Quinnen Williams is the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 27, 2021.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

First and foremost I'm expecting for Quinnen Williams to feast again come 2021 (as he feasted in 2020), but this year to dominate the trenches like never before; now that he's (finally) returned home to his natural playing position of 4-3 DT.

(forcing him into a 3-4 space eating NT position was imo criminal).

Coming out of Alabama (as a 4-3 DT) many of draft experts predicted him to become the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp (4-3 DT) but unfortunately for Quinnen Williams he was forced into a 3-4 NT position; which is an absolute waste of a landing spot for a player with QW's combination of insane athleticism and unreal quickness.

Warren Sapp:
    (6'2 - 300 lbs).

(1995-1996 combined).

31 games played.
    22 starts.
    20 assisted tackles.
    58 solo tackles.
    78 combined total tackles.
    12.0 sacks.
    2 fumbles forced.
    1 fumble recovery.

VS.

Quinnen Williams
    (6'3 - 303 lbs).

(2019-2020 combined):

26 games played.
    22 starts.
    36 assisted tackles.
    47 solo tackles.
    83 combined total tackles..
    9.5 sacks.
    2 fumbles forced.
    1 fumble recovery.

What does this tell me?

J.) The experts who mocked QW coming out of Alabama as the NFL's next Warren Sapp within the makings seem to have been accurate within their assessments.

E) Because what Williams' has been able to do during his first two seasons have been even more impressive than Sapp's first two seasons because despite their statistical numbers being damn near identical; it's much harder to dominate within the trenches as a run stuffer while also pass rushing QBs @ 3-4 NT, than it is to do the same as @ 4-3 DT.

T.) Quinnen Williams is going to become physically unstoppable within a Robert Saleh led 4-3 Defense @ 4-3 DT and is on the verge of taking the league by storm (as a QBs worst nightmare).

S.) Warren Sapp never made his first Pro Bowl until year #3 and never made his first All-Pro team until year #5; and I'm expecting Quinnen Williams to accomplish both accolades here in 2021 (during year #3).

Jets Jets JETS!

(7+ minutes of absolute pure NFL dominance within the trenches).

papapump and barfolomew like this.
  2. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Do the Jets lead the league in drafting playérs in the first round and then have them play out of their natural position? They did it with Coples, Q Williams, Leonard Williams, Vilma.Are there any others? It looks like this isn't going to happen with JD and Saleh.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Vilma shouldn’t be on that list. Herm drafted him and he was a beast in the Tampa 2. Only when mangini came in with his 3-4 did vilma play out of position. Which was mangini’s biggest issue. He was so sold on his way and wouldn’t bend it to fit the roster he inherited. Which is also the problem with having quick hooks on coaches.
    O.T. Williams is going to be an elite dl if he stays on this current track

barfolomew, Brook!, Fiftynine and 6 others like this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I am stoked to see Q play this year. The addition of Lawson on that line is going to be tremendous for him and JFM. This DL is going to be to be SCARY GOOD. People are sleeping on JFM man. Dude was 2nd in pass rush win rate only behind Aaron Donald..

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes man I love the Lawson addition haven't had a 4-3 DE like him since #94 and excited for both Fatukasi and JFM but man am I fired up for QW finally playing in a 4-3 I watched a video the other day of QW speaking on coach Saleh and this kid absolutely already loves that man.

I'm not sure how QW didn't make the All Pro team last year?

Because if All Pros are for individual and not team performance I don't understand because the kid was a top 3 NT/DT in terms of statistical production last season.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good point about Franklin-Myers. Last season: 15 games, 13 QB hits and 3 sacks. Essentially he got his hands on the QB once a game. I'll take it. If the corners can do better on the back end more of those hits will turn into sacks

Didn't realize he was a 4th round draft pick by the way, I thought he was just another guy we got off the scrap heap

Acad23 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. FJF

I think the continued development of Q and the addition of Lawson is going to improve the secondary. That in turn will help JFM. Probably to the point where he goes somewhere else because we won’t be able to pay him.

MoWilkBeast and dawinner127 like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Vilma also got shoved around a lot in the 3-4 but he probably had a chance to mold into it if he got another off-season to bulk up. Lawrence Timmons and Shazier both played in the 3-4 and were Tampa 2 linebackers coming out of college and figured out how to play in the scheme.

Fast linebackers are fast linebackers regardless of scheme. He would've made plays he just had to learn how to do it.
    Maybe you should just make one thread that you can post all of your singular player biographies in?

FJF and abyzmul like this.
  9. FJF

I think he would have excelled eventually but mangini never gave him a chance. There was the mysterious knee injury at the end before they traded him. There’s no doubt Rex would have figured out a better way to use him.
    The other issue was drob playing 0 under weight for the position so there was no one to keep the guards off Vilma. The whole thing was a mess . Mangini needed to be flexible while he turned the roster over.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Na. Sorry. No thmx. QW deserves this thread title unlike the "QW is fat" embarrassing one.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We have all the BPA idiot GM's to thank for this. Jets also must have led the league in taking players at positions we were already fine at over the last decade, mainly interior DL.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'll be pleasantly surprised if JFM makes a meaningful contribution this year--I'll take not jumping offside or roughing the passer at a critical point.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well thankfully I created this thread to rave about QW and not JFM.

Losmeister likes this.
  14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You being serious or is that just because DWC? JFM was 2nd in pass rush win rate only behind Aaron Donald. As Nagle pointed out earlier.. "Last season: 15 games, 13 QB hits and 3 sacks. Essentially he got his hands on the QB once a game" -- He is going to be lightyears better this year with Lawson on the line to help take attention away. Add in another year of experience for Q? Time to eat..

Losmeister and REVISion like this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with DWC--its my opinion from watching games. I think he's being hyped up but I can't deny your stats. I do recall a killer penalty on 4th and 1 that seemed to me to encapsulate his game. We'll see. I hope he kicks ass.

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’ll be interesting this season to watch the D try to keep us in games while our rookies on offense figure out the NFL.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll take the next Chris Jones.

REVISion likes this.
  18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Which of his 2 penalties on the season are you talking about? Against KC or against LA?

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i think the JFM positive vibes are mostly legit

Noam likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

TGG just popped a zit.

REVISion likes this.