The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I feel like Marcus Maye keeps getting better and better. I hope they can reach an agreement on an extension soon, because I can't wait to see him in this defense!

K'OB, Noam, bicketybam and 1 other person like this.
  2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

To me this is possible, but there are a TON of things that have to happen beyond culture. Not to say they can't but...

We need Zach to be pretty NFL ready
    We need our CBs to hold their own

If those 2 things happen, then this is feasible.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'll say two things about the Jets future for 21 and beyond.

I can't even fathom a scenario where coach Saleh and staff are not a massive improvement over whats been running the Jets since Rex Ryan left.

And if this group of wide receivers is not orders of magnitude better than what the Jets have been putting out there the last 4 or 5 years I'm going to be appalled. In previous campaigns I kind of hoped but deep down knew it might not happen. This time around..... How could this group do badly? Maybe they won't be absolute top tier or whatever but I just can't see them being bad.

Pags2112, REVISion, Jets81 and 5 others like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

Yeah, it has been a fun off-season to watch. The Jets seem to have made MANY great moves. More than they have in the past decade combined. Now we need to see it play out on the field. Jets fans are hesitant to get too excited, but I think this will be a really fun team to watch in 2021 and for years to come!

Jets81, Noam, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  5. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

While I’m not going to announce that this team is awesome (I’ve been burned far too many times with this team), I will say that this is the first time that I can remember that the moves that are being made in the off season actually make sense to me.
    Hopefully, this translates into victories on the playing field.
    Sadly, I’ve been a fan far too long to put all my faith into this team but, from what I’m seeing, I am a little hopeful that maybe, finally, we are finally turning the corner.

PJ4Ever, REVISion, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think that’s where the excitement comes from. For too long the moves made by Jets GM’s have defied logic. Douglas is making logical moves.

They won’t all work out, but at least you can tell that the guy wants to set his shiny new QB up for success.

Someone else mentioned he was GM last season for one of the worst Jets teams of all time, and that’s partially true, but it feels like an open secret that he had no intention of being highly competitive last year. He knew that team wasn’t going anywhere.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What's different this year is in years past there were about an equal number of Jets fans having hope for the new year, new players, but there were just about as many fans saying the Jets will still suck. This year, it's about 90-10 in favor of our future. Go Jets!

8. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Just hope that Wilson can bring it. And the new coaching staff can do the same thing.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

Even the darksiders have to admit the Jets are finally headed in the right direction! :)

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You'd think that would be true but they don't or won't admit anything.,

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think your a bit off. About 95 percent of Jet fans knew the Jets were going to be bad last offseason and hated Gase. The difference is most people did not think we would be as bad as we were but just hopefully bad enough to get a new coach in 2021. After witnessing 2019 there were very few sunshiners.

The last few months is the first optimism and hope we have seen in the fanbase since before the Gase hire and this will be the first time since early last year that more than 5 percent of the fanbase has rooted for the Jets to win a game. And 5 percent might be a quite generous number.

#451 Noam, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  12. Footballgod214

Yessir...a bit different this off-season. I recall when we hired Gase 80% of TGG was forecasting gloom and doom. At least now it's harder for the dark siders to find things to bitch about!

The Dark Knight, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  13. Footballgod214

A whole different vibe this year....cant wait!

Noam likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following is an opinion piece. The writer is obviously optimistic and nothing has been accomplished on the field yet, but I think the author has valid reasons for why we should feel hopeful and excited.

http://turnonthejets.com/2021/06/the-path-to-back-to-relevance/

The Path to Back to Relevance
    Stephen Russo offers his thoughts on Joe Douglas’ tenure as GM.

It’s a cautious step, Jets fans. But a step nonetheless. The step I am referring to is the step out of dysfunction that Joe Douglas has seemingly taken. Weeding through the disarray and continuous blunders of a failed organization over the last decade is no easy task, but we are seeing light at the end of this tunnel. Anyone with a pulse can feel the collective optimism of our beloved and passionate Jets fan base: we have hope. We are 6 months removed from the worst Head Coach in Jets history who capped off the worst decade of football that we have all experienced. But the path to competence and relevance is paved right in front of us, courtesy of Joe D.

The peak of free agency was highlighted by big moves to sign an edge rusher in Carl Lawson and give the Jets something they haven’t had in 15 years, a big bodied wide receiver who can be a red zone and middle of the field threat in Corey Davis, and some quality under-the-radar signings like Keelan Cole and LaMarcus Joyner.

