Which of our draft picks will most likely bust?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 24, 2021.

?

Which of our draft picks will most likely bust?

1. Wilson

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. AVT

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Moore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Carter

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Quite often actually. As passes would clank off the hands of Herndon in critical spots, the snap would sail over Sam's head, Winters would appear to literally step out of the way of the rusher that would arrive to Sam's throat about 1/50th of a second after the ball got to him. Then of course last year was the painful tendency to run Gore into the line and get maybe a yard or two. Then on 2nd and long instead of giving him a couple shots at it we'd just plow Gore into the line a second time leaving Sam a 3rd and 8 or whatever with shit receivers and no margin for error. I never understood how that was doing the poor kid any favors.

We'll see how he does with Carolina. If he does nothing with a chance at being on a real team then I guess the Jets were right to get rid of him but I see Rotowire is projecting him for 64% completion 4391 yards and 28/15 TD/INT. Not sure what they are basing that off of exactly but I guess time will tell.

2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

No, I thought Berrios is actually a pretty good little player when thrown the ball, which was rare even when open. But you bring up Berrios, seriously? We had other WRs too.

Sam also had legs which he didn't use until midway through his last miserable season with the NYJ was not good at changing plays at the line of scrimmage. How many times did he improvise on plays? Did he do anything well?

I thought Gase was a really shitty coach coaching a really shitty QB.

I had more faith in Gore to make a play than Darnold.

I looking forward to Sam shitting the bed in Carolina. Hopefully, Maye picks him off 4 times in the first half and they bench his lame ass.

GasedAndConfused and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

abyzmul and Jets79 like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t recall there being as many ardent Sanchez defenders. There were people that floated his playoff record out there but most agreed that he really wasn’t a good, let alone great, QB. I’ll admit he was more fun to watch than anyone aside of 2015 Fitz over the past decade though, which is sad. I can’t recall posters getting as bent out of shape as they were over the Wilson pick, though, and he hasn’t thrown a pass yet. People hated the trade up for Darnold but I think there was still more optimism on the whole for the guy.

I understand people’s passion about the position. I’d mentioned it before but you’d have to go through the teams entire history to put together one good careers worth of QB play from a statistical point of view. People are starved for good QB play....just for good football in general really, but we’ve had that more recently than we’ve had a QB who could string together a few good seasons in a row.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. major33

No saga. Both sucked from day 1 as a Jet. The show was over before it began. The only thing you had was the countdown until Gase was fired and Sam dumped. Really no different than the Kotite era, except at least Gase tried.

It is one play call and a specific one at that. A play they probably practiced a lot. A 4th and 1. Not your normal play call. Gase is still an idiot for not giving his football IQ challenged QB additional options which shows he did not have confidence Darnold would make the right decision or even execute on audibles in crucial spots.

I am looking forward to Sam throwing lots of picks in Carolina when he tries to audible out of plays.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They might limit him there as well. Reading defenses wasn’t exactly his strong suit.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I’m not living in the past. How about an option where you can vote that none of them will bust. Go Jets!

NCJetsfan, westiedog1 and K'OB like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What is the difference between you sounding off at people disparaging Sam's talents while doing the same to a guy trying his hardest and not actually looking that bad in his very limited role (Berrios) who was saddled with a shit QB and a shitter HC/OC.

There is a role for Berrios out there, you only have to look at the Bills to see that role being filled perfectly by a carbon copy type player in Beasley but that was too much for the tiny genius mind of Adam Gase to work out.

Darnold has enough film of him ignoring wide open WR's to convince most people he was done, never mind his crazy throws into multi coverage over and over again, best of luck to him at his new home, it is time to move on people he is a Panther now and the only thing that should concern us is, what number pick he will deliver to us next year, higher the better is the only answer to that.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Think we're conditioned to expect nothing from our Round 2 picks by now so really it's between AVT and Wilson.

