NYJ drafted us 3 of the most explosive (and productive) players coming out in Wilson/Elijah/Carter.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

1 4th (We have Carolina’s; Seattle has ours)
    2 5ths
    3 6ths

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Crazy, right.

And just think (just on offense) throughout JD's first two NFL drafts he's potentially provided us with 6 cornerstone players.

QB: Zach Wilson (1st round).
    LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round).
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round).
    WR: Elijah Moore (2nd round).
    WR: Denzel Mims (2nd round).
    RB: Michael Carter (4th round, steal).

My 2021 dream scenario is for...

A.) Our younger CBs to impress within Saleh's zone coverage Defense.

And

B.) Both Carl Lawson (4-3 DE) and Quinnen Williams (4-3) DT emerge as absolute QB nightmares.

In order to avoid being FORCED to draft both Edge and CB early and often.

Why?

Because JD would then be able to continue providing Zach Wilson with Offensive talent needed in order to reach potential Franchise QB status

(while providing our Jets fan base with the most electric Offensive attack we've ever experienced).

1st round: Best available OT in order to protect Zach Wilson from the outside @ RT (Evan Neal of Alabama is who I'm dreaming about). With Mekhi Becton @ LT, an awesome pass protecting LG @ LG and a Franchise OT @ RT in Neal? Zach Wilson would never be touched.

1st round: Playmaking TE (I'm already in love with Jalen Wydermyer who finished only behind Kyle Pitts in All-SEC TE votes last year).
    Kelce @ TE has helped Patrick Mahomes more than any other player, including Tyreek Hill (imo).

2nd round: Another WR in order to replace Jamison Crowder (in stride) while also watching JD go 2nd round WR throughout 3 consecutive drafts (x3) and why not? This 2022 WR draft class is absolutely loaded and with 6-8 projected 1st round QBs at least one of these beast WR such as Chris Olave (Ohio State), George Pickens (Georgia), Justyn Ross (WR), Garrett Wilson (Ohio State) or John Metchie III (Alabama) will sneak into the 2nd round (as did Elijah Moore).

2nd Round: Another game breaking RB. Yes. I know we drafted Michael Carter, who I'm A+ excited for but he's a smaller/quicker RB who split carries @ UNC with Javonte Williams (in order to stay healthy, fresh and explosive). If one of either Isaiah Spiller (Texas A&M), Breece Hall (Iowa State) and/or Master Teague III (Ohio State) are staring @ us right in the face? If I'm JD I pull the trigger immediately in order to provide Zach Wilson with an elite 1-2 punch @ RB and behind a nasty O-Line too.

And from there?

Let coach Robert Saleh convince JD on which Defensive players he needs throughout the 3rd, 4th, 5th (x2) and 6th rounds (x3) with our 7 remaining picks (all focused on DEFENSE) ala 2021 Pt.2.

Come the 2022 season our Offense will be ready to rock and roll for 2nd year Wilson while coach Saleh coaches up his young Defense.

PS: And by ignoring Defense in order to focus on Offense throughout the 1st two rounds? JD can make up for it by using a boat load of available salary cap space on DEFENSE throughout Free Agency.

#142 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  3. KingRoach

Saleh’s D relies on fresh linemen and JD has mentioned many times the importance of building through the trenches.

In the las 7 years the 49ers have drafted:
    DT,DE,DE,OT.DE,DT,QB Notice a pattern?

The 2022 draft class is going to have a handful of vicious Edges and I don’t see JD passing on one as he likes to build through the trenches and have depth on the DL. SF is so deep, Dee Ford isn’t even listed as a starter on their depth chart.

It’s disappointing you’re giving up on Fant before the start of his 2nd season as a starter… ever. Not HS, not college, not his years in Seattle. His first year as a starting OT was last year. He’s a basketball player with the quickness made for a zone scheme. IMO sans our first 2 round picks, he’s the unproven player most likely to flourish this year. I’m all for bringing in Morgan Moses who’s played both LT and RT on an NFL level to add depth to the line, people talking about rotating the DL to keep them fresh and I’m a big fan of the idea of doing the same for the OL.

I can say with 100% certainty our first 4 picks next year will be: Edge, TBD, TBD, TBD.

My dream scenario: we take Seattle’s #14 and our #22 and trade up to take Kayvon Thibodeaux.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At this point, I pretty much trust JD completely. I think I'll be happy whatever he does. Unless JFM, Bryce Huff or Zabari Zuniga prove to be a revelation at DE, I agree that it is most likely that our first #1 pick in 2022 will be used on a DE. I'd rather not have to trade up again, but if JD does to get Thibodeaux I won't complain unless he doesn't pan out. Similarly, unless Dunn and/or Pinnock prove that we don't need to take a CB high, I think it likely that we draft a CB in the 1st two rounds.

