Guys To Watch in Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jun 21, 2021.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Heck no. Did you not see the right side of our O-Line last year? It was the worst it's ever been in Franchise history man.

Our right side reminded me of an NYC Van-Rotten apple.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I have a lovely image of him telling Gase he was an incompetent cunt.

If true, he would go up in my estimation hugely lol

blackssmagic, Mogriffjr and Noam like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Less is always more. Much more in some cases, cough cough. This board is for discussion, giant blocks of text clog the discussion. I didn’t tag you here to take a swipe at you, consider it constructive criticism. I thought you could use a good example of how to start a discussion. I know it will fall on deaf ears but I try.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, good breakdown. I think this could be the first year in awhile where other teams will be excited to claim some players the Jets eventually release after Training Camp.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. K'OB

It is a sad sad man.

bicketybam, Noam and FJF like this.
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Hope you're right because I love me some Feeney. I should have included him in the original post. I only lean Cam Clarke because I want to see guys we drafted hit.

matt robinson 17 and K'OB like this.
  7. K'OB

Nothing wrong with that, I always try and be positive for them, probably long after we know they are rubbish lol
    Clarke could be anything, so little info out there about how he has done.

#27 K'OB, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    tomdeb and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Still would not surprise me if they move Crowder before the opener. Moore, Berrios and Cole can all play the slot, and Crowder could fetch a decent pick if some team is hit with a major injury at WR this summer. His trade value is still high and the Vikings are interested. Not advocating it or saying it WILL happen, only saying it would not surprise me. I don't see any of the fringe WR you mention after the top 6 staying if they keep Crowder.

Switching to TE, I really hope they don't keep Daniel Brown. He can't catch and his special team prowess is overrated. He committed a penalty on the opening play of the opening game last year (the kickoff) which cost the jets about 30 yards--not much to ask of a player on the first play of the season to try not to commit a penalty. :rolleyes:

9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Crowder can’t play outside and Moore isn’t going to be a strictly outside player either. At least one of Mims and Cole will play a lot.

10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Worst in franchise history? Lol you’re the KING of hyperbole.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Please tell me a previous right side of a former Jets O-Line who combined to be worse than all 3 of Van-Roten (RG) and Fant/Edoga (RT).

NY Jets: 29th (PFF)
    "Overall, however, it was a disappointing season for the offensive line in New York. They allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 28% of their dropbacks — the worst rate in the NFL. The line wasn’t creating many lanes in the run game, either. The Jets averaged just 1.1 yards per carry before contact per rushing attempt in 2020 (30th). Once again, they’ll have to look to add pieces to their offensive line this offseason".

Yes. 2020's right side was (one of) the worst right sides in O-Line Franchise history (because Becton looked awesome throughout 12 games on the left side) and even Wayne Hunter looked better than those trainwrecks.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Very interesting. If that's how it turns out, that's very risky at QB and at LB. I'd be surprised if JD gives up on Morgan this quickly. If Mosely goes down, Davis can move to the middle, but who plays SAM??? Cashman will undoubtedly wind up on IR. Nasirildeen and Sherwood are fine for WLB and both can also play SS, but I think we need another SAM LB on the roster. What if Davis gets hurt? I think 7 CBs is too many. Even so, no Austin? We don't need 3 slot CBs in Guidry, Carter II and Echols. I'd cut Echols and put him on the PS if they like him that much.

Only 3 TEs is kind of risky too, with Yeboah being inexperienced, and Herndon potentially ineffective. I understand why they would keep 5 DEs, but that hurts. IMO we need to have only 4 there, particularly since we're keeping 5 DTs as well and JFM can play the Edge as well. Still as it is, Phillips would be a casualty as would Shepherd. Both might go on the PS, as Jeff Smith might, Tristen Hoge, and Cam Clark.

Since the schedule is expanding to 17 games, I thought the roster was expanding as well. Is it not? The NFL is fucked up. A 53-man roster is just too small, and only having 45 active (or whatever it is) on game day is equally stupid. If they're on the roster they should be active and available.