Douglas followed this up with an absolutely stellar draft. Not a single soul can argue with any of the first 4 picks. The Jets (finally!) entered the 21st century and drafted offensive players! They got their quarterback, traded up for arguably the safest pick in the draft in Alijah Vera-Tucker at a position of need and solidified the left side of their offensive line, and then followed those up with the explosive Elijah Moore in the second round and running back Michael Carter in the fourth. Weapons! Offense! Points!

To cap off the offseason, late last week Douglas made a deal with free agent Right Tackle Morgan Moses, formerly of the Washington Football Team. Moses, 30, has been nothing short of steady and reliable and has started every game for Washington since 2016. This move solidifies a premium position while providing depth and reliability at swing tackle in George Fant. With this signing, Douglas has essentially rebuilt the entire offensive line in 2 off-seasons.

When Joe Douglas took the Jets’ General Manager job in 2019, he knew he’d have to roll up his sleeves to clean up the mess that he was left. Years of bad drafts, horrible contracts, and a myriad of terrible organizational decisions paved the way for his hiring and the proverbial light to go off in Christopher Johnson’s head to finally right this ship. Douglas was left with a barren roster completely devoid of talent, and the little talent he did have seemed to be in the wrong places. He kept his eyes toward the future while assessing the present – both players and coaches – and began the clean up. He has traded assets that he knew wouldn’t be long-term answers for this team and gotten remarkable value back for them. He’s stockpiled draft picks to maximize his swings on the most important part of building (or re-building) your team from the ground up. He’s shown a tremendous feel for the market, both on draft day (see Denzel Mims) and in free agency, where he not only can assess where a player should be valued, but also where the 31 other teams are valuing them. Most importantly, he spearheaded a flawless coaching search in January. He truly operated with a clean slate to hire someone he had never met before in Robert Saleh, who was arguably the best candidate on the market. Now, Douglas, Saleh, and new quarterback Zach Wilson are in lockstep with each other, creating a necessary symmetry in the organization that they haven’t had in years.

In 1997, Bill Parcells inherited a 1-15 team (4-28 in two seasons) from an atrocious head coach. He quickly launched that team to respectability and sparked the best 15-year run in team history. Can Joe Douglas have a similar “Parcells-ian” effect on the Jets organization, effectively hitting the reset button after years of missteps and gaffes to set the stage for a run at sustained success? It is a tall task, but the Jets could truly be at the starting line of something great.

Buckle those chin straps, Jets fans. For the first time in a long time, this is going to be fun. All Gas, No Brake!

Noam and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

16. The Dark Knight

I was just thinking today: I wish I knew what Joe Douglas was thinking when he accepted the Jets General Manager position. He got a 6-year deal, so he told Christopher Johnson that it would take time for the team to succeed. What I am wondering is how much he planned for the future instantly. Like did he know Gase would flop? Sam was not the franchise QB the Jets needed. He was never going to pay Jamal Adams or Robby Anderson. Or did it just happen that way in the end? Maybe he just watched in 2019 and evaluated everything and then in 2020 he began to implement the plan we are starting to see play out. Stuff like that is interesting to me.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

part of being a good GM is to adapt and overcome. You can't plan stuff out like that ahead. you take it 1 day at a time. I'm sure he wanted to keep jamaal. He was probably unsure of sam and gase but knew he'd outlast them and can build up if they failed. the 1st season for a GM is really just seeing what you have and what needs to be fixed. He knew the o-line needed to be fixed first and foremost and started that right away. after a year of gase and sam he knew they weren't the answer so he replaced them.

18. The Dark Knight

Yeah, that is probably what happened. He had to pitch to Christopher Johnson a long term plan. At that time, it had to include Jamal Adams, Adam Gase and Sam Darnold. Things change quickly in the NFL, but I will always wonder if his plan from Day 1 was to strip the team down, rebuild it, and hire his own Head Coach. Of course, we will never know what was going on in his mind.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Whenever I see this thread title, I want to do bad things to innocent, unexpecting people.

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people were fooled by the way we finished out the 2019 season, 6 & 3. They felt the momentum would carry over into 2020. Obviously that didn't happen. That is why a lot of fans are hesitant to be optimistic about this year.