Old-school Jets fans-What happened in 1986??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

But don’t forget the early 80s .... he made an impact during his rookie season of 1979 but 1980-82 he was on fire as well.....basically by 1986 he lost a step BUT in 1988 he seemed to be back to his old self but abruptly retired midway through the season.

patleahy likes this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

good point, MrJet80. Is there any record of how many "unofficial" sacks Gastineau had in those early seasons (80-82). I know that sacks did not become an official state until 1982. Pro Football Reference didn't have any sack totals for Gastineau until 82.

3. mrjet80

Really?? In 1981 he had 20 sacks - Klecko had 20 1/2..... that was when the DL got the nickname The Sack Exchange ... hence my picture.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  4. patleahy

yeah I was surprised to @mrjet80....I guess because they weren't yet an official stat. okay so I owe Mark an apology, I didn't realize that he was performing at such a high level as soon as he was in the league. My bad. Thanks for pointing out his early years to me. I will edit my post, lol. Sorry, Mark.

5. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

fwiw it wasn't all Gastineau. He got called for the penalty but there was another Jets player who I think was in on it who popped Kosar late who could've very well been also called. Jerry Holmes maybe? Howard?

6. patleahy

Good recall @JetsAreBadForYourHealth ...it was Howard. I included a link to the play so you can judge for yourself, @DefenseWinsChampionships The infamous play is at: 1:53:41

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Thnx you for that.

Yeah. Not as bad as I had thought (in my own mind).

And hardly a reason to place blame on just Mark alone (I'm going to chew my older brother out tomorrow) because the ball was placed only at the 32 yard line (after the penalty) and Cleveland still needed to march down the entire field.

You old timers were right; it was a team loss.

PS: Being born in 1985 I'm disappointed in all of you throwback old-school Football fans. Growing up you made me believe that defensive players can rough up QBs and made it sound like you could damn near send a QB into the hospital and onto a stretcher and delivered by an ambulance; without a QB roughing being called etc etc. But that tackle by Mark that was only 1.5 seconds late completely says otherwise (yes, the likes of Brady would've survived those era's too with QB treatment by the refs).

8. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Yea. Gastineau got that one on reputation. But if it wasn't him it would've been Howard. Had to call that. Just a stupid play all around.

mrjet80 and patleahy like this.
  9. mrjet80

Howard committed a defensive foul on the last drive I think that really screwed things up......defensive holding I think?

10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Yes, and it may have been pass interference if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u folks should start separate threads for those years that ended poorly......"what happened in"......

guess it would focus on the playoff loss years like this one in 86 and the collapse years.

great to read the history and thoughts behind the disasters.

patleahy likes this.
  12. patleahy

Great idea @jilozzo I really enjoy reading the memories and analysis of the knowledgeable Jets fans we have on this board who lived through and still vividly remember these seasons.

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

We don't forget that, but it's great bringing those stats up to current younger NFL fans. Either total by a player nowadays would cause the talking heads on TV and the sports blogs to go crazy week after week. WE HAD TWO on one team in one year. 41 1/2 freakin sacks! It was like Mantle and Maris in '61. It was special, yet frustrating how it didn't translate into a championship. (When Walton became coach we all thought that would put us over the top: Great offense AND Great defense. Oh well.) I was fortunate to be in attendance for all the home games during the "sack exchange" era if you want to call it that. What I remember most was how on third downs in passing situations, the crowd got loud, many stood on their feet, in anticipation of a sack or at least intense QB pressure. Similar to when a baseball pitcher has high K totals, and the crowd encourages another one with a two-strike count. I doubt I will ever witness that again. I can still see Lynn Dickey being enveloped in green jerseys.

mrjet80 and patleahy like this.
  14. mrjet80

I’m sure you also recall Kenny Stabler being tossed and slammed to the ground with the infield dust flying everywhere - the day the sack exchange was born in reality....

15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I was a kid at the time but I remember those days at Shea. The 28-3 win over GB that clinched a playoff birth for the time since 69 I believe was great. Even though I live in NJ about 20 minutes from MetLife I still wish the Jets could worked something out to stay in Queens/LI. Even today many season ticket holders still come from NY/LI.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets felt that they were in competition with the Giants for the northern NJ market. Shea was just a bit too far away from that market after the Giants moved to the Meadowlands.

The answer, of course, was to be a competent football team and win more than the Giants and drag the fans across the bridges to a stadium in Queens. However like today the Jets were not up to the task of being a competent franchise and so they felt they had to go out to NJ, even as a second-rate tenant of the Giants, and compete out there.

