Very encouraging interview with CJ Mosley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, May 27, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What up with that hair...

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure if a player opted out they got a couple hundred thou--not the full contract value but I'm not 100%--maybe you know otherwise?

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Most ultimately effectively got nothing. They got a $150,000 stipend, which was just an advance on their 2021 salary. Teams have the right to get that money back from any player who doesn't earn $150,000 this year, although it would probably not be worth the bad PR if they did it.

The only exception was so-called "high risk" players, who got $350,000, which was treated as salary that isn't offset this year (to be considered high risk, a player had to have a confirmed diagnosis of at least one of the CDC's 15 underlying medical conditions for developing severe illness from COVID-19). The idea was that players who didn't play for a legitimate medical reason got a benefit over people who didn't play for any other reason.

NCJetsfan, BacktoQueens and IDFjet like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can the guy still play? Yes or No... Talk is cheap.

RPOZ51, Endlessly Counting and cval like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Sort of felt like his injury was the beginning of this new era of misery.

Or maybe it was hiring Gase....

6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I no longer think. I believe.

Mike Maccagnan was worse than John Idzik. Much. Idzik actually has a job w/the Jaguars. As far as I know, - Maccagnan does not.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

mosley had a 10 million roster bonus he got paid in march prior to his opt out that he collected. he did not get his 6 mil salary which is what he's earning this year as it got differed a year

IDFjet likes this.
  8. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Amen!

Show me starting in September

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That bonus was guaranteed, so it was going to be paid either way. Since it was paid last year, that is $10 million that counted against the cap in a season where the team was going nowhere, so it is certainly not worse for the team that it won't be paid this year. If he got paid $10 million to not play for a shitty team and a shitty coach last year, now he's getting paid $10 million less to play for a below-average team and a complete novice at coach, and being a year older when his contract runs out. I don't see any particular advantage in that equation. And, of course, he had no idea what the team was going to look like in 2021 when he made his decision anyway.

BacktoQueens and IDFjet like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Holy crap--I researched the roster bonus and it looks like he did get it! Now I feel like he raped us the little bitch. He played that great.

Due to his opt-out his whole contract is shifted 1 year but for whatever reason, the roster bonus wasn't shifted so he rang the register.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm aware of that but he still got paid 10 mil to opt out due to the way it's structured. I know in a sense it helped us out cap wise and he's cheap this year since last year was a wash but the point still stands he got paid 10 mil by the jets for opting out. when the contract was signed the assumption was he'd be playing in 2020 on both sides. then covid happened and he took the 10 mil and sat home

yes because it's a roster bonus. He was on the roster. then covid happened and players were allowed to opt out and he did. it's why a lot of people didn't agree with it. most players got paid very little to opt out. and it was really a loan from the future. mosley got paid more then 80 % of the players who actually played in the NFL