NYJ drafted us 3 of the most explosive (and productive) players coming out in Wilson/Elijah/Carter.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!!!

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've seriously considered that already.

However.

Coach Robert Saleh won't let me.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Considering defense won the championship last season its the perfect time to change your name.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

No thnx you.

Robert Saleh.
    Quinnen Williams.
    Carl Lawson.
    C.J Mosley.
    Marcus Maye.
    Hamsah Nasirildeen (as an FSU fan A+).

This Defense has serious top 5 potential under coach Saleh and if our younger CBs in Bryce Hall and Bless Austin can become household names I believe we've got a Playoffs Defense in the makings.

I don't want to jinx our Offense. I'll leave it up to Zach Wilson to lead the way without my JuJu.

KingRoach and ouchy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this is the 1st time since brett favre that I'm actually excited to see our offense play in the off season.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Since I've been a defensive nut job over the years this is actually the most excited I've been about our offense since the days of...

2002 with Chad Pennington, Curtis my favorite Martin, Laveranues Coles and Wayne Chrebet, Kevin Mawae, Randy Thomas and Kareem McKenzie along Richie Anderson.

Followed by offensive excitement heading into our 2006 season with Chad Pennington, Leon Washington (loved him as an FSU fan), Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery, Brandon Moore (most underrated Jet imo) along with our two Rookies in D'Brickishaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

I haven't been this excited since those days when Offensively speaking.

Heading into 2021 there are just too many Offensive talents who I can not wait to see and watch take the field under a Mike LaFleur led Offense.

Zach Wilson can become our next Chad Pennington (before the injuries)...

Michael Carter will capture the hearts of NYJ fans as Leon Washington once did...

Both Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore can become our next young duo of Coles and Moss @ WR...

Corey Davis as a super physical WR can capture the hearts of TGG as both Jerricho Cotchery and a healthy Quincy Enunwa once did...

To be continued (below)...

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Jamison Crowder reminds me of our legendary Wayne Chrebet in terms of natural and pure slot receiver ability...

Both Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker will capture our O-Line memories of our Brick-of-Gold in D'Brickishaw and Mangold...

And my sleeper pick is Chris Herndon Jr. Who I believe can become our next Dustin Keller now that he's both A.) Escaped Adam Gase and B.) Has a fresh start under a Robert Saleh led locker room (along with being surrounded by promising talent).

To be continued (below)...

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Combined? These 9 players in...

QB: Zach Wilson.
    RB: Michael Carter.
    WR: Denzel Mims.
    WR: Elijah Moore.
    WR: Corey Davis.
    WR: Jamison Crowder.
    LT: Mekhi Becton.
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker.
    TE: Chris Herndon Jr...

All have me A+ pumped up heading into 2021 because...

The last time I could create a thread like this was during our Rex Ryan days of #24 Darrelle Revis island, Antonio cro Cromartie, David hitman Harris, Bart can't wait Scott, Kris Jenkins, Shaun big katt Ellis, Kerry Rhodes (yes, I loved him in 2009) along with 3 underrated Jets in Calvin Pace/Bryan Thomas/Sione Pouha.

No. I'm not expecting this type of dominance from our offense, but the EXCITEMENT LEVEL is definitely there!

I'll admit. 1998 with Broadway Vinny, #28 Curtis Martin, both Keyshawn throw me the damn ball Johnson and #80 Mr. 3rd down Wayne Chrebet along with Jumbo Elliott, Kevin Mawae and rookie Jason Fabini on our O-Line was my absolute favorite Jets Offense of All-Time (but I won't put that type of pressure on these young kids).

#68 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

2006 offense was efficient not exactly exciting though. and chad was a smart game manager with a weak arm coming off 2 surgeries. I wasn't excited for that offense at all

patleahy likes this.
  10. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

as usual, good call @GasedAndConfused . I just checked out of sheer curiosity....you are spot on in your description of the 2006 offense...it was actually quite mediocre....it ranked 18th in the league in scoring and 25th in yardage.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2006.htm

11. GasedAndConfused

yeah but I was speaking of excitement. we had 2 rookie lineman a broken weak arm QB and an ok WR group. wasn't anything to be excited about. 2008 was more excitement with favre coming on board and he was on fire until the injury. we still finished 9th in offense. only time I remember us having a top 10 offense. maybe in 1998 as well? this year I think our offense can be exciting

patleahy likes this.
  12. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@GasedAndConfused I agree.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I haven't heard anyone refer to Herndon as Herndon Jr. I looked it up and he's Herndon IV.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

To each our own. You might've not had anything to be excited about in 2006, but I did.