The history of the Jets is full of incompetent ownership. The Giants have been more than competent and the Jets have always played in their shadow with the exception of the early Namath years.

The problem with incompetent ownership is that the more they do the worse it gets.

Hess finally solved himself by hiring Parcells. He had been basically an absentee owner until the early 90's when his rising frustration with the Jets performance culminated in him bringing back a guy he knew in Rich Kotite. When that failed he just begged Parcells (and paid him a small fortune) to take over the franchise.

The Johnsons really need to take note of what finally worked for Hess when they make what seems like an inevitable 6th regime change (Bradway/Herm, Tannenbaum/Mangini, Idzik/Rex, Maccagnan/Bowles, Gase/Douglas) sometime in the next few years.

Note that there has almost always been continuity for the Jets in the regime changes with Bradway and Tannenbaum surviving the first, followed by Tannenbaum, Rex, Maccagnan and then Gase surviving the subsequent purges. Continuity is not what you need when your roster is broken and the play on the field stinks. You need real change then.

Finding the guy to run the organization without interference is what they need to do if they want to break that 52 year Super Bowl absence. It's not a half century jinx, it's an earned achievement.

Note that even the one full break with Maccagnan and Bowles in 2015 was marred by Woody's obsession with bringing back Revis. A move almost guaranteed to fail at that point but which nobody but Woody had any control over.

#216 Br4d, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I feel that this time, the Johnsons are paying attention to the things you mention. However, Woody will probably always be a sucker for the "gimmick" whether it be Favre, Tebow or Revis. But in the management and coaching areas he will take notice if this regime starts turning things around. I feel really good about that right now.

The only thing I'll add to you stadium comment, is that Hess was desperate for an upgrade in Stadium quality. He didn't really want to compete or share with the Giants, but was willing to do so to have better facilities. NYC was in a bad place financially back then, and would not be chipping in money. Had he waited longer he would have gotten that Queens/ LI area football stadium. Another factor was that he had his business offices in NJ too (Woodbridge) and I believe lived or owned a home in Deal. I used to travel from NJ to Shea to attend games and was greatly "convenienced" by the move over here - however, as a long time Jets fan I know where their heart was located and it certainly was not next to Secaucus. In the long run it hurt the franchise. Now, with the great set-up in Florham Park that they have it'll be tough to move back, but I wouldn't rule that out. Maybe after my lifetime...

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the reasons I am so down on the Jets right now is that it seems like we're doing the same old things over and over again and this cycle is no different.

The HC is a former defensive coordinator and a rookie HC.
    The OC and DC are both rookies.
    The QB is a highly-drafted rookie of questionable provenance.
    We signed a bunch of free agents to fill holes we should have drafted for.
    We traded up in the 1st round of the draft for a "sure thing".

It's like Groundhog Day in Jetsland. That we did all of these things in the season of Woody's return just makes it smell worse.

I get that people want to be optimistic but all of the above tells me that the Jets have actually learned nothing over the last two decades. We're just repeating the same old patterns over and over again.

ouchy likes this.
  19. mrjet80

I understand what you’re saying but the early returns on Douglas are good at least in my opinion. He seems to be attacking the holes on the roster the right way......and he has learned from some of the best in the field. The Jets prior GMs came basically from nowhere. I think the organization finally got this one right.

Wilson on the other hand ..... I won’t believe until I see him on the field. Been down this road way too many times with QBs....

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree with this to a certain extent. We are doing the same thing the Browns used to do.

Our draft was a mixed bag.

First things first. We had an extra 1st and 3rd from Adams, and we backed into the hugely valuable 2nd pick. So clearly we were going to get good things this draft. We'd have to have the worst GM in history to say that was a bad draft. We were basically guaranteed good things - it was just a question of how well we played our hand and how much good we got.

Trading up in the first round for a decent guard was terrible. Using picks 14, 66, and 86 on a guy that is projected as nothing more then a solid guard it way over paying. Wyatt Davis was taken with our 86th pick and he wasn't ranked that much lower then Tucker. Even using pick 14 on Tucker was a bit of a reach. That would be a move a team would make if he was the last piece of the puzzle. Not a rebuild move.

Taking an expensive chance with Wilson and then using 3 high picks on a decent guard is not great rebuilding. Yes we got two players we hope succeed. But comparing what we got to what we could have had is a little alarming to me. This draft has the potential to go down as one of the biggest debacles in Jets history.

#220 ouchy, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021