2021 has yet to begin and Joe Douglas has already positioned himself to strike come 2022

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 26, 2021.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

As a fan base we've finally found ourselves an NFL GM who's built his team (and is still building) around our offense (within an offensive driven league at that) and it's pretty refreshing.

A
    .) 4 draft picks within just the first two rounds alone come 2022 (with 7 picks throughout rounds 3-6).

Seattle (1st).
    Jets (1st).
    Panthers (2nd).
    Jets (2nd).

• Which 2022 draft prospects are we already dreaming about?

B.) Projected to have the 3rd most available salary cap space @ $71,650,848 come 2022 (in comparison to Buffalo, who's only projected #28th @ $1,054,831; and still must sign Josh Allen to a long term extension).

• Which 2022 Free Agents are we already hoping for?

Core players on Offense:
    QB: Zach Wilson.
    LT: Mekhi Becton.
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker.
    RT: Morgan Moses.
    WR: Elijah Moore.
    WR: Denzel Mims.
    WR: Corey Davis.
    RB: Michael Carter.

This tells us (if Morgan Moses plays great and gets an extension) that heading into 2022 JD will only need to focus on 3 starting positions (Center/TE/RG) throughout both Free Agency and the draft in order to 100% complete his Offensive rebuild.

• Does JD pull a 2021 and attack the draft early and often on offense in order to complete his rebuild by the time Zach Wilson heads into his 2nd season?

Tyler Linderbaum (#1 rated Center) and Jalen Wydermyer (#1 rated TE) both in the first round?

Core players on Defense:
    DT: Quinnen Williams.
    DE: Carl Lawson.
    MLB: C.J. Mosley.
    Safety: Marcus Maye (expecting an extension).

This tells us that our offense is further along than our Defense and that Robert Saleh could be licking his chops just at the thoughts of 4 picks within just the first two rounds.

• Does JD pull an opposite of 2021 and feeds Saleh with Defensive picks early and often?

Will he trade up into the first as he did for the #1 rated interior O-lineman in Alijah Vera-Tucker for either one of DE Edge Kayvon Thibodeaux or CB Derek Stingley Jr.?

Current needs
    (No specific order).

Center.
    RG.
    TE.
    DE Edge (opposite of Lawson).
    4-3 DT (opposite QW long term).
    CB.
    CB.
    SS.
    FG kicker.

2021 has yet to begin but which potential Free Agency targets and/or draft picks would you like to see JD utilize in order to fill in some of these holes (above) throughout 2022's offseason and is it out of the realms of possibility to feel that we're on the verge featuring a true contending roster (around our QB position and Zach Wilson) in terms of talent wise come 2022?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

PS: My post above has exactly 386 words and takes a slow reader 3.9 minutes to read, an average reader 3.0 minutes to read and a fast readers (such as TGG posters) exactly 2.4 minutes to read.

(Yes. I'm trying my hardest to still add content without 1,200 words and/or avoid picture and videos in order to make it a smoother read for everyone who's been critical of my writing style as of late).

NYGANGGREEN, patleahy, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

2 picks in the mid 20’s won’t be enough to trade up for either Thibodeaux or Stingley.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

There are at least 6-8 1st round QBs being mocked heading into 2021 meaning that awesome prospects will fall into our JD laps.

As we all know Jamal Adams stinks and Seattle has no defense but on a more serious note, Seattle is in trouble.

They had the fewest draft picks of any team this past draft (3) and were only able to draft...

Round 2: No. 56, WR D’Wayne Eskridge.
    Round 4: No. 137, CB Tre Brown.
    Round 6: No. 208, OT Stone Forsythe.

The only played who I liked was D'Wayne Eskridge (WR) but unfortunately for Seattle, it's their Defense that is awful.

They're so desperate for Defense they just signed 31 year old Aldon Smith (who's a suspension away from being banned for life).

Russell Wilson is 32 and can not continue to do it all himself for too much longer and his entire team is coming off an absolutely horrible offseason.

