Zach Wilson and lack of pocket pressure at BYU

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 4, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, they may not, but imo they're going to have to find it somewhere. We didn't get into this mess in just one year, and we're not getting out of it in one year. What are the alternatives? Being negative, cynical, and quitting on the team right when things are turning around, just when things can finally start getting interesting and fun? Hiring airplanes and renting billboards and running off both the best GM we've had in a long time, if not ever, and potentially the best CS (overall) that we've had since Parcells, and maybe one of the best ever?

As you pointed out so well, we could be starting a slew of rookies and we could also be starting several 1st year players. We will be one of the youngest teams, if not THE youngest team in the NFL. We all know that rookies and young players play with a lot of energy. They make some mistakes, but they also make some wow plays. We have a dynamic, charismatic HC who is full of energy, and is a great coach. There will be some adjustment as the offense learns the new system, but it is a much better and more friendly system than the crap we've been running for the last 3-4 years, and if LaFleur is anything like his brother, the offense should be exciting and put up more points than we have in a long time. There will also be some adjustments on defense, but we will have more talent, more speed and more playmaking ability than we've had in maybe 40 years. We should have the first honest-to-God pass rush we've had since the days of Sean Ellis and Jon Abraham. If anyone can't get excited and hopeful about Q. Williams, Lawson, Curry, Rankins, JFM and Huff getting after opposing QBs, then I think someone needs to check their pulse, because they may be dead already.

Some of the young players may not develop or pan out, and with others it may take half the season or the whole season, but we legitimately have reason for the first time since Rex was hired to be genuinely excited and hopeful. I am still in a state of shock that JD has been able to assemble as much talent as he has already and how perfectly things fell for us in the draft this year and FA. I don't care about the media hype. I'm excited because of all the positivity and energy around the Jets, because we seemingly have at a bare minimum a competent professional GM running the show, and he appears to have hired the perfect HC, and he in turn assembled a very good, if not great staff. If it all goes to shit, it all goes to shit, and all the worrying in the world won't prevent it. I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Those who refuse to get excited may stay "safe" in the long run, but they'll miss out on a lot of the fun, and may wind up kicking themselves in the rear in a year or two for being so stubborn, cynical and pessimistic and for missing out on the fun the rest of us have had.

#61 NCJetsfan, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    cval, K'OB and Noam like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree.

RB: Najee Harris. 1st Rd.
    WR: Jaylen Waddle. 1st Rd.
    WR: De'Vonta Smith. 1st Rd.
    OL: Alex Leatherwood. 1st Rd.
    OL: Landon Dickerson. 2nd round.
    OL: Evan Neal (2022 guaranteed 1st Rd).
    WR; John Metchie III (2022 guaranteed 1st Rd).

Which is probably why ever since dating back to Bart Starr/Joe Namath just about every Alabama NFL QB has absolutely sucked ass; because they can not adjust to an 'even playing field' once leaving Bama'.

Compared to... BYU.

OL: Brady Christensen. 3rd round.
    WR: Dax Milne. 7th round.

It'll be hard for anyone to convince me, that these two guys (above) "made" Zach Wilson.

Heck, dating back to 1938, Zach Wilson is one of only 6 BYU Offensive players who've (ever) been drafted during the 1st round...

He's one of only 6, All-Time? Freak. It feels like Alabama/Ohio State/Clemson produces at least 5-6 1st round players damn near every year.

#62 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    azhar80, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well said.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I like Zach, I just fear for his physical safety. 5-8 and 160 lbs isn't very big for an NFL QB.....:(:(:(

5. NCJetsfan

5'8" and 160 lbs?????????????????

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

LOL.....that is what Legler told me....:(

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Kyler Murray is 4-8 and 104 lbs, so I wouldn't worry too much about Zach.

8. patleahy

lol well played, @HomeoftheJets , well-played.....

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He gets smaller and smaller as his legend grows.

Cman68 and patleahy like this.
  10. patleahy

LOL @Jets81 EXACTLY haha....by the time the season starts he will be even "teenier-tinier" than he is now. :eek: On a serious note, your post was actually quite amusing, lol. Well-done. :)

#70 patleahy, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Jets81 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I mean I was shocked when patleahy said 5'8" and 160 lbs. I had heard that he was only 5' and 125 lbs soaking wet.

Noam and patleahy like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

You mean that Legler made him bigger? I thought he was only 5' and 125 lbs. soaking wet.

Noam and patleahy like this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

That kid is pretty special believe it or not faster 40 than both Vick and Jackson 4.31 speed demon, with an arm, who can scramble and run for his life and then hail marry a 60-70 yards bomb on the run towards the sidelines and into the end zone vs Buffalo with 0:00 seconds left to DeAndre Hopkins for a walk off HR. So much fun to watch backyard sandlot style of play with a gun slingers mentality and not afraid to let it rip or turn on the Jets dual threat to a T.

14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this "frail" nonsense again...

patleahy likes this.
  15. Losmeister

see jack, you dead

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Love it! I had never heard that before. Thanks!

Losmeister likes this.
  17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Yup he wore padded timbs at the combine

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Remove the custome orthotics and were at 5ā€™7.

I also heard they measured to the highest spike in his hair. Dude might actually be 5ā€™5.

NCJetsfan, Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Iā€™m not worried. The look of determination on Wilsons face says it all. Kids a baller.

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12, azhar80, NoodleArm and 3 others like this.
  20. Losmeister

you got no red corpuscles!