pretty good until that fumble. He was never the same. Had a couple nice games backing up emmit smith but that's about it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

It has to be Vernon Gholston for me - 1st Round pick and out of the league in 3 years having achieved nothing career wise. We fell for the typical work-out warrior trick.

Hackenberg was bad too, but at least he was only a 2nd Round pick

Jets79 likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's not too early at all. He played 3 seasons with us and was the worst in the league during that time. He's not on the team anymore, what he does from here on out is irrelevant to the Jets. We don't get extra points if he ends up being good elsewhere.

matt robinson 17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Hackenberg was the reason the GM didn't take Mahomes, I think that alone makes him the worst pick. Then throw in never actually playing in an NFL game even though he was on 4 different rosters, yeah at least all of our other turds made it onto the field.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get Gholston being in consideration for the worse pick...but I recall that draft really sucked. NO ONE wanted to trade up to our 6th spot, and there was no body else to draft. We were kind of stuck with Vernon. And he DID look good (on a weight bench!).

11. Footballgod214

Maybe the bowling ball with knives (and bad knees) we traded up to #4 to get? Dewayne Robertson? He was supposed to be Quinnen Williams before there was a Quinnen Williams.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  12. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I always hated that pick omg why you make me relive that

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What criteria are we using for “worst”?

An optimist would say Mac made great picks for the Jets Bc they contributed in his firing and we are much better off Bc of him being fired.

Is a highly touted rookie who didn’t pan out considered a bad pick?

That being said, I’d say Hackenberg.

-He was widely seen as not good
    -We spent a premium pick on him
    -Having him on the roster supposedly kept Mac from looking at the 2 rockstar QBs in the 2017 draft.

In reality, if we’d have drafted Mahomes, he’d have been another bust and not in the GOAT convo. Maybe he’d have found success on his second team but to think the CS and FO in place in 2017 could have developed a QB who had mechanical issues is delusional.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The only reason I don’t believe mac passed on the qbs because of hack is that would infer mac had some kind of plan.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

We all had high hopes that Robertson would be a wrecking ball in the middle of our D. But alas, he was born with bad knees. Bone on Bone. When the Jets called him during the draft and let him know he was about to be drafted, he shoulda said "Thanks, but you should probably use that high pick on someone with two good knees"!

16. NCJetsfan

We'll have to agree to disagree on the bold. That may be your view of reality, but it certainly isn't mine. He may not be as good as he is now if we had drafted him, but imo he would have been light years better than Sam and would have probably enabled Mac to keep his job. Mahomes was a much better QB, a more experienced QB, and a more polished QB than Sam coming out of college.

#36 NCJetsfan, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  17. NCJetsfan

I don't think he had a plan, but I think he loved Hackenberg and thought he would develop, or at least hoped that he would. I don't think Mac had a clue how to evaluate talent. He normally went with the consensus pick in the 1st round, and by the dubious BPA mantra. He never considered scheme fit, work ethic, or other aspects that would lead to a prospect's success.

18. KingRoach

Mahomes was flawed coming out of college and needed to work on his mechanics. QB whisperer Andy Reid and his capable staff helped mold Mahomes into what he is today. Who on the Jets was going to help develop the young QB?

19. NCJetsfan

Yes, he needed work on his mechanics, as do most QBs coming into the NFL. That doesn't mean that he would have been a bust without Andy Reid.. That's ridiculous, and shows that you know little about him.

20. KingRoach

Lol. I mentioned he may have found success after he left the Jets but I have 0 confidence in the 2017 CS to develop a QB.

I’m commenting on the incompetence of the Jets, not the godlike qualities of Mahomes.