Seattle 2021 Schedule:
    @ Indy = loss.
    vs. Tennessee = loss.
    @ Minnesota = win.
    @ San Francisco = win.
    vs. Rams = loss.
    @ Pittsburgh = loss.
    vs Saints = loss.
    vs Jax = win.
    @ Green Bay = loss.
    vs. Arizona = loss.
    @ Washington = win.
    vs. San Francisco = win.
    @ Houston = win.
    @ Rams = loss.
    vs. Bears = win.
    vs. Lions = win.
    @ Arizona = loss.

8-9.
    (and that's being generous).

8 wins would've had them picking 17-19 last year but with an extra 1 game come 2021 (17 games) only 8 wins could have then picking between 14-16 (depending on tie breakers).

So if they'll be picking say 15th overall and with 6-8 1st round QBs projected? With two 1st round picks; JD could most certainly trade up into draft either one of Kayvon Thibodeaux or especially Derek Stingley Jr.

I really believe they'll finish as a lottery bottom 10 team all because of their atrocious offseason and they've since signed 20+ undrafted free agents; 8 wins was being generous.

5. KingRoach

I believe there is 0 chance 6-8 QBs go in the 1st next year.

People say it’s a weak class… personally I’d like the season to play out Bc lately stars have been shining in their Jr years…. But more importantly, I don’t think there are 6-8 teams who would pick a QB in the 1st.
    Houston? Possibly
    Detroit? Maybe, but I think with Sewell in the 1st and D in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th they’re down for Goff thru at least ‘22
    Miami? We’ll see
    Giants? We’ll see
    Steelers? Possibly (Ben’s contract is structured like it’s his last year)
    Carolina? LOL
    Denver? Yes

And you have to take 2 off the list of needy teams once Rodgers (unless he retires) and Watson get traded.

Re the Seahawks: They are in a tough division but I’m not going to count Russell or Carroll out just yet.

KT looks like a top 3 pick so IMO he’s a non starter.

Stingley is aww inspiring but a zone scheme would not utilize his talents IMO. Trading our 26 and Seattle’s 12 to get him would be a waste. I’d be perfectly happy with the top Edge and CB on the board at 12 and 26.

FJF likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've been following 2022's draft class since our past draft and no way shape or form are expert mock drafters considering this as a weak draft class.

"2022 NFL Mock Draft: First-round heating up for QBs".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...yvon-Thibodeaux-Derek-Stingley-166852173/Amp/

They actually have Stingley going to us @ 6 and they've got 6 QBs going first round and other mock drafts have even more than just those 6 going 1st round.

7. KingRoach

Yeah, I’m not a fan of Walter Footballs’ mock drafts. They have Green Bay picking 4th implying Love sucks but they don’t have GB picking a QB? Highly Flawed IMO.

The most QBs taken in the 1st in 39 years? I’d be willing to bet that doesn’t happen.

I said I wouldn’t trade up for Stingley, I never said I wouldn’t want him.

Noam likes this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

There were 5 QBs drafted in 2018 and another 5 this year and I believe at least 6 go in the 1st this year, but only time will tell.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...ay_too_early_2022_nfl_mock_draft/s1__34794056

Another 1 with 6 this class is QB loaded man

#8 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

For the thread title....who are you quoting?......yourself?!o_O

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Should be a 24 hour ban because it gives the impression that it was said by someone relevant.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Idk about those core players on offense.. 4 haven't played a down in the NFL and 2 are second year players with some big questions (Becton > health, Mims > ability).
    Overall I like the post and agree there's reason to be positive because feels like we're finally building a real team but way too early to tell what holes have been filled

ouchy and KingRoach like this.
  12. KingRoach

Dude…. It’s a story written by writers who want you you give them attention. They have lots of storylines for their picks. Storylines which are either ridiculous or a 50/50 shot at best.

-If TB decides to look for TB12s replacement….
    -Jones may or may not be going into a make or break year
    -Matt Ryan might get hit by a bus
    Etc,etc,etc

In real life, 6 QBs will NOT be going in the 1st round next year. I’m willing to bet real life money on that.

