CBS Sportsline-Michael Carter leads list of Rookie RBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I honestly see him being more Austin Ekeler. Ekeler has that similar strength in a small frame and lower center of gravity. A very good receiver out the backfield and has the speed/agility necessary to break big gains and can pass pro.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The more I see of Ekeler, the bigger a fan I become.
    Always knew he was versatile and quick, but he’s tough as nails also.
    Definitely more than just a 3rd down back.
    Let’s hope we have something similar going with Carter.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

I really like Ekeler but he's an absolute bull and reminds me more of a Maurice Jones Drew.

Michael Carter is more flashy. Quick like a Leon Washington/Dalvin Cook/Warrick Dunn type of elusive HB and also has some bull rushing in his game.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Like I said it’s not a bad comparison at all.
    Let’s see how Carter looks against NFL competition now.
    I’m looking forward to it.

Wish we had better RB depth, but that’s another topic.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I really like La'Mical Perine too and believe he'll become a really good backup to Michael Carter, and immediately too.

I hated the ways how Adam Gase forced him to watch Frank Gore's 187 rushing attempts from the bench while La'Mical only had 64 opportunities as an ignored Rookie.

Throw 2020's season away.

The likes of Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains completely stole this kids confidence and Florida Gators swagger and as an FSU fan I truly believe we're going to see a super confident La'Mical (within an electric Saleh led locker room atmosphere), an extremely focused 2nd year play (under a creative Mike LaFleur led run game) and a young RB who now has a fighting prayer behind a beast O-Line of Becton/Vera-Tucker/Moses.

Can't wait to watch him regain his Florida Gators RB confidence under coach Saleh before Gase completely mind fkd the kid behind 40 yo Frank Gore and if so J.D might've just created an ACC/SEC RB tandem.

Telvin Coleman is intriguing for us @ RB as well because he's experienced under Mike LaFleur and outside of 2020 (hurt) he was an electric playmaker ex:

throughout the previous 4 years of 2016-2019 he combined for 2,492 rushing yards (4.3 yards per carry) and 23 rushing TDs along with as a dual threat HB another 111 receptions for 1,176 receiving yards and 12 TD receptions for a combined 3,668 All-purpose yards from scrimmage with 35 offensive TDs (an average of 917 All-purpose yards from scrimmage per season).

Hopefully he's 100% fully recovered from his 2020 knee sprain because if so Mike LaFleur can feature a 3 headed attack being led by a dynamic Michael Carter @BacktoQueens I'm kinda fired up about this RB room.

#25 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

like Bugs' slow pitch...

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You don't think we have depth?

Carter - Promising Rookie
    Coleman - proven RB
    TJ 4.8 yards a carry in a Gase offence
    Adams 5.4 yards a carry in a Gase offence
    Perrine - the one I'm not keen on tbh

TJ and Adams both deserve a chance with a decent play-caller and OL to help them, as a 3rd and 4th option I am not sure how much more talented an RB you could get to be so low down the pecking order?

#27 K'OB, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He may not break many tackles in the NFL but he made players miss quite a few in college, and is an elusive, type player. Following is a smattering of info I could find about his ability to break tackles.

From: https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/scouting-lenz-michael-carter-running-back-north-carolina

" Few running backs process leverage and blocking as rapidly as he does. Actively manipulating second-level defenders is a skill Carter possesses and uses to his advantage. He sets up unblocked linebackers one way before cutting it back the other.

Once Carter hits the hole, he shows quick burst, forcing missed tackles as well as bad pursuit angles from defenders. Due to his shiftiness, opponents have a tough time getting their hands on him and wrapping him up. Carter can slip out of low tackles thanks to his flexibility from the hips down."

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2021/4/...-back-michael-carter-day-2-strengths-concerns

Here’s his Mockdraftable spider graph, with data drawn from his Pro Day:

[​IMG]Mockdraftable
    Strengths:
    • Extremely shifty: Carter has phenomenal feet and change of direction skills, as evidenced by both his tape and his shuttle drills, and routinely puts them to use to make defenders look silly. He has an advanced arsenal of moves in the open field, including jukes, spins, dead-legs, a stop-start, and more. This is accentuated by his contact balance, which is much better than you might expect from a running back of his slighter frame. He isn’t easily taken down by defenders who get partial contact on him after he makes them miss, which enables him to maximize yardage from the space he creates.
    Mixed:
    • Tackle-Breaking: Carter breaks a lot more tackles than you’d expect from a running back in his mold, thanks to great contact balance and his ability to minimize contact from oncoming defenders. But he’s also liable to get tripped up by minimal contact at times, and he also has carries where he can’t run through a crowded line of scrimmage and goes down fairly easily for 2ish-yard gains. Obviously that’s not the norm, given his career averages, but it does happen — he’s not the constantly raging bull that his teammate is. It’s also fair to wonder if his ability to shed defenders will hold up at the next level.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/04/22/michael-carter-broncos-nfl-draft-running-backs/

Broncos Film Room: North Carolina running back Michael Carter could be intriguing Day 3 option

By PHILLIP HEILMAN | phillipeheilman@gmail.com |
    PUBLISHED: April 22, 2021 at 11:25 a.m. | UPDATED: April 22, 2021 at 11:25 a.m.

"One of the best parts of North Carolina games in recent seasons has been watching running back Michael Carter get handed the football and counting the missed tackles.

Some were routine. A defensive lineman or linebacker squaring him up in the gap only to be left grasping at air.

Others were more impressive. A safety met meeting him at the second level but unable to stop Carter with a full head of steam."

and veresus VA Tech: "Carter forced at least eight missed tackles, again showing stop-and-start cutting ability. He broke a tackle near the line in the second quarter to turn what should have been a short gain into a 27-yard run and scored a 62-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter when he forced a safety into a bad angle and beat him up the sideline."