Gase/Douglas: What really happened?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Jul 5, 2021.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

there is a possibility that, just like when Rozelle imposed a GM on the Giants, that Goddell did the same behind the scenes.

he started out an an intern with the jets, which i thought was curious since his home was closer to buffalo.

and having an inept operation in new york operating as the AFC rep does little for ratings and sales.

with revenue sharing, the league can't let a bad ownership operate too long without some intervention.

so, the fact that phiily let the jets interview douglas when they had previously refused other teams may mean
    there was something done that was not made aware to the public.

there is a history of behind the scenes moves both in the AFL and NFL historically.

Yankjetfan, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Gase is dogshit--how he was tolerated is a great question. He is far below average in his offensive football skills and remarkably low in leadership and social and moral ability. The combination makes him fully unqualified as an NFL head coach or any leadership position but somehow after years of evidence in Miami, NYJ was stupid enough to hire him and stick with him and even extend him when it was obvious he was a huge negative to the organization.

How and why this happened and how JD managed this fucking mess and remained clean is something we may never know and it is scary to think about because without understanding the causes, it could happen again.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's certainly possible, and may make more sense than the Johnsons waking up and learning. Whatever the case, I'm just glad it happened. Rozelle shoul;d have imposed a GM on the Jets when Hess owned the team or forced Hess to sell the tream.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

you are exactly right. i knew we were in trouble when they announced that charley winner was taking over for weeb, because he was his son-in-law.....

passed over both buddy ryan and walt michaels. hess listened too much to steve gutman.

the hoodie was right in that famous quote, " nobody ever talked more and won less than steve gutman"

jetstopgun and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And don't you actually have to like fuck up for a while to get fired? Anyone who says JD isn't doing the best job since at least Parcells is a terminal Dark Sider.

6. NCJetsfan

I had never heard that quote about Gutman before, but I'm not surprised.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We won 2 games last year. I fail to see how we won't at least look markedly improved from then. Our entire offensive personnel has been changed/improved from last year along with moving on from one of the worst coaches in recent memory.

This take reeks of darksider and SOJ and is devoid of actual logic.

Borat, NCJetsfan, PJ4Ever and 4 others like this.
  8. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

"You are what your record says you are" - Bill Parcells about himself going 3-12-1 in his first season with the Giants.

Ron

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In all fairness, achieving that status is like jumping over a limbo bar.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Except that when Winner was given the job there were still four owners and Hess did not have a controlling interest.

nycarl likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We're unlikely to win a lot more games in 2021.

My take is based on looking at the Jets from the outside and seeing the same dysfunction that we've endured for much of my life. We don't do things right and except for rare instances, like the Parcells tenure and the first couple of Rex years things tend to go BOOM and fall down. They do this repeatedly.

You can say all the harsh things you want to about Adam Gase but he never had a truly terrible year until he came to the Jets. He wasn't a good coach but this team is like a walking pile of trash that will bring anybody down.

We all kind of liked what we saw out of Joe Douglas last year but he reverted to trash-pile Jets form this spring after the team *he* assembled last year went 2-14. It is extremely unlikely that this doesn't just turn into a smoldering dumpster fire of the type we're all familiar with by now.

That's just the reality of what we're staring at now.

Go have fun. QB fever. Hoop and la.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't want to repeat myself, so I won't.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We have the most competent GM in recent memory and you want to shit on him? He was brought in to fix the dumpster fire of the previous two GM's and you expected him to do it with one draft class?

To build properly you have to get rid of the waste and build from the ground up. No spending crazy in Free Agency for a quick short term fix.

This past season was about evaluation. Can Sam step up can Gase step up and others. This was 100% communicated to the Johnson's.

JD is now building his team. His QB his coach his players. In all actuality the JD era starts this season. Last year was about tear down and evaluation going forward it is about building.

I am not sure how anyone can lay that 2 win season on JD. That was a culmination of the last two shit GMs that left this team with very little young talent. JD did what good GMs do with a talent deficient roster and that is acquire high round draft picks. One player (Jamal Adams) was not going to make a difference and he got great return for him and others.

What we are witnessing is a master class in team building. You gut the shit roster you bring in a coach and build a team around that coaches philosophy. After you acquire the picks it is about the players not more picks. You need acquire the players to build the core of your team. AVT, Wilson, Moore ,Lawson etc.

JD has learned from the best and has learned those lessons well. They sacrificed last season for long term growth.