I absolutely loved drafting both D'Brickishaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold during the 1st round and it was an exciting feeling for me as a fan (especially after 2005's awful O-Line play).

And as an FSU fan Leon Washington was my most exciting player as a 2006 rookie and an absolute 4th round steal (I miss Leon).

(Not all rookie highlights but 2006 was the EMERGENCE of Leon and it was EXCITING, for me)

And during just his rookie year of 2006 he combined for 920 All-purpose yards from scrimmage (and Jet fans were fish hooked ever since).

And both Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery were super exciting for me as well as they combined for 173 Receptions for 2,059 receiving yards and 12 TD catches.

You weren't excited about Jerricho Cotchery's 2006 emergence as a 3rd year player? Well, I was.

Because he went off for 82 catches for 961 receiving yards and 6 TD Receptions (and Jets fans were fish hooked ever since.

(Not all 2006 but 2006 was the EMERGENCE of Jerricho Cotchery and it was exciting, for me).

And we all know about Chad Pennington's injuries. They stole and robbed him of absolute greatness however statistics aside I loved #10 and was always excited to see him under Center.

So let me get this right...

We went from 4-12 in 2005 with Brooks Bollinger as our QB while both Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet both physically broke down once they suffered season ending injuries in 2005 (and neither one ever returned to an NFL football field again), one of the worst Jets O-Lines ever along with Justin (bust) McCareins as our #2 WR (4-12) to...

The return of Chad Pennington winning comeback player of the year. An electric Rookie Leon Washington. The emergence of 2006 Jerricho Cotchery (the year he captured our hearts alongside Coles) and two stud 1st round O-Lineman in Ferguson and Mangold while going 10-6 with a playoff birth?

And you're questioning me for having been EXCITED in 2006 when in comparison to 2005?!?!? Good God!

We went from 4-12 to 10-6 and the PLAYOFFS!

PS: 2008 and Favre was one of the most frustrating not exciting but most frustrating seasons for me. Ever.

Because there was nothing "exciting" about finishing the season 1-4 after an 8-3 start and completely missing the playoffs all because #4 hid his injury from us while going (throughout our final 5 games)...

98/175 (56.0%), 2 TDs/9 INTs with an abysmal QB Rating of only 55.2?!?!?

Are you kidding me?

And you call that "exciting"?

Like I said. To each our own.

2006 was super exciting for me to watch us go from 4-12 to 10-6 with new Offensive blood in Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, Nick Mangold and D'Brickishaw Ferguson while Chad earned comeback player of the year (heck, even Brad Smith as a rookie started getting some playing time in 2006).

It's not about how you start it's about how you finish and 2006 Jets finished 8-3 and made the playoffs compared to your 1-4 2008 Jets with Favre playing worse than RYAN LEAF (final 5 gms)!

#74 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

That 8-3 start was certainly exciting.

16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Hughes has been blown away by Moore. He wrote that entire article last week, and then had this on Tuesday:

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'll take 2006's 8-3 finish and into the postseason over 2008's 8-3 start in terms of level of excitement for me.

Because (copy and paste) there was nothing "exciting" about finishing the 2008 season @ 1-4 after an 8-3 start and completely missing the playoffs; all because #4 hid his injury from us while going (throughout our final 5 games)...

Brett Favre (Final 5 games of 2008)

• 98/175 (56.0%).
    • 2 TDs/9 INTs.
    • Abysmal QB Rating of only 55.2?!?!?
    • 1-4.

Nothing about that was "exciting" for me 2008 was the most frustrating final 5 games ever. Brett Favre was Ryan Leaf esque throughout his stretch run.

patleahy likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

All I said was 8-3 was exciting. If Favre had stayed healthy they were a super bowl contender

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

@ouchy where you at man? Still want to pretend Moore is nothing more than a slot receiver?

Because both coaching staffs (Ole' Miss & NYJ) felt and feel, differently.

(Elijah Moore was actually utilized all over that Ole' Miss offense).

PJ4Ever likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

True. And had Pennington never got injured against the Giants preseason we would've won a SB or two. But yes, 2008's 8-3 start was exciting but unfortunately Favre cared more about his streak of games Played record than actually contending for a SB.

patleahy and PJ4Ever like this.