Carl Nassib comes out.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by westiedog1, Jun 22, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

awwwww....but what happened to your lil' buddy??? :(:( I always appreciated his "schtick" lol......;););):p:D

#41 patleahy, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

yawn

patleahy likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, we are supposed to not care and be accepting. That is how far society has evolved since I can recall, which goes back to the fifties. Nevertheless, that does not include the NFL locker rooms despite all the supportive comments. I'm predicting Nassib doesn't make his roster or any other this season. He played for 5 undistinguished seasons. I never heard of the guy until this week. He signed a 25m (16m guaranteed) contract so he's set for life there, and as you say he'll be a celebrity. It was a good time for him to make his announcement, but I also think it signals his exit from the NFL. Of course, teams will justify not keeping him on the roster by saying they didn't want the distraction.

4. patleahy

make sure u tell him I said hi ;););)

@westiedog1 as usual excellent post. I agree with all of your points, but I hope it doesn't signal the end of his career. Nassib has actually had his moments as an NFL player.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

KingRoach and patleahy like this.
  6. patleahy

My point exactly, byz. Thanks for backing me up. I was humble enough to admit that I was wrong and that my source was incorrect, which is what BrowningNagle should have done with his post.

7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I dunno about that. In this political climate, he'll have stay on an active roster, and probably play quite a few snaps, unless the Raiders want to get accused of homophobia. I'm sure the SJWs are hoping that happens, because nothing makes them happier than when they're angry and offended.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Guess I wasn't the only one getting those type PMs from him.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I look at the Michael Sam case and wonder how a player wins the following awards: All American, First Team All-SEC, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and then gets drafted in the 7th round. Subsequent to that, he fails to make the roster of two NFL teams. As my H.S. chemistry teacher used to say: "there's something rotten in the State of Denmark and it's not the Swiss Cheese." I know that was seven years ago but has anything changed in the NFL other than providing lip service to the LBTGQ community? I'm not so sure.

BrowningNagle and patleahy like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Being great in college is no guarantee of doing the same in the NFL. Teams must've believed his skills wouldn't translate at the next level. I don't believe his sexual orientation was the reason he was picked in the last round.

patleahy likes this.
  11. Linebacker712

To be fair, there were Heisman trophy winners who didn't get drafted until the late rounds, and one (Jason White) even went undrafted. The assessment of Sam was that he was too small to play his natural tackle position, but too slow to play outside linebacker in the NFL. Had it not been for his sexuality, nobody would have batted an eye at his not making it in the NFL.

12. patleahy

Good point @CotcheryFan there was a lot of concern for his size...he was considered a classic "tweener"....his performance at the combine also left a lot to be desired as well.

13. patleahy

@westiedog1 I understand what you are saying regarding Sam, and you definitely raise valid points, however the culture of the entire country has changed drastically over the course of the past 7 years.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Good for you
    You sound like you care a lot. Take a page from the other guy I quoted who doesn’t care.
    We should just accept them but it doesn’t always work out like that.
    It sure does… some other idiot in a post I quoted thinks that no one cares about this type of stuff anymore.

15. KingRoach

Seeing how Carl is the first openly gay player in the NFL, that makes sense.

patleahy likes this.
  16. Linebacker712

I mean I don't care that he's gay. What I do care about is them losing the sight of what the NFL is about, which is professional football, in order for it to just be yet another vehicle for virtue signalling. Given the trends recently, that's all they're going to talk about.

17. KingRoach

I had to google this term Bc I don’t watch Fox News:
    vir·tue sig·nal·ing
    noun
    1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

seems better than the current trend of politicians of saying stupid stuff going as far inciting riots.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The other guys pointed out the fact that college accolades mean very little in terms of skill translating to the NFL.

But if I remember correctly, a lot of players and coaches in the locker room took issue with Michael Sam because he wasn't working hard and was more interested in creating a brand as a result of coming out. He signed a deal with the Oprah Network I believe right away for a reality show and wasn't trying that hard to make the team.

Jason White won the Heisman and went in the late rounds. I don't think he ever played an NFL snap.

patleahy likes this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Keep that shit in the politics thread.

Like others have said, Sam and Nassib are in completely different situations. Hopefully Nassib coming out allows for others in the league to feel more comfortable and actually open up and be able to be who they are, not hide it because of the backlash they could get.

patleahy likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sam was too small for the NFL. He was a great college player though you are right