Jets and Crowder negotiations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jun 4, 2021.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The Shanahan system is a run first system. While they may use some 4 WR sets, it certainly won’t be the norm.

Drafting another WR in the first 2 rounds next year is a definite “no”.

If you think our #4 WR deserves $10mm/yr then we simply have fundamental differences on how the salary cap should be managed.

You’re a Moore fan but you want him to “prove himself” first. I dare say our CS may have a better opportunity to evaluate him. Maybe we have a faster Antonio Brown or a Tyreek Hill with bigger hands.

I’m dumbfounded by the people who justify paying our #4 WR $10mm/yr because we’re paying Trumaine Johnson $8mm. Shouldn’t our history of bad contracts be a reason NOT to pay Crowder?

Fiftynine, PJ4Ever, Noam and 2 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's rich coming from you, the poster child for reading comprehension issues! And how ironic that in your very post where you try to accuse me of a reading comprehension issue, you have yet another reading comprehension issue where you misquote me.

It still wouldn't be a "MEH" WR group because one of them got injured. Your takes are really over the top, and many of them, just like this one, have zero basis in fact or reality.

I also didn't say that JD must move Crowder in order to sign Moses or someone else. Again, you're making up shit simply because you cannot process accurately what someone else writes. You need to quit. There's an old saying that goes something like, "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!"

#62 NCJetsfan, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    NYGANGGREEN and Noam like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And so it starts again.

4. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

1000%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Since when is our WR1 our WR4? Or is this another hot take based on three tweets from training camp stating that Moore is ready for Canton? Are we trusting “training bike” Mims to fill the gap or the other guys that have never seen an NFL snap? I still find it shocking that we’ve all lived through Tanny, Idzik and Macc and the draftniks still think we can cut veterans because someone once took it to the house against the Toronto Argonauts.

The rookie flag-wavers from last season are still telling me that Cam Clark is ready to start (he isn’t), Morgan is a trustworthy back up (he isn’t) and the less said about Perine the better.

We should assume that our rookie class are not going to be anything more than average because they usually aren’t. If they amount to anything then trade Crowder before the deadline, not now.

#65 ConcordeChops, Jun 14, 2021
    REVISion, ouchy, Lon Chaney and 7 others like this.
  6. KingRoach

Since when? Since we gave a sizable contract to Davis. Since the WR we woulda taken at 23 was available at 34. If you think Crowder is our #1, you haven’t been paying attention.

Trade him? Who tf would trade for Crowder’s bloated contract?

Are you really comparing Moore to a couple of 4th round picks? Can you not see the difference?

Are you really comparing JD to Tanny, Izdik, and Mac? Can you not see the difference?

Please share the tweet where someone says Moore is ready for Canton, I’d hate to think you’re making things up to reinforce your “point”.

NYGANGGREEN, PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I've heard it all before. JD is the new savior. The rookies will hit the ground running so we can cut the veterans. This time we've got it right. It's almost like the last 50 years never happened.

I'll see you in Week 8 during the TGG annual meltdown. Being on here in pre-season is like being stuck in the first circle of Hell.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

First and foremost please let's stop pretending as if Jamison Crowder isn't considered as an NFL top 1-3 slot receiver.

Have you not watched him make playmaking plays throughout the previous two years as a JET while forced to play for Adam Gase (and Loggains) while also being surrounded by absolute crap @ QB/O-Line/WR/RB; but yet still been able to record 137 Receptions for 1,532 Receiving yards along with 12 TD Receptions and a 64.9% catch rate?

And to be fair, I love Denzel Mims potential but as a rookie he only recorded 23 Receptions and 0 TDs with a catch rate percentage of only 52.3%.

And as much as I've raved about Elijah Moore (dating back to December of 2020) he's still just a rookie who's yet to line up and take a single NFL snap; and there is nothing wrong with a Rookie Receiver developing alongside of and learning alongside of one of the NFL's very best slot receivers (in Jamison Crowder).

And Keelan Cole? Dude is 1 year older than Jamison Crowder but yet can not wash his jockstrap in terms of NFL impact and production. Same goes for Braxton Berrios; he can not compare nor compete against Jamison Crowder.

And more importantly? Zach Wilson (because unfortunately, injuries happen in Football, especially to WR's; just ask Jets fans on how, that goes...).