I don't think we need to take a RT in the 1st round. If we do, fine, but I think we could probably get a very good RT in the 2nd round if Fant doesn't prove to be up to the task. Some have said that he doesn't handle speed rushers (or was it bull rushers?) very well, and he isn't a great run blocker. I think we'd be better off with Moses at RT for a few years and Fant as the swing tackle. RG could be a big priority if whomever wins the starting job doesn't play well and Clark doesn't look ready.

In terms of other offensive players, the only way I think JD will take another WR high would be if Mims doesn't develop or Davis doesn't play well, or if Cole doesn't play as well as the Jets think he will. I think TE will be a bigger priority unless Yeboah proves to be a revelation, and depending upon what happens with Davis, Mosely, Nasirildeen/Sherwood, LB could be a much bigger priority.

I don't how big the priority will be or in what round, but at this point, I think it most likely that with our 11 picks, JD will draft a DE, a TE, an OT (either to start at RT or be the swing OT), OG/C starter or depth, LB, CB, WR, RB/FB, a K if Naggar doesn't work out, and probably trade up once. He'll probably use FA to upgrade the LB and OL depth and maybe to sign a TE.

#144 NCJetsfan, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    KingRoach likes this.
  5. KingRoach

I hear good things about the A&M TE but I can’t think of a single TE taken in the 1st who’s been a quality starter.

Even if Huff, Zuniga, Phillips, and JFN all flash I think JD takes an Edge if one of the top ones are on the board. Imagine a line of Lawson on one side and a Bosa-esque player on the other side.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

My favorite TE All-Time is Tony Gonzalez (1st round pick).

Some other really good one's, not great but really good were Dallas Clark, Todd Heap, Heath Miller, Greg Olsen and Vernon Davis.

And both of Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson look really good right now too.

However, I'll give it to you KR. I'll admit. You make an excellent point because historically speaking?

Shannon Sharpe = 7th round.
    Antonio Gates = Undrafted.
    Jason Witten = 3rd round.
    Jimmy Graham = 3rd round.
    Rob Gronkowski = 2nd round.
    Zach Ertz = 2nd round.
    Darren Waller = 6th round.
    Travis Kelce = 3rd round.
    George Kittle = 5th round.

Etc.

I will say this though (although I agree with you).

Jalen Wydermyer earned 2× Second team All-SEC honors (2019, 2020) and finished behind Kyle Pitts x2 (2019, 2020). I believe he's going to absolutely destroy the SEC this year.

I'd first like to see how Kyle Pitts translates into the NFL as a Rookie alongside of Matt Ryan, but if Jalen Wydermyer has a better 2021 than Pitts had 2020? And Kyle Pitts himself destroys the NFL as a Rookie? It's going to be hard to convince me that this kid Jalen, who's a freak of nature @ 6'5/265 lbs; wouldn't be worthy of a 1st round pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. KingRoach

I admit, I take JW with one of my 2nd round picks when I do the Fanspeak draft simulator.

It usually goes:
    Edge Kayvon Thibodeaux
    CB Kaiir Elam
    OG Kenyon Green or
    TE Jalen Wydermyer

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Thnx you for that. That's an awesome draft simulator man.

I loaded up on Offense (early and often) in order to focus on Defense throughout the first 4 rounds of 2023. 2022 was more important to complete our Offense by giving Zach Wilson as much help as possible.

3: R1 P3 OT Evan Neal - Alabama

29: R1 P29 C Tyler Linderbaum - Iowa

35: R2 P3 TE Jalen Wydermyer - Texas A&M

45: R2 P13 WR George Pickens - Georgia

67: R3 P3 CB Josh Jobe - Alabama

115: R4 P13 RB Kyren Williams - Notre Dame

145: R5 P3 EDGE Christopher Allen - Alabama

164: R5 P22 LB Amari Gainer - Florida State

182: R6 P3 DL Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa - Notre Dame

194: R6 P15 EDGE K.J. Henry - Clemson

210: R6 P31 CB Jaydon Hill - Florida

2022's OFFENSE.

QB: Zach Wilson (1st round).

LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round).
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round).
    C: Tyler Linderbaum (1st round).
    RG: George Fant (undrafted).
    RT: Evan Neal (1st round).

WR: Corey Davis (1st round).
    WR: Denzel Mims (1st round).
    WR: Elijah Moore (2nd round).
    WR: George Pickens (2nd round).
    WR: Braxton Berrios (the underdog).

TE: Jalen Wydermyer (2nd round).

RB Michael Carter (4th round). 1-2 punch.
    RB: Kyren Williams (4th round) 1-2 punch.

Thoughts on that Offense overall from top to bottom?

I absolutely love it.

• Potential Franchise QB on a Rookie contract.

• An All-Star O-Line featuring 4 invested 1st round draft picks (playing in their 3rd year, 2nd year, two Rookies with an athletic Fant @ RG).

