ESPN-Rating the off-seasons for all 32 NFL teams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Jun 28, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if pitts came here and we didn't build the o-line and sam was bad, it would look awful. as good as pitts will likely be, QB is more important then a TE. Sam wasn't working out, zach looks like he's special, it was absolutely the right move 10/10 times. whether it works out or not is besides that fact. hindsight is always 20/20

cval, Noam, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I hope you aren't a betting man. Were you blindfolded for the past 3 years? Or do you really think Wilson will be the worst starter in the league like Sam was?

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's amazing how some posters see things. Truly bizarre! Wilson worse than Darnold! ROFLMAO!!

4. NCJetsfan

What good would Pitts have done when Sam can't read the D, can't make quick decisions, get the ball out quickly and is very inaccurate? QB is 100x more important than TE. Pitts should be a great player in the NFL, but you never know. He's already had one concussion. He could be likely to have more.

You don't pass up on a QB who is pretty much a perfect fit for your new system and who is a great prospect, even for a potential HOF TE. TE is a very important position in this offense, but not anywhere near as important as QB.

I loved Pitts too and would have loved to have drafted him, but not at the expense of passing up on Wilson. There was a TE a few years ago who was very similar to Pitts in terms of athleticism, speed, etc. who was drafted by the Niners I thought he would wind up a HOF player for certain and re-write all the record books. He didn't. He was very good, and an All Pro several times, but never as dominating and great as I and many projected. His name is Vernon Davis.

#44 NCJetsfan, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

They don’t even play man in this system.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

True, but Saleh is on record as saying that he wants a CB who can play man at times and be able to shut his man down. I could be mistaken, but think that in order to do that, he would have to be a good or very good man CB who is also adept at playing zone. I'm not certain that a purely zone CB could shut down a top WR one-on-one.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

At this point, not having seen Wilson play a snap it is pretty much 50/50. No matter how much you want him to be the savior he still has to show he can make the jump.

Plenty of higher touted names have done worse.

cval, FJF, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So you think it's a coin flip as to whether Wilson being the worst passer in the league? And how can you do worse? Last is last.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Cimini is such a clown.
    Calls Saleh's system proven.
    Doesnt get that the emphasis isnt on the corners.
    Doesnt get that the system worked in Seattle without high draft picks used on corners.
    Wants us to sign Richard Sherman, the perfect example of that systems corner.

Who was a 5th round draft pick

FJF likes this.
  10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be Cimini if at least there wasn't one sentence of negativity.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is why it’s funny to me when people get mad that Jets fans hate Cimini. It’s not that he’s negative, it’s that he’s sometimes flat out wrong or at the very least illogical. Just because the Jets historically suck doesn’t mean the guy who is always negative is right. There’s a difference between being realistic and coming off as negative and just spewing bullshit and coming off as negative.

FJF likes this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

NC you totally missed the point here. The initial opinion was offered by G&C that IF Wilson ends up being roughly the same caliber NFL QB as Sam was then drafting him was still a good move because of the cheaper rookie contract.

MY point was that if that ends up being the case (which we are all praying its not) I feel like it will have proved to be a terrible move because whatever money may be saved on the rookie contract with Wilson will never be able to purchase talent of Kyle Pitts ilk.

And I don't believe there should be any disagreement on that. And if there is somebody has to explain to me just who the hell your going to sign off a free agent list (or I suppose afford to attain off your own team) thats going to be as much of a difference maker as a #2 overall pick skills player.

13. NCJetsfan

Thanks for your response, but I don't think I did miss the point. While I agree that the Jets wouldn't have been able to sign a FA of the caliber of Pitts for the money saved going from Sam to Wilson, it wouldn't have mattered, because if Wilson turns out to be no better than Sam, Pitts talents and career will have been wasted on the Jets. A player like Pitts who is a freak athelete and who is a deep threat and YAC nightmare has to have a QB to get him the ball. Sam wasn't accurate on deep passes or intermediate passes. Sam and Pitts would have rarely connected on deep passes, and Pitts would have gotten so few passes thrown to him early and accurately, that his YAC ability would have been nullified. In fact, it's quite likely that Sam would have gotten Pitts injured trying to catch one of his wild passes. A great receiver is almost totally reliant on the QB getting him the ball at the right point in his route, on time, and accurately. Sure, he still would have been a threat and would have made some big catches, but not nearly as many as if he was playing with a good QB. A good/great Wilson with lesser receivers is more of a threat than Pitts with a mediocre QB.