Sports Illustrated article on Expectations for Zach-Year 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Jul 6, 2021.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think he has a better skillset than Darnold, so my guess is he would have done better, but who knows?

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I expect him to not throw a pick-6 on his first NFL pass.

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

damn sorry to hear that @stinkyB in regard to your comment about my original post, the Chargers had a losing record last year (7-9) and Hebert put up BETTER numbers than those.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thanks..... but the Chargers definitely were not as bad as the JETS :confused:

5. patleahy

no problem StinkyB....and with all due respect, Stinky, it all depends upon what you mean by "The Chargers were not as bad as the Jets"....the year before Hebert arrived, the Chargers went 5-11.....and I think that their 2 game improvement can be accredited to his phenomenal play as a rookie QB....yeah 5-11 is still better than the 2-14 the Jets went last year under Gase, but I think we would all agree that the Jets had more talent on their roster than their 2-14 record would indicate, and that a large part of the reason whey they went 2-14 was due to entirely inept coaching. We all know they really won that Raiders game until Greg Williams decided to throw it, and there were several more games they were competitive and where they had a chance to win at the end....so I don't think there is really that much of a difference between the Chargers before Hebert arrived and the Jets now that Zach is here, ESP with all of the improvements that JD has made up and down this roster and in the coaching staff.

#25 patleahy, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? You see no correlation between an injury and stats? Also, get outta here with his "injury history" and trying to make it sound like he's injury-prone. He suffered one injury in college...a broken hand and that was while he was tackling. His other two injuries (torn labrum) happened in high school, and are pretty much irrelevant by now.

Also, is it me, or is it the same people who are always trying to discredit Wilson and piss on other's cornflakes? I wonder what their agenda might be?

Noam likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

His first season was good. He was also a freshman in college, learning a new offense, building chemistry with teammates, etc. You need to stop. In your efforts to cast a shadow on Wilson, you're sounding like you know nothing about football.

#27 NCJetsfan, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  8. NCJetsfan

It is my understanding that rehabbing a tear alone never completely heals the tear and makes it more likely that you will re-injure it. The only way to heal/fix the tear is surgery and then rehab, and it does make it less likely that one will re-tear it. Sorry to hear that you've been dealing with it a long time.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Doesn't take a doctor to look things up on the internet and use common sense, you should try it for once rather than snarky failed attempts at humor.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Literally every year
    2019 Chargers 5-11
    2020 Justin Herbert

2018 Cardinals 3-13
    2019 Kyler Murray

2017 Cleveland Browns
    2018 Baker Mayfield

ZachMFWilson and patleahy like this.
  11. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

If he doesn't open with a pick 6, doesn't get injured and miss significant time and doesn't shit the bed I'll call it a win for the jets.

Noam and cval like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Criticizing the Wilson pick isn't having an agenda any more than praising it is.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I disagree. He's our QB now, and everyone should get on board and support him.

KingRoach and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I like Sam, but man, it would've been absolute Jet perfection if his very first pass and very last pass in a Jets uni were both pick-6's...

NCJetsfan and dmw like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

To me, all that is irrelevant at the moment. The Jets drafted the 2020 Zach Wilson. That is who they expect to see on the field.

Injuries those first couple seasons, and stats that went along with them, all don't mean too much. He is a different player now.

If it was the other way around and Wilson was AMAZING his first couple years and then injured and had worse stats last year, that would be really concerning. Then you would have to hope he returns to form like Hackenberg. Not a wise bet.

That argument about injuries was a reason some fans did not want to draft him and preferred Fields. Wilson is a Jet now though, so I don't see much reason to talk about it anymore.

I don't have statistical expectations for Zach, but I hope he continues to improve game to game, stays healthy, and the Jets are competitive in most games. That would be a good rookie season to me.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Last year the Chargers were miles ahead of the Jets. Don't know how much we closed the gap for this year.

patleahy likes this.
  17. patleahy

If Zach has a rookie year like Hebert did, then whatever gap existed between us and the Chargers will evaporate before our very eyes, @LAJet.

#37 patleahy, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    LAJet and KingRoach like this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You can criticize a player and still root for him to succeed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article Pat. As a long-suffering Jets fan, I'll take all the positive news and articles I can get, even if none of it matters if he doesn't perform when the real games start. But from everything I've seen of him, if he stays healthy he's going to do great for us.

patleahy likes this.
  20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There’s a difference between criticizing his performance and criticizing the possibility of future poor performances Bc of a 3 yo injury.