• An absolutely fully loaded WR room.

• A freakish starting TE.

• An electric 1-2 punch @ RB.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Bang, Headshot!

Dude is right handed but yet catches a one handed back shoulder with his left hand?!?

Kid is the Offensive STEAL of the draft.

10. NCJetsfan

Part of the reason that there haven't been many TEs drafted in the 1st round is that traditionally, they were mostly blockers. There were exceptions, but they were more of a safety valve or after thought rather than principle weapon or integral part of the offense. In the Shanahan system, TE is a major part of the offense. It wouldn't surprise me if JD used a 1st round pick on Wydermyer if he looks worthy.

11. NCJetsfan

Moreso than Moore? I don't think so.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well Elijah Moore was pretty much a 1st round pick (2nd overall pick of the 2nd round). I was even screaming for Elijah Moore dating back to December of last year (2020).

Michael Carter? Bro.

This kid slipped into the 4th ROUND despite ranking 4th in the Country in rushing yards behind only Breece Hall (guaranteed 1st-2nd round pick 2022), Sincere McCormick and Najee Harris (1st round pick) and also ranked #1 within the Country in average yards per Rushing Attempt (8.0 yards per pop). Also an excellent dual threat catching out of the Backfield.

Yes. Michael Carter (despite how much I'm in awe over Elijah Moore) looks to be the Offensive STEAL of the draft!

13. NCJetsfan

You may be right. I was just surprised since you love Moore so much, and I think that most people (at least the Jets fans on Twitter that follow the draft) were all shocked that Moore fell to the 2nd round and the Jets were able to get him. Was it you that said that Jags fans were crying because the Jags took an injured CB instead of Moore. Also, don't forget that JD said that they had him rated as a top 15 player. Carter was rated as a 3rd round pick by most, and a bottom of the 2nd by some. He fell a little further, but was rated a lot lower than Moore.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. Jacksonville fans fell off a cliff once they passed on Elijah Moore for a CB (my neighbor down here in Florida is a big Jaguars fan right so every morning when we're taking out our trash I'll ask him, "how's your CB doing and did you see Elijah Moore's highlights yesterday" and he always responds with "I hate Trent Baalke" lol it's so funny).

But yeah nonetheless regardless of who's considered the early NFL offseason steals it's going to be electric watching a Jets Offense with Michael Carter and Elijah Moore flying all around the field (these two players remind me of two State of Florida legends in Dalvin Cook and Santana Moss).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If Bryce Hall becomes a long term starter and the other rookie CBs play well this year we might go into the draft next year with all those picks and very few needs especially considering the amount of money we will have to spend in FA before the draft. It is something that is hard to imagine.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes, and when you look at the amazing amount of talent and starters (23 new players via FA & the draft that will likely make the team, and 12-13 of them could be starters), and that doesn't even include UDFAs, the talent he added last year, it's both amazing and exciting. We've been so used to crappy GMs missing on most of their picks and we were conditioned to believe that it might take 4-5 drafts for us to become even competitive. Now, it's conceivable that we could become a true contender in 3 years, and a playoff team in 2 years. How does one not get excited about the potential and the team and CS that are being assembled?

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I totally agree. So many young players who need reps. I would be pretty happy with 5 or 6 wins this year as long as Zach looks legit. But, next year after a year of evaluating the FO can fill in the holes and they have the salary cap money and draft capital to do it. Maybe I am drinking too much Jet koolaid but in 2022 we could suddenly be very very good.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. And if JD can manage to pull off Morgan Moses @ RT? That completely changes our draft needs heading into 2022.

Because I've personally been mocking Evan Neal of Alabama OT 1st round to us in order to protect Zach Wilson with both Becton and an elite RT.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I love the idea of signing Moses but I would like to see us add our center of the future in next year's draft. Suddenly, we would have a very solid OL.

Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

And @Noam speaking of an insane amount of available salary cap space?

I'm not sure which one's will actually hit the FA market, but..

T.J Watt (Edge rusher).
    Stephon Gilmore (CB).
    Chandler Jones (Edge rusher).
    Davante Adams (WR).
    Chris Godwin (WR).
    JuJu Smith-Schuster (WR).
    Fred Warner (best LB in Football).
    Brandon Scherff (Guard).
    Saquon Barkley (RB).
    Nick Chubb (RB).
    Orlando Brown Jr. (OT).
    Allen Robinson (WR).
    Mark Andrews (TE).
    Mike Gesicki (TE).
    Tyranny Matthieu (Safety).

I'd literally make room within our roster for any one of these players!

It's pretty exciting to have a projected $71,650,848 in available salary cap space (#3) in comparison to let's just say Buffalo for example #28th with only $1,054,831 (while still having to pay their JOSH ALLEN).

A+ draft picks?
    A+ available salary cap space?

Wow.

Brook! likes this.