Defending Optimism

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jun 30, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you DWC in disguise?

The further possibility of you arguing against yourself about Fant would be quite fascinating, if it was true lol

EDIT which you then mentioned further on lol

KingRoach likes this.
  2. K'OB

Not yet, when he does some things I am open to my mind being changed but as of yet, all I know is, he likes to injure his hamstrings frequently.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I should be feeling optimistic based on the amazing moves this team has made on paper. We had one of the best offseason’s I think I’ve ever witnessed as a fan. But emotionally I can’t get into it as much as I want. Sam Darnold left a huge scar to my optimism that we can ever get a good QB. I’d love to be wrong, but you can’t get me excited by these incremental successes anymore. We can easily bounce back to 7 wins on an easier schedule and never go any further after that with this regime. We need to get back into the playoffs at least to change my thinking. It’s been 10 effing years of failed seasons already so I’ve had enough with the paper or moral victories.

LogeSection2RowJ and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I feel you; it’s hard to be optimistic if you’ve been a fan of this team for any length of time.

About Wilson, though, I know we haven’t seen much from him but he looks and throws like a modern NFL qb. Scans the field quickly, can move around, throws with touch, and gets the ball out of his hands in an instant. If anything that’s something to be excited about. And leading up to the draft I was hoping we’d trade down! Glad I’m not the GM.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a false perception. He never missed a game at Baylor. It was a freak thing with no OTAs, minicamp, etc. last season.

6. K'OB

Well it is and it isn't, in a Jet's uniform he has frequently been injured and he has shown us very little so far.

Not slamming the kid, as I said I am waiting for him to change my mind.

But one thing I do know is, once you start pulling hamstrings they are always a weak spot, I speak from experience on them, unfortunately.

Even now my strings are like piano wire.

patleahy likes this.
  7. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

yeah the hammy's can be tricky and a recurring pain in the arse (no pun) once a guy starts experiencing any problems with them.

K'OB likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

He hasn't frequently been injured, either. He got injured early, and it took him a while to heal, and the team was cautious and took things slowly with him once he was healthy. He was only injured once, not repeatedly. I also disagree that he has showed us very little. He showed that he can get open vs some of the best CBs in the NFL. It's not his fault that he had an incompetent QB who could rarely seem to find him, or looked to go downfield. He showed that he can make great contested catches. He showed that he could get YAC.

Don't forget that he had no OTAs or minicamp, and a lot of our WRs went down with injuries trying to rush to get into game shape once TC started. It wasn't just Mims. The previous training staff and CS could bear a lot of responsibility for all those injuries. They're gone, and I don't expect to see all the injuries this season.

You're not a professional athlete and don't have a professional training staff available 24/7 to help you heal and stay healthy, either.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand the caution, I'm just saying that I've seen a lot of him, and I know what he's capable of and don't agree that his hammys will be a problem.

9. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think we will see much less injuries this year with new regime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  10. K'OB

I thought he went down in OTA's this season with a recurrence of his hamstring injury?

Anyway, like I said I wasn't trying to put him down but as it stands I think he needs to show more this season, of course, Gase is a huge reason for everything and fingers crossed the lad balls out in our shiny new system :D

PS 20 years ago I was a very fit footballer that played against people who actually got paid to play (not very much but still payment lol) but still no personal trainer lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. patleahy

back when you were playing for Arsenal, K'OB? One Nil to the Arsenal!!! ;):)

12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I forgot to include my comp in the original essay.

The Cleveland Browns.

In 2017 they were 0-16

In 2018

They added a quality WR thru FA and drafted a quality CB, OG, and RB

They also drafted a QB with arm talent and went 7-7 under him and may have been 9-7 if they let him start day 1 as the first 2 losses of the season were close games.

They were also victims of shitty coaching going 3-4-1 with Jackson but going 5-3 with their interim coach.

They took a step back in 2019 bc of another shitty coach but without too much of a quality roster change (OT, TE, DT) they went 11-5 in 2020.

Last year we were the 2017 Browns. This year we are the 2020 Browns.

Jets81 and ZachMFWilson like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Nope. He had an illness that bothered him early in OTAs and from which he was recovering. No injury to hamstrings.

Noam likes this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He showed quite a bit last year.

8th in yards per game for a rookie on the worst offense in the league. Was also barely targeted.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and Noam like this.
  15. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Even though I am a fan of both the Pats and the Jets, I can't see the Jets or the Pats toppling the Bills this year.

With a new QB and all the player coaching changes, the Jets will surely have some growing pains in the beginning. I could easily see them at 1-4 with many Jet fans giving up hope for them. However, will they get better as the season progresses? A 6-11 season with the team being a better team at the end of the year seems reasonable to me.

Rome was not built in a day nor will the Jets be.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. K'OB

Must have been a small sample size, Gase the arse barely targeted him, he really was the dumbest head coach in history.

ColoradoContrails and PJ4Ever like this.
  17. K'OB

I wish I was good enough to have played properly, unfortunately, injury struck at a bad age.

I had a trial for a team whose players more often than not got taken on by the local pro team, I lasted 15 minutes before some cunt studded me and gouged a tennis ball-sized hole in the top of my thigh, scraping the old man and sack on the way (I was very, very lucky he didn't make me a eunuch) I never played football for nearly two years, career over at 15yo.

I'M NOT BITTER

[​IMG]

18. patleahy

shit dude, no joke, legit sorry to hear that. :(

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  19. K'OB

Don't worry about it lol it was 33 years ago ;)

20. NCJetsfan

Sorry to hear that man! I'm glad that it didn't make you an Eunuch. That really would have been something hard to accept. Was the cunt wearing steel cleats? I've never heard of a soccer injury like that.