If they both have the types of years they’re capable of, 0% they make it out of the top 10 and a 10% chance they make it out the top 5

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

For mock draft purposes those rookies won’t be in jeopardy of getting cut /replaced going into their 2nd years. So while maybe not core players, definitely hole fillers when roughing out what an offseason would look like.
    @DefenseWinsChampionships , much better, now cut the title down to a sentence max.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

5 QBs went 1st round 2018 and 5 QBs went 1st round 2021 and 6 can easily go 1st round come 2022.

Sam Howell. UNC.
    Spencer Rattler. Oklahoma.
    Kedon Slovis. USC.
    Malik Willis. Liberty.
    Tyler Shough. Texas Tech.

All guaranteed 1st round picks and I'm confident one more will get drafted Carson Strong or Desmond Ridder (if not both).

This QB class is fully loaded they've been talking about it since before last year too.

Any FA's you like?

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

How can this QB class be loaded when the only thing we heard all last year was 'Jets NEED to draft a new QB THIS year, next year's QB class totally sucks!!!!'???

So were TGG posters wrong last year, or this year?

mrjet80, Noam, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  16. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol yeah I like DWC and appreciate his content, but it is kinda annoying when people just make stuff up and try to pass it off as something someone in a position of authority/influence actually said, lol. ;)o_O:(:)

Noam likes this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I’m capable of skipping his content when I want to but I won’t deny there is value. If we could just cut down on the “look at me” shit, that’d be great.

NYGANGGREEN and Noam like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I do agree with the basic premise though….it seems like JD has a strategy and plan on how to build a team.

Idzik was a total buffoon and literally fucked up a 14 player draft. Total wipeout on that one, starting with a safety.

Mac was just as bad….although he at least drafted good players with his first round picks in L Williams and J Adams and Q. Williams….at least they weren’t busts….but they were not the RIGHT players to draft in those spots. Q only served to replace Leo, so washed out a high pick….Adams well you just don’t draft safeties that high, especially when you have SO many other holes, most notably at QB…we had to start Josh McNown for Chris sakes…he ignored OL…he was just picking players but he had no vision and no plan on how to build a team

this is where JD feels different….he is focusing on OL, he has been accumulating picks, he has surrounded a young QB with weapons…you can see what his vision is….let’s fix the offense starting with OL … he’ll need to turn to defense next especially at CB unless a couple of these kids surprise us… but you can see the plan. He’s used free agency, but different than Mac…he didn’t do any over the top deals his first year….he did short term deals….granted it led to 2-14 but honestly I think he kind of knew that going in and was ok with it…housecleaning was needed. For his second year of free agency you can also see the difference from Mac….this year he did invest in bigger deals for more high profile players, but still he didn’t do crazy mega deals for older players like Mac did with Bell who was out of football for a year or Trumaine Johnson or CJ Mosley….he went with younger players banking on their growth even more so than production…he’s betting that their best years are ahead of them

it’s refreshing

We will see if it works, but it definitely feels different…and it should right? This is the first GM hire since Parcells really where the reaction to our hire was not “the Jets hired WHO??????” No one who knew anything about football would have gone with Idzik or Mac outside of Charley fucking toupee wearing fossil Casserly…at least with JD the consensus was that we hired a qualified guy who was a legit GM candidate.

not that he’s infallible, and he’s made some bad moves (most notably Robby), but in general, I think he’s done a nice job building a team

mrjet80 likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Is C really a need? McGovern could play the position for the next 5 years.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's just I'm absolutely in love with the style of play from Tyler Linderbaum out of Iowa as I believe the #1 Center within the Country and ever since my childhood days I've had either Mawae or Mangold as my Jets Center and watching McVovern play Center doesn't feel like I'm watching my Jets. I'm not sure where he ranked amongst other NFL Centers last year but I'd bet it's in the mid to high 20s.

If Tyler Linderbaum is available I don't believe Joe Douglas can pass him up just as he wasn't able to pass up on Becton/Vera-Tucker.

One thing both D'Brickishaw and Mangold lacked (outside of B.Moore who I loved) was a long-term running mate and a trio of Mekhi/Vera-Tucker/Linderbaum @ LT, LG and Center would become A+ for 10+ years.