My Bold Prediction - Jets will win at least 8 games. What's yours?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would use the 2019 Miami team as a role model. New CS, complete tear down, very young team. They started 0 and 7 and looked awful. They finished strong with 5 wins propelling them to a 10 win season in 2020. The number of wins we get this year does not matter but what matters is how much we have improved as a team by the end of the year. That should be our measure.

Bellys Lies, Pags2112, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yes, if the wins happen in that specific way and it builds momentum towards next season it’ll take some of the sting out.

Things don’t typically end well for the Jets, though.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Generally that is the way things work with young players. Progress and development happen before wins. Which is why I again emphasize that wins should not be considered as a measurement of success in 2021. People should temper their expectations and enjoy the season for what it is and there is a lot to be thankful after the Adam Gase years. This season reminds me a lot of the 1977 and 1978 Jets coming off the lunatic year of Lou Holtz. 77 showed a lot of promise but without the wins. In 1978 we started to see the results on the scoreboard.

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I can go along with this if your comparing the 2019 Dolphins to the 2020 Jets. We started 0-11 looking awful but looked much better the last 5 weeks earning 2* wins. One of the losses cost Our DC his job and our 2 wins came against playoff teams.

Just like the 2020 Dolphins, we’re entering the year with a new QB (a much much better new QB).

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am comparing the 2021 Jets to the 2019 Phins. New coaching staff, complete rebuild and tons of young players getting reps. We may start 4 to 7 rookies and lots of 2nd year players and it will take time for our OL to gel. It is very likely we will be a very bad team at the start of the year and dramatically improve as the year goes on.

For example the 1977 team had a huge upgrade in coach and was a much better and competitive team than the 76 team but still finished with the same record. Young players develop 1st before the wins come. I expect the big improvement in wins to come in 2022.

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We will see how it plays out.
    2018 Dolphins 7-9
    2019 Jets 7-9

2019 Dolphins “Tank 4 Tua”
    2020 Jets “Tank 4 Trevor”

2020 Dolphins 10-6
    2021 Jets ?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Aside from the growth and improvement of the rookies, as well as the jelling of the vets with them, I really want to see a team that competes every week, and is capable of winning any given game. I accept that there will be mistakes that cost games, but I want to see a team that never quits, that is always fighting to the end. I remember the Namath years, and the fact that they weren't invincible...Joe threw his share of INTs, and there were some heartbreaking losses (I still get angry about the Heidi Bowl!), but they sure were exciting to watch, and with Namath I always felt there was a chance to win. I'm really hoping that's what Wilson develops into: a QB who can carry the team and win any game.

Pags2112, Noam, RPOZ51 and 1 other person like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think more than anything I just want to see a competent, modern, explosive offense. I can tolerate a lack of winning if the offense is at least lively. I'm so used to the Jets being a team where if we went down by 14+ the game was effectively over no matter how much time was left. It's like we'd been running a suburban high school offense the last few years.

Pags2112, NCJetsfan, Noam and 2 others like this.
  9. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Becton catches not 1, but 2 TDs this year

dmw, Brook!, Pags2112 and 2 others like this.
  10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Very good point. We will see how some of the roster that was carried over fit the new scheme .. Though the Dline is a bright spot on paper .. But we are still far away in terms of depth overall is a team.

11. Pags2112

She is a probably a savage in the BR .. Kapono is living the dream. ;)

12. Pags2112

I can get on board with this 100.

13. Pags2112

Parents Just Don't Understand.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Nobody likes losing, but it seems to me that the jets in the past have had so many players (and coaches) that DON'T MIND losing. They rationalize that "we gave it our best shot" and probably don't spend a lot of time thinking about WHY they lose so much. THOSE are the kind of people a team should move. I actually like the jets for 9-8 this year --After years of a Mike MacMacgan swiss cheese OL, the jets finally have so players on the OL and DL-- which is where games are won and lost. Of course ALL of this depends on QB Wilson. If we have to play Morgan or White, IMO we're toast.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see that you're feeling more optimistic, Tom. I figured that you would really like the signing of Moses. Most teams are toast if their starting QB goes down. Most teams have JAGS as backups that would struggle to win many games. If Saleh and LaFleur feel confident enough in Morgan and White to risk their reputations and careers on them and not bringing in a veteran, I can't quibble with that. I highly respect both as men and as coaches. JD and Saleh have done about all they can do to ensure that their QBs succeed. There is a very good OL in front of them. There are excellent weapons at WR and RB. It is a QB-friendly system. They have a proven QB Coach and a Passing Game Coordinator who has 10-20 years experience as a QB Coach and OC, I believe. LaFleur is bright and creative. I have to believe that if Garoppalo, Mullens and Beathard could have success in this system, that Morgan and White can as well. I could be wrong. IMO it's a worthy gamble however. If they have to play and play well, then we have our backup QB for the foreseeable future. If they don't play well, then as a young, rebuilding team we are gonna lose some games this year anyway. The W-L record isn't really important this year. What is important is finding out which players are keepers, who can help us going forward, and then developing them, getting them experience. I won't be rooting for us to lose this year, but if we wind up losing 3-4 more games than I thought we would, I won't shed any tears. That will just give us better draft position and better position for JD to fill the remaining holes in the draft. Then next year we should be ready to be a playoff team.

#95 NCJetsfan, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  16. Pags2112

I know a lot of other fans do not enjoy the pre-season, but I always have. I enjoy seeing what we have in late round picks and UDFA's, even though at times it has been utterly disappointing. This Pre-season is a must watch imo. I am excited and optimistic for the CS as well as the players.

Noam likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Neither guy has seen any NFL action and that's entirely on Adam Gase. Morgan may not have played in the Big 10 but, he wasn't a bum either in the division he played and JD did see enough of the kid to draft him 4th. Nobody without experience can just come in and light up the field so, Saleh and LeFleur are right in giving the kid reps and a shot. If they suck, its not like the Jets were favs to go to the playoffs anyway. If we're gonna experiment at the QB position, now is the time to do it. Keep Zach safe as possible with a beefed up OL and let Morgan/White learn the system. Who knows, maybe one of them will turn out to be decent. Its all upside for once..

18. Pags2112

Bold Prediction .. 3-4 of our late round picks/UDFA's prove to be quality over the length of the season giving JD the flexibility to substantially upgrade the team for 2022.

Going offense in the draft and improving the OL for Zach the way JD has on paper .. Has me wanting more.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

For the first time in decades, I actually think a jet training camp cut or two might be CLAIMED by another team.:confused: Can you imagine that? The jets DL and RB personnel is so deep that just possibly a guy like 6th round pick Marshall or RB Perine might not be able to sneak onto the practice squad. No surprise here, but I think the jets SHOULD look at another LB when the cuts start coming, however.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Really good when Plan A actually works.. JD just may be the GM we've been needing for decades.