Gase/Douglas: What really happened?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I can understand people wanting to see results before saying JD is best since Parcells, but people need to realize that we are in full rebuilding mode and it will take a little bit of time. JD is building the right way, through the draft first and foremost, not handing out long contracts, with very few special exceptions. He made some mistakes such as signing Perriman over Anderson, but the very next year he fixed it - just look at the WR room now. He is focusing on the offensive line and has improved it by a lot every year. He along with Johnsons hired a respectable HC, to the point where every player we signed (and some we haven't) citing this as a big reason they want to be Jets.

This definitely feels different than SOJ. Feels more like the start of Rex Ryan era, when we made conference finals twice, but hopefully with better QB we can do even better and with the JDs philosophy of building through draft - more sustainable for longer term.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

His teams in Miami were terrible, he just got insanely lucky in one score games.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, I am as bearish on the Jets as anyone at times.

I would say there are signs our ownership is figuring out how to do things the right way such as finally implementing the proper HC/GM structure. Saleh is a mystery but I find it hard to believe he'll be worse than Gase. At the very least Saleh seems like a natural leader and a guy who's good at bringing a team together and getting them to consistently play hard and tough. We'll see how his in-game adjustments are but I think we'll have a good defense with his influence on that unit.

Douglas has had his ups and downs so far but he's already done a better job of getting talented players on offense than any GM we've had over the last decade or two. Our previous GM's set a low bar there but our most recent draft was a home run by all accounts. Whether those players work out is a different question but we have a lot of reason to at least think that Douglas made some very good picks. Moore was the consensus 4th best WR in the draft, Carter among the top RB's, AVT the consensus best guard and Wilson among the top QB's.

Our defense also has significantly more talent than last year, especially on the DL where we're stacked. That unit should help ease the strain on our young and unproven secondary. Our LB's are a mixed bag and we're pretty strong at safety.

Just moving on from Darnold alone is a massive plus for our team - it's nearly impossible to overcome trotting out the worst starting QB in the league in a league where QB play dictates much of your success. Whether Wilson is great or not I find it hard to believe he won't be better than league-worst.

With all of that in mind I find it very hard to believe we won't win significantly more games than last year. I'm not expecting a miracle but I am expecting that we win 6ish games and look competent enough to where we have reasons to be optimistic for the following year. Our team is also extremely young, one of the youngest in the NFL I believe.

Gone are the days of trying to build a team through free agency. We've finally done a rebuild the right way by bottoming out, acquiring tons of draft capital and remaking nearly the entire roster with premium, young talent.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Gase also left the Dolphins in shambles.
    He is what he is--That Chris Johnson brought him on board in the first place and that CJ may still have decision making power makes me nervous for the future--to the OP's point.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

As various posters have pointed out the current structure is 100% better, period. Who gives a rats ass about AG, Mac, the structure that WAS.. How about focusing on the current environment that seems, no that is, significantly improved.

Like other long suffering fans, I look forward to "finally" seeing a competent and competitive CS and FB team. We already have that in the FO and as for the owners. Maybe (should replace with Hopefully) they finally understand that their meddling and poor decisions cause most if not all of the problems.

There will be issues and maybe problems because of all the changes in personal. That is to be expected... lets give the new C-regime so time to get their **** together. Buckle up boys, its going to be a fun ride, book it.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with repeating yourself especially when you said it so well the first time!!!

That being said I would like to point out that we are exactly 21 days, or 3 weeks, from the start of training camp. Hopefully, then the type of posts you were responding too will dissappear as we will be trying to keep up with all the training camp news. In other words we should not be subjected to these poor posts for much longer. That and we are DWC free for 5 plus more months. The state of this board is definately trending upwards.

K'OB likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

PJ4Ever, K'OB and Noam like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Second time I seen a reference to this, I must have missed something... Again.

What happened?

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Brook suspended DWC for 6 months for attacking Cman. If you look through his posts look for one he edited to nothing and then follow the thread. I believe CMan quoted him in a reply before he edited his post.

While I think the board is a better place I do have sympathy for DWC as I think he means well. I don't know whether to celebrate or feel sad so I have chosen to celebrate with a slight bit of sadness.

