ESPN-Rating the off-seasons for all 32 NFL teams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Jun 28, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-goals-top-moves-biggest-remaining-questions

ESPN NFL Nation ranked the off-seasons for all 32 NFLteams while also writing about each team's "biggest remaining question mark." The full list of what they had to say about each team is above. Here is what they said about the Jets off-season and current roster below, which is, overall, quite positive and encouraging:

NY JETS

Offseason summed up in three words or fewer:
    Welcome back, Hope. After two years of gloom and doom under former coach Adam Gase, new coach Robert Saleh has energized the organization with his upbeat personality and proven systems on both sides of the ball. This is the first time in franchise history the Jets have been in a rebuilding situation with a first-year coach and a rookie starting quarterback (wild, right?), sparking optimism after 10 straight years out of the playoffs.

Offseason goals: Short answer: The offseason goal was to change pretty much everything, but let's focus on the biggest personnel move -- Zach Wilson for Sam Darnold at quarterback. The Jets gave up on Darnold too soon, but general manager Joe Douglas was determined to reboot with a rookie contract and with his own "guy" at the position. Wilson, drafted No. 2 overall, needs to be a star to validate the decision. Another goal was to bolster the lines, which they did a great job of by signing defensive end Carl Lawson and defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, drafting guard Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round and adding veteran right tackle Morgan Moses last week. Douglas gets an A+ for those moves as well as for the Saleh hire, but make no mistake....Zach Wilson's development (or lack thereof) as an NFL QB will tell the tale of JD.

Biggest question still to be answered: The Jets don't have a No. 1 cornerback. Sadly, they might not even have a No. 2 cornerback either. Their cornerbacks have a total of 35 career starts. Not only are they inexperienced, but none of them is a high-round draft pick. So yes, the Jets need a veteran (Richard Sherman, anyone?), but the current plan is to let the kids fight it out in the preseason. Bryce Hall and Blessuan Austin will go into camp as the starters, but that could change. Chances are, it will.

#1 patleahy, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cimini is such a dumb fuck! We did not give up too soon on Sam.

PJ4Ever, JetBlue, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Zach doesn’t need to be a star to validate the decision unless Sam becomes a star.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yea that was a really stupid line. But that's Cimini for you.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

basically zach just needs to outperform darnold to justify it. even if he performed the same it could still be justified for the money difference alone

PJ4Ever, Pepsiguy5, JetBlue and 9 others like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cimini on Darnold:

[​IMG]

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters how Sam or ZW does. It was still the right decision to draft ZW and move on from Sam. Sam was done in NY and needed a fresh start. The odds of Sam turning things around in NY was low. They had an opportunity to scratch another QB lottery ticket. It may or may not work out but the decision to try again was sound. One cannot control outcomes but JD made the sound decision and is doing everything he can to support our new QB. There are no guarantees here but he is doing all he can to get us a FQB. I support the process over results as one can only control the process not the actual results.

That being said I hope both Sam and ZW do well.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The sentiment is spot on but in actuality, the draft pick we would get back for Sam sucking is the deciding factor, unfortunately.

An ex-Jet or our future?

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In that case I hope Sam loses all 17 games by the score of 49 to 45.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Cimini is an asshole and Darnold isn’t a Jet so who gives a fuck, I root for Jets

11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol succinctly and passionately stated, @matt robinson 17 ;)

matt robinson 17, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Cimini is making me really hope Darnold crashes and burns in Carolina.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I hope Sam sucks this year, gets one more chance in Carolina, and turns into a franchise QB who loses multiple Super Bowls to Zach.

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I wish I could interview Cimini and ask him exactly what he saw over the past three years from Sam that still gives him a boner.

15. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

The Jets gave up on Darnold too soon
    I feel that I have a healthy imagination and then I see something like this.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s the part cimini is ignoring. It’s a capped league. In the position the Jets were in , they had one year to see if darnold could be salvaged. Douglas bought time and flexibility. It was actually the more conservative move.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! Also, Zach is a much better prospect that Darnold ever was, and is a perfect fit for our new offense. Darnold was definitely not, as he is not a quick decision maker, doesn't read Ds well, doesn't get the ball out quickly and is not accurate.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

exactly. not to mention the chance of having that top pick in a good QB class again is rare. Passing on the next possible mahomes to pay more to a guy still trying to prove it doesn't make a lot of sense in hindsight. Giants did that and got stuck with a high pick in a bad QB class and wound up with daniel jones who is likely not gonna get a 2nd contract with them.

Seneca, FJF, matt robinson 17 and 3 others like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I agree we lack a #1 CB. If Hall becomes one, great. But next year is the time to address the position if that doesn't happen.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This is a classic Cimini move, where when Darnold was on the team he wrote about the need for a change being best for both parties... now that he's gone we moved him too fast.

He picks one side, but then plays devils advocate simultaneously. I don't take his opinions very seriously because he makes them based on writing more stories and not what's actually happening.