No doubt about it, there are going to be some tough cuts.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

There WILL be some tough cuts, especially on the DL. Read that Shepherd has looked good this spring. Probably like everyone else, I am still nervous as to backup QB. They would not seriously go with either White or Morgan, would they? Lastly, it would not surprise me if TE Herndon gets cut. Probably won't happen, but eventually "potential" has to move to "performance, " and he is running out of time.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good question, Tom. If Saleh can be believed, then yes, the would go with either Morgan or White as the backup. He said that there's no reason to except for the Coach's comfort. He believes in teaching and developing players, and I LOVE that! I think there's a good chance that they try to go with Morgan or White, and only look to bring in a vet if Morgan and White just can't cut it in TC. It is a rebuilding year, so it makes some sense. Still, they don't want to hold the progress back of the offense and team should the unthinkable happen and Zach get injured and have to miss a number of games.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Really an intriguing thread for me because it creates for so many different ideas of thoughts into this roster so I'd like to first start off by zooming into our offense and who we'd consider our core group of Jets in order to rank my top training camp battle.

QB: Zach Wilson.
    LT: Mekhi Becton.
    WR: Elijah Moore.
    WR: Denzel Mims.
    WR: Corey Davis.
    WR: Jamison Crowder.
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker.
    RB (1): Michael Carter.

There really aren't too many starting position opportunities available for a lot of these kids heading into training camp outside of 4 open spots and mostly all on the O-Line too (C-RG-RT-TE).

Offensive-Line is going to become my favorite competition battles come training camp so the pressure is on with all eyes on McGovern, Van Roten, Fant, Edoga, Feeney, Cameron Clark who we're all pulling for and then @ TE with Herndon, Yeboah and Kroft.

In closing I wont sleep on Keelan Cole @ WR on making a run and imo @ RB Michael Carter just became both of JD and Saleh's prized RB steal of the 4th round therefore I can't picture any other back starting over Michael Carter (as a breath of fresh air after Frank Gore and for fan base starved of a Running Back since Curtis Martin of 2007.

Joe Douglas has really already done an outstanding job of turning our offense around within an NY minute just look at it has his finger prints written all over it and he's only just getting started too it's nuts he's got another 5 picks throughout the first 3 rounds come 2022's draft.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think Echols has versatility and can play slot or outside. One corner will be Hardee who will be exclusively a ST player, Wesco would be a 4th TE and FB. I agree putting Morgan on the PS seems risky.

But, what I like about the article is it makes one think about how tough the choices are and how volatile and fluid the bottom of the roster is. In the above scenario Bless and Campbell both get cut. That is how tough the choices will be.

#36 Noam, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. K'OB

Does it matter who the backup QB is really?

If we need one it means the season has gone to shit anyway and Wilson has been broken or in a worst worst case scenario is Hack 2.0.

It is time we created our own backups that people fantasize about and then offer us round 2 picks for every couple of years. :D

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. It is not 1999 and we are not a SB contender with Rick Mirer as our backup. Who cares who the backup is. If ZW goes down it does not matter. Roll the cap money for a backup into next year and give white and Morgan the extra practice reps.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Uh, ok. I agree that the season is lost if Wilson goes down. But if goes down in week 1, it will be a VERY long season IMO if Morgan or White start 16 games. Remember Luke Falk from 2019? Started three games when Sam had mono and Sieman was hurt. Falk was so bad the jets cut him shortly after his third failed start. A quality backup QB might not get us to the playoffs if Wilson goes down, but he would go a long ways to help in the development of Moore. Mims, Carter etc. If Zack goes down and Morgan starts, you are basically wasting an entire season for the jets young offensive stars too. I did not like the Morgan pick when made, and I hope Douglas does not stay with him as the #2QB just because he drafted him (unless Morgan HAS a great training camp). But as you said, we are screwed if Wilson gets hurt.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Who knew we had a, "we can only succeed with Zack Wilson" offense?

So the season is over if Zack gets hurt? I thought this season was about developing and improving.

How many combined NFL starts does our QB room currently have? The idea that we don't need a veteran QB on the roster is a good way to flush the season and a lot of player development down the toilet.

If an experienced game manager couldn't take over and have some success at QB then that means our offense stinks, and all the Zack Wilson's in the world wouldn't change it.