Worst Jets draft pick since 2006

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jul 8, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Depressing

Cman68 and patleahy like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sorry to say but it's pretty clearly Darnold. Hard to get much worse than trading up, not getting the guy you originally traded up for (Baker), and then having the guy you did get end up being the worst starter in the league at his position over his first 3 seasons (at the most important position in the sport by far).

It might honestly be the worst draft pick the Jets have ever made, and that's saying something.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd love to go fishing today.

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Has anyone with sources/ ties with the Jets ever claimed this? From what I remember, the news that Baker could seriously go #1 came out the morning of the draft (Sheftner/ESPN maybe?) From all the hype, I never thought we'd get a chance at Darnold.......low and behold, we did and it still ended up a huge disappointment.

jetophile likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Connor Hughes has said he had dinner with Mac and Mac was targeting Baker. The consensus was that the Browns would take Darnold until the day of the draft.

Of course, after ending up with Darnold the Jets did the whole "he was our guy the whole time" routine.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thank God the Browns took Baker. Baker would have been good enough to save Mac's job.

9. NCJetsfan

Saying someone is the worst draft pick ever for the Jets is really saying something. There's Gholston, Dee Milliner, Sanchez, Mike Haight, Roger Vick, Russell Carter, Ron Faurot, Lam Jones, Dave Cadigan, Lee White, Blair Thomas, Browning Nagle, Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Calvin Pryor, and Darron Lee. Hackenberg escapes that list only because he was a 2nd round pick, but when one considers that that pick probably precluded Mac from even thinking of taking Mahomes or Watson, it may have been the worst pick of all time.

To make one really depressed in the following drafts, not only was our 1st round pick a bust, but so was our 2nd round pick:

2016 - Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg
    2014 - Calvin Pryor and Jace Amaro (followed up by Dexter McDougle, Jalen Saunders & Shaquelle Evans)
    2012 - Quinton Coples and Stephen Hill
    2010 - Kyle Wilson and Vlad Ducasse
    1990 - Blair Thomas and Reggie Rembert
    1988 - Dave Cadigan and Terry Williams
    1984 Russell Carter and Ron Faurot (BOTH 1st round picks UGH!!)

1986-1988 were especially brutal with Haight, Vick and Cadigan being our 1st round picks.

How we aren't all legally insane from watching the Jets is beyond me.

#9 NCJetsfan, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    barfolomew, tomdeb, Cman68 and 9 others like this.
  10. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Ik it differs from player to player, but the amount of horrible coaches and joke of staff we have had in the past doesnt help with first or second round bust. If you coaching staff doesnt put you in a position to succeed that plays a major part. Obliviously individuals need to do the legwork and work hard but man I wonder how many of those guys if drafted by other teams and got a better start would be avg or good today

11. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

This was a painful post to read. Good post. Just painful to read.

Cman68, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Perhaps some of them, but some were just horrible picks. I was in graduate school at SMU when Eric Dickerson, Craig James, Michael Carter, Russell Carter et al won the national title, but then got the death penalty. Russell Carter was said to be lazy, and perhaps cared more about drugs or fame than he did football. I think Bud Carson was the Jets' DC at the time, and they had some darned good defensive players at the time in Klecko, Gastineau, Lyons, Clifton, Crable and Mehl. He should have succeeded. He had talent.

Faurot was just a horrible pick, as was Pryor, Amaro, Vick, Hackenberg, Wilson, and Rembert. Haight had back issues, and Blair Thomas had some bad luck. At least D. Lee is still in the NFL, but I think it's as a backup or STer.

#12 NCJetsfan, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Vlad had a decent career with the Vikings.

He may have been drafted too high but he doesn't warrant special attention with all of the bad picks we made.

Blair Thomas looked like he might make it until he fumbled against the Bears on Monday Night Football in his rookie year.

He was never the same after that.

Cman68, PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I included Vlad because he was awful for us. Even with the Vikings, I don't think he was worth a 2nd round pick, and it's not like he went to a big-time football school.

barfolomew, PJ4Ever and James Hasty like this.
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He was on the Vikings one year. Journeyman at best. Sad that he ISNT one of their worst picks lol

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It may well have been a case where the Jets just didn't see any way Darnold would be there, so they were targeting Mayfield because he was their top-rated player likely to be available. So Darnold may have been their favourite, they just didn't think they'd ever get a chance to draft him.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

PFF said Sanchez was the worst because of his ratio of production vs amount of draft capital given to draft him.

I know he was only a 2nd round pick, but to me Hack was a worse pick. How could you draft a kid that high with that much bad tape is beyond me.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

3 wasted #2 picks

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

When I think “first round bust” I think of Vernon Gholston. Then Blair Thomas. Then Kyle Wilson.

Sanchez didn’t pan out but at least he was somewhat competent when he had a supporting cast and he provided some good memories.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We didn’t give up much for Sanchez honestly. I hate when they say we traded a first and a second….we moved up from like 17 overall to 5 overall and gave up a second and three scrubs…an average DL, a average S, and a backup QB who never played.

that was one deal where we did not get raped….

and hard to say Sanchez was the worst pick when he actually had a couple of playoff appearances….yes he was a bad QB and had he been any good we’d likely have a Suoerbowl, but he wasn’t the WORST pick

I agree Hack was worse because that pick led to passing on both Watson and Mahomes. To me that’s way worse.

I’d throw Gholston in there along with all those scrubs like the Faurot’s and Vick’s and so many others. Gholston was to me one of the worst…he produced literally NOTHING.

UGH

looking back through our drafts is a very painful endeavor … no wonder we’ve been such a trash team for so long under multiple GMs…comes from the top

NCJetsfan and dmw like this.