K'OB likes this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Chris Johnson listened to Mac that was his problem. Make no mistake Gase was Macs hire. Gase then proceeds to get Mac fired and Douglas brought in. Gase was right about one thing Mac was horrible unfortunately for Gase was horrible as well. With all that happening Douglas fixed the scouting department had a good first draft accumulated draft picks with the little talent the team had to start his rebuild. A plus thus far.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, even though we always fall out, we actually have common ground on a fair few things but then he is an utter arse the rest of the time, as I guess, I am also lol

It is the repetitive posts that kill him at the end of the day, ah well.

Noam likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think it is the length of the posts the quantity and the over exaggeration. He does not let anyone else breathe. If he cut the number of posts by 90 percent he could be a valuable asset. Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing quite fast. Either way I hope he is able to resolve whatever issues he has and finds a little peace. He is not a bad person.

NCJetsfan, PJ4Ever and K'OB like this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He's a decent guy--he's hyperactive and wears his heart on his sleeve so people lose patience with him even though he provides intelligent analysis. I didn't think he should have gotten 6 months and I'm surprised by the severity--but I doubt he cares too much. With the extra time he needs to make that youtube channel he talked about.

Noam likes this.
  14. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Agree with this wholeheartedly, however, I am not totally convinced yet. Although It does appear that JD is at least learning as he goes, I still have a hard time beliveing JD made 4+ horrific draft picks in 2020, namely Jabari Zuniga, Ashton Davis, James Morgan, & Cameron Clark. On paper this past draft looks tens of times better. JD's past offseason was handled with tactical precision imho as well. How he managed to get starting RT Morgan Moses in July is impressive. So unlike idiots Gase and McCagnan who appeared to go backwards the longer they were on the job, JD seems to be learning and getting better. He has done a good job bolstering the OL, WR, and even RB position. He knows the OL is the key to everything on offense along with the QB. But no QB can perform with a horrible OL. I also think the infusion of new management under JD has fueled the turn towards respectability. So while I share a lot of guys optimism for the future, I am well educated as to the fun of spring and early summer, until the misery of fall and winter sets in around here LOL. Numb to the losing. Am not going to let them suck me back in again all the way (like throwing shit in the house on games days type crazy) until I see a real football team on the field that can beat other teams up and not be embarrassed on National TV for example. I just want to see the Jets win so badly already...Don't know if this made any sense LOL, its tough to convey the feelings I have for a team that I have supported for 50 years now that has beat the living $hit out of me for decades, but still have permanently embedded in my heart no matter what happens.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration quite well. It’s been a long run of continuing mediocracy with just a couple of fleeting flashes of success. I do believe that JD has the right idea, his priorities are on target, of course he will miss on some picks like everyone else but hit on the rest, something we didn’t do before. I still think there is a good chance Clark will start at guard, Morgan will be a solid back up QB, and Davis will have a starting role if heathy. Zuniga will be in the rotation.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The only thing I disagree with is saying that JD made 4+ horrific picks in 2020. It's way too early to say that. Clark was injured most of the year, and was a project anyway. Gase was trying to win and save his job, he didn't care about developing rookies, and I'm not sure his staff was capable of developing even a bad cold, much less football players. Zuniga was injured. Davis was relatively inexperienced and a bit of a project and he played pretty well as a SS. I think Zuniga is the one most likely not to last, if for no other reason than we have so many good DL.

LAJet likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Way too early to say any 2020 draft pick was “horrific.”

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes perhaps a bit early but the early returns on JDs first draft have not been promising to date. I’d also add in Perine as a disappointment. Zuniga and Clark were total washes but that was injury related so there’s hope. Not sure about Davis…he looked pretty lost to me, but he’s got speed so maybe with better coaching in a different system he can develop….Mims flashed a bit but it’s not like he was dominant by any means, but a lot of that was the QB perhaps so he may be good. Becton was a home run when healthy though so the only real issue is availability with him….guys a beast.

agree it’s still early, and we’ll see what the new coaches and new schemes will do for these guys, but so far, this draft is looking so much better to me than last years draft

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

gimme a break

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in hearing how you conclude Gase has high moral character--Unless you know personal stuff, lets keep it to what we've publicly seen.