AVT just needs to be a pretty solid, longterm starter in his position and short of being a liability or a consistent troubler of the law then he'll of met expectations. Zach doesn't have that luxury due to his position and potential wage requirements down the road. Being a middle of the road QB in the Cousings, Bridgewater vein would be a vast imrovement over all that's come before but we're going to need him to operate at a much higher level or we'll be in reset mode once again before we're halfway throuh the decade.

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

THIS!

I love this board, and I understand the collective mindset, BUT c'mon. Where else but here is this not only a topic, but gets mostly responses of who will bust rather than one like this that says it's just not right? It's just not right! I respectfully choose not to choose.

major33, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

bust rate of 63%

12. major33

Very true once they get past the Sam he's a real nice guy schtick & figure out he has no clue at the line of scrimmage. All we heard about him in NY is that he's a really nice person. He'll bounce back because he's nice. Awful QB. Some Jets fans act like he could be Herbert or Burrow if only he had a better HC. A 5 pick Sam special in the opening game would be a very nice start to our season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

GREAT post! Even though I can understand the roots of such a mindset, the negativity and cynicism here is sickening and ridiculous. The Jets have obviously driven many posters crazy, as they somehow think there's a connection between what Bradway, Tanny, Mac, Idzik, Rex, Bowles, Edwards, and Gase did and what JD and Saleh will do, and as long as its the Jets there's no hope, yet they can't won't change teams for which they root, and think they have no choice in the matter. They somehow think that being negative, irrational, and jaded about their team is being a fan.

major33 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Actually, AVT was a 1st round pick. Moore was our 2nd round pick and to make it worse, he's a WR. Horror of horrors! We're doomed! The sky is falling! Pretty ridiculous, isn't it. I'm glad to see that we still have some rational, thoughtful posters here that haven't sold out to the negativity, pessimism and cynicism.

major33 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

and

Thanks for your positivity and rationality!

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

what if i told you, none of them?

NCJetsfan and papapump like this.
  17. major33

I take each individual season on its own which also includes the front office and coaching staff. So far, JD and our new coaching staff have given us no reason not to trust them. To the people on the fence, It must be their egos getting in the way or something that prevents them from having a positive outlook. You know how badly I wanted those 2 defensive players this season, but JD went and drafted AVT and Moore instead. I love those 2 players, so how the hell could I be upset with that? Ego? No. He has a plan and you can't draft everyone you want. Plus next year is really when JD can have some fun in the draft since we won't need a QB. I'm already excited about this season, our new QB, and next year's draft. And we get to root against Seattle. So many fun things to root for this season that as a Jets fan, we've never had this before.

I'm a very tough critic of all my teams and the first one to throw everyone overboard if they shit the bed. It will be no different with this regime and players. But again, they have only given us reasons to be extremely positive. This also includes giving us a ton of flexibility through the salary cap and future draft choices should things not work out as planned. That IMO is extremely important when building a franchise & the mark of a great GM. Always maintain flexibility because even the best laid plans almost always get derailed in pro sports.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Exactly. Good post! Obviously some posters can't do that. Their ego will not allow them to be seen as wrong or to deviate and accept something different from what they thought was right.

The bold is fine and understandable. What I don't get is people looking for things to get negative about from the moment a GM or HC is hired and criticize every move they make. It's like they want to be the first to spot a failure or to show how smart and knowledgeable they are, and instead, they just show how cynical, negative and sad they are.

major33 likes this.
  19. major33

I only included the bold as part of the bigger picture. At some point, if they lose our trust, then I have no problem admitting this regime is terrible and our QB is another Darnold. However, I trust the front office and coaching staff until they give us reasons why we shouldn't. So far, I haven't seen one thing that this new regime has done that makes me question their decision making. Not that I'm right or you're right or maybe we're overlooking something, but if someone can show us something questionable then let's talk about it instead of harping on the same old Jets.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's a solid depth WR but should never be featured in an offense like we had to.