#33 cval, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Jets81, REVISion, Borat and 4 others like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree that last year was not about winning…if it had been, JD would have acted differently in free agency. We will never know what was or wasn’t said behind closed doors, but just watching the actions unfold I think it’s pretty clear that JD was intentionally tearing this talent starved roster down, willing to endure a REALLY bad season in order to accumulate higher draft picks (quality), and was clearly willing to trade away the very few assets he did have to accumulate more picks (quantity). He wanted to build the team his way, starting with the OL. His very first pick was OL. He has now used 2 first round picks on OL in two years….more than Mac ever did.

he job ahead of him, and he held out for a longer contract because of it. He knew Mac had NO strategy I. How to build a team and he had to fix that.

looking at a 2-14 season and indicting him on that is pretty foolish in my view. I think he knew damn well that it was a strong possibility and I think he saw it as a necessary step to tearing down and rebuilding from the ground up.

15. NCJetsfan

You could quote yourself! LOL

K'OB likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One disconnect between Gase and JD is Gase needed to win NOW....he needs as many good FA's and top draft guys as possible. While JD is more concerned about the overall cap and building for the future.

One good part of Gase/Mac is Gase wanted offensive lineman. Build from the trenches out. Mac wanted high value FA (Mosely, Bell, that DB) and ignored the OLine. That's when Gase went all in on getting Mac canned. Gase knew the roster stunk and needed to be rebuilt, not topped with very overpaid FAs. Mac was trying to hold onto his job, not build for the futuer.

Noam likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While there are many bad things about the Gase/mac relationship all in all the pain it gave us uninteionally changed organization for the better.

1. It brought us JD
    2. JD brought us Hogan, Savage and some really good personal.
    3. Hiring JD forced the Johnson's to up the scouting budget to that of a normal team. Something Mac had been trying mostly unsuccessfully to do.
    4. It changed out player outlook in so many ways. An emphasis on long term talent development rather than shirt term fixes, a conservative use of the salary cap pushing money into the future, a focus on the trenches and OL, a focus on increasing draft capital and a use of analytics. Also a FO with patience and a calmness to stick to their philosophy and beliefs and not panick.
    5. Gases tenure forced us to hire a different type of coach. A ceo coach with connections, who builds relationships with players, motivates players and is truthful and trustworthy. Basically the anti gase.

So much to be thankful. I am amazed how much more optimistic I am for the future in such a short time.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The thing is I cannot remember the Jets ever building a team in this fashion. To say the SOJ is having blinders on. The Jets are doing everything differently with this rebuild. The prevailing wisdom on the board was tear it all down and start from scratch and when we do people complain that we did? This is the total opposite of the SOJ.

It makes me wonder if the some of these posters are not really Jets fans but fans of other teams coming on the board to F*** with us.

19. NCJetsfan

Spot on. I have never been one to question one's fanship of the Jets because of what they wanted the team to do, but I can't help but wondering now about a couple of posters. I don't think they are trolls, but their perspective is definitely not dealing with reality. There is nothing about where we are now that is SOJ. I can understand posters being cautious, not wanting to get fooled again and let down, but to go to the extreme that the team is in awful shape that JD should be fired, or be on the slippery slope to getting fired, is totally absurd. That perspective is definitely off for a real Jets fan, at least one who has been a fan for 10 years or more. We have more talent and more reasons to be hopeful and optimistic than we've had since Parcells. If we don't already have more talent than Parcells teams, we're close to being there.

IMO it says that some posters are rigid in their thinking. They think there is only one way to build a team, and anyone that deviates from that is wrong and making horrible mistakes. Their blinders then come up and they can't see reality. I feel sorry for them. The Jets have driven their fans crazy for decades with their incompetence, horrible hires, crappy drafting, and lousy play. It's a wonder we all aren't in the looney bin. I just hope that those posters will wake up or open their mind and realize that we have mopre talent than they thought and that there are other ways to build a team than the way they think. I'd hate for them to stay miserable and unhappy just when things are changing for the better for us. They deserve to have fun and enjoy a great team and winning. Hopefully, they'll come around, and won't just leave out of embarrassment when the Jets are in the playoffs next year.

#39 NCJetsfan, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    ColoradoContrails, Noam, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Looking for reactions huh? Nothing wise to say huh? Rinse and repeat. You did make me laugh so thanks.

FJF and Noam like this.