ESPN-Rating the off-seasons for all 32 NFL teams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Jun 28, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In addition to to stupid remark about giving up on Darnold too soon, there was also no mention of the great offensive weapons that were added. What did the Jets ever do to him to get him to be such a Negative Nancy about them?

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you don't need top CBs in this defense. you just need smart and fast guys. we have a lot of young fast guys, hopefully some are smart enough to excel in this system

PJ4Ever, Noam and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat I hate that jackass

patleahy likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe not, but a top CB makes players around him better and can shut down one side of the field as Revis showed.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think Zach needs to become a star because the Jets moves on from Sam.

I think Zack needs to become a star because we spent the second overall pick on him, our GM is in love with him and we heard many people including some in this thread pounding the table about what a perfect prospect he was.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold is still an open question at this point. We'll see what he does with the Panthers and that will mostly answer the question for us.

I give him a 50/50 shot at being a substantially better NFL QB than Wilson. I'm not a big Wilson fan though so that's not saying a lot.

Ralebird, J-Raw24 and westiedog1 like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Cimini hasn't been able to write a story without bringing Darnold up all offseason, it's really weird. He certainly wasn't this loyal to Sam when he was on the Jets.

Darnold has been bad for three years. The Jets were going to have to make a decision on his fifth year, with him having basically proved nothing.

Just because Sam's failure here can't 100% be blamed on him, doesn't mean Joe Douglas owe him anything at the expense of putting together his team.

They had a plethora of picks this year and a QB prospect that viewed as elite. They had to take him and reset the clock. Zach Wilson wasn't the QB I wanted, but I certainly don't blame the Jets for taking him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  8. Br4d

If the Jets had kept Darnold the odds on Wilson getting put on the field too early go way down.

That doesn't mean that Darnold would have been the guy in any scenario but given the Jets terrible record of picking young QB's in the draft you'd think they'd have had the balls to let a surplus hang around until they figured it out.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Every game Darnold played would have lowered his trade value. We got a good return for him all things considered. We wouldn’t have gotten that if we waited until week 6.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes that could’ve been an acceptable way to go….however, trading him was probably for the best. There would have been a ton of pressure on Sam in that spot, with a 2nd overall pick waiting over his shoulder….not exactly a set up for success. It would have caused some roughness in the locker room and maybe even amongst the coaches, certainly the fans. And getting back a 2nd and a 4th, while nowhere near what we gave up to get him in the first place, is still valuable.

I also think Sam’s circumstances were among the worst in the league, what with Gase, a bad OL, pretty crappy overall group of receivers, and a 90 year old RB…no doubt. But it’s also hard to argue that he didn’t play well, and perhaps could’ve played better than he did, even with those terrible circumstances.

in the end, when you add the financial benefits of a rookie QB contract with Wilson, I’m ok with the choices JD made…I hope Wilson pans out, but regardless I understand the logic behind the moves, which is way more than we can say for Mac and Idzik both…

FJF likes this.
  11. Br4d

They swapped a ton of pressure on Sam for a ton of pressure on Zach and the coaching staff.

Really though there was going to be little pressure on Sam. Taking a QB on the #2 overall makes that the guy and the only question is whether he is good to go or not. The or not case is the one we have no cover on right now.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I disagree with this but I can perhaps be persuaded. The reason I disagree is opportunity cost. If Kyle Pitts (which is what the Darnold/Wilson swap cost) goes on to be a game wrecking Travis Kelce type HOF impact guy walk me through how exactly muddling around with another QB swap can be justified if Wilson is not significantly better than Sam was going to be?

I'm not seeing it being a good bet and I didn't see it being a good bet at the time. If Wilson does indeed go on to be a top 12 type bell cow QB then all will be fine and the position is so important I can't fault the Jets for shooting for that. Obviously their evaluation is that there is a good chance he comes through and is a star. But despite the gushing love-fest reviews which he's getting so far (often almost word for word the same stuff that was said about Sam at the beginning) I still feel like this move is a little more risky than a lot of people are acknowledging.

If you put Darnold behind an actually improved OL, supported by an actual coaching staff instead of a clown show, with actual NFL caliber receivers to through to, and Kyle PItts destroying the middle of the defense I'm still thinking you'd see a lot different results.

Footballgod214 and Br4d like this.
  13. Br4d

This is one of the things we will find out this season. Darnold has tools and a decent OL in Carolina. If he is going to make it in the NFL this is the year for him to take that first step.

Your point about mucking around with another highly drafted young QB is absolutely right. If Wilson doesn't prove out all it will tell us is that the Jets are incapable of making that scenario work.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

15. GasedAndConfused

the thing is kyle pitts could go off, but on a different team maybe he doesn't. in the NFL everything is connected.

patleahy likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

Revis showed the opposite. he showed other teams will just expose the weaker CBs and not look your way. it was also a different system. zone corners don't need to be as talented as man corners

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Wilson cost way more then Kyle Pitts.

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

That is true, but not the whole story. Its like the nature vs nurture argument. Pitts has talent, ability and potential that like... three other people ever to walk the earth have had.

I guess that was my main point originally. You are absolutely not taking whatever money you might have saved on Zach's rookie contract vs. Sam's 4th year and going out and just randomly signing the kind of talent that you passed up with the #2 draft pick. The Kyle Pitts of the world can't be signed. Only drafted.

So given that.... Zach needs to really work out. Just puttering along being no better than Sam isn't going to cut it.

And spreaking of that Brad is 100% right. If Sam actually had to get dumped this is now about the perfect lab experiment. He's got a starting job with what I would consider a clearly more stable situation than he had with the Jets. We'll see. Maybe he'll completely fail, maybe not. But either way we're going to get to see. Like getting to see what cards you folded to in poker.

ouchy likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

QB's are way more impactful on wins and losses than TE's.

patleahy likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll never agree that would have been an acceptable way to go. Having Sam here would have been a huge distraction, and could have divided the team For certain, it would have hindered Zach's, Morgan's and White's development, as he would have taken reps away from them. With his inability to read Ds and slow decision making, he would have hindered the development of the timing and flow of the offense. With his inaccuracy, he could have gotten one or more i=od our WRs or DBs hurt. Having to pay him we not only wouldn't have been able to re-set the QB cap, but quite possibly wouldn't have been able to sign Moses or some of the other FAs we did. Finally, we wouldn't have gotten an additional 2nd round pick for next year. IMO there was no good reason for keepingt him, or viable way to keep him. It would have been much more expensive and risky, and wasn't the smart thing to do with a new CS and offensive system.

Yes, Sam's cicumstances were among the worst in the league, but he didn't help those circumstances by fixing his ability to read Ds, making quicker, better decisions, or fixing his footwork so his accuracy could improve. IMO a big reason for the Jets' poor play iver the last three seasons is directly attributable to Sam. Zach is a far better QB already, and a much better fit for our offense. He gives us a real chance to not only turn things around, but to actually flourish. Sam would have been a millstone that would have drug us down, and prevented our getting a quick, positive start with our offense. I'm glad that he's gone. The only reason I don't regret drafting him is that undoubtedly Mac would have drafted one who was even worse in the following draft or JD would have been forced to draft one last year, and we'd probably not been able to draft Becton, and would have drafted either a lesser QB prospect in Jordan Love or Jalen Hurts. Hurts would have gotten killed behind our OL.

PJ4Ever likes this.