I do agree about Corey Davis. He's going to finally get an opportunity to become a #1 outside WR without having to be buried within a Tennessee run 1st Derrick Henry Offense which ranked 31st, 31st and 30th in Passing Attempts throughout his previous 3 years (kid is the only NCAA WR to ever record over 300+ receptions, 5,000+ receiving yards and 50+ TD Receptions; which is why he went 5th overall coming out).

Corey Davis.
    Denzel Mims.
    Elijah Moore.
    Jamison Crowder.

That's a core group of 4 that I'm extremely excited about and to throw away Jamison Crowder right before the start of 2021 despite currently ranking 3rd in available offseason salary cap space and 3rd next year in available salary cap space would become disheartening (to say the least).

If you want to throw away an awesome Jamison Crowder all because of "cap space" in order to see more of lol Braxton Berrios (6th round), Jeff Smith (undrafted), Vyncint Smith (undrafted), Lawrence Cager (undrafted) and/or more of Josh Malone (11 career Receptions despite being drafted 2017) well then go right ahead; but always keep in mind...

Zach Wilson is on the line here.

(N.E didn't throw away Edelman, all because they already had Wes Welker...)

#68 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 14, 2021
  9. KingRoach

I don’t recall anyone saying Mac, Idzic, or Gase were good hires so I’m not sure where the whole “I’ve heard it all before” thing comes from.

I’m not sure where I’ll be week 8 but week 9 and every other home game I’ll be in the 2nd row in the mezzanine of the club section.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. KingRoach

Id rather have Crowder than not have him but I don’t think paying over market value is smart in a salary cap league. A salary cap which rolls over.

Cole is 2 months older than Crowder. Not a year… 2 months. Crowder has 2 more years football experience and has always had a better QB throwing to him.

You repeatedly mention these 4 WR sets but that’s not the type of offense we’re running this year.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and yes, if we keep Crowder we’ll have the best #4 WR in the NFL but I’m not convinced it’s the best way to spend our limited resources.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I strongly disagree because unlike San Francisco, our Jets don't have a top 2 NFL TE in George Kittle and/or the NFL's #1 Playmaking Fullback in Kyle Juszczyk;

So the ways Mike LaFleur was able to utilize SF's offense will become way different here with the Jets.

Meaning that he'll get his best players on the field @ the same time ala plenty of 4 WR sets with Davis/Mims/Elijah/Crowder.

And @ Ole' Miss, Elijah Moore lined up in the Backfield a lot while coming out as a pass catcher and Mike LaFleur is very creative so we'll probably be seeing a lot of Davis/Mims on the outside, Crowder working the slot and Elijah Moore coming out of the Backfield taking advantage of LBs in pass coverage.

But yes. We don't have a George Kittle/Kyle Juszczyk so therefore (imo) Mike LaFleur will be forced to become creative while using (a lot of) 4 WR sets (and rightfully so).

12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Based upon their past stats, camp reports, and PFF ratings, I think there are good reasons to believe that Davis, Moore, and Cole will produce as competent NFL receivers this year. We've all seen over the last two years that Crowder is a good NFL receiver.

I hate to say it but I'm starting to question whether Mims is ready to break out this year. In addition to his longstanding difficulties in getting separation, another red flag is that he's spent a lot of time on the sidelines with injury and illness his first year plus. It seems to me that the reliable WR rotation to begin the year would be Davis, Moore, and Crowder, with Mims and Cole as rotation players. Mims could get more snaps as he stays healthy and refines his routes.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Mims' start has definitely been disappointing and surprising. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, and it sounds like you aren't, either. Hopefully, he will be a full go at mandatory mini-camp and will light it up in TC. With his character and this CS, I don't see how he can fail. He has a great work ethic. He beat some of the top CBs in the NFL last year and got open, but Sam didn't look for him. I think his difficulties in getting separation are overblown.

joelip likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Separation may or may not be overblown but his injury history thus far has not. We hear great things out of OTAs from Moore, Cole, Berrios and not much out of Mims. I think he needs to have a good and injury free camp to get the starting nod and ease the Jets fan worries. The good thing is mini camp and training camp has not started yet.

K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Don't you forget about this beast...

[​IMG]

cval likes this.
  16. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Details to be revealed, I guess, but good news.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Good. Now to get Moses

18. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

On top of drafting Moore, clearly the Jets going all in on Berrios hype this morning is what shook Crowder and forced him to agree to the deal.

(Yes, I'm kidding)

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Depending on how much was saved, I was wondering if they might add a few million to Mayes contact this year while adding an extension. Might make sense for both sides.

REVISion likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Good job JD but lets get the rest of these guys in camp as well. We need the